The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD leaked prior to release, port uses partial emulation tech

89ae0520-db4d-11eb-be75-e3386aa48ab1.jpg

For those that sail the high seas, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD has leaked onto the internet and is available to be played via emulation or on hacked Nintendo Switch systems, before the game's actual release date, set for July 16th. As usual, interested parties have been poking around in the game's files to find out any interesting tidbits about the port. Twitter user Oatmeal Dome has already uncovered some details about Skyward Sword, such as the fact that despite being recompiled for the Switch, the game emulates some elements straight from the Wii version, which makes sense, as this is what Nintendo did with Super Mario Galaxy's port in Super Mario 3D All Stars. However, this is not the same emulator used for Galaxy. Oatmeal Dome mentioned that a quick look at the files shows that the HD version emulates the Texture Environment Unit of the Wii, and that there are BRRES format files, which were used on the Wii as well.

Please remember that sharing illegal files, or "warez" is against GBAtemp's TOS.

Wavy

Splatana Stamper Enjoyer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Emulation again?
Now that's proof that Nintendo doesn't care about their games since they have a buttload of money now.
Plus, they know people will buy it anyway so, it's a win win situation for them.
As stated earlier in the thread, what SS HD is using is just a wrapper for the GPU, specifically for models and textures which isn't inherently lazy as recreating everything for the Switch's GPU would be a waste of time.

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The devs were so lazy that they didn't even bother to delete textures from the Nintendo Wii that aren't used on the switch, like the one I extracted from the archives a few minutes ago
th_explain_01.png

There are also files that they removed at least 300 lines of text and left the file blank on the switch, like one that gives you game hints

Reactions: Bladexdsl

banjojohn

Trophies
XP
Country

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was supposed to be part of a 3 pack and it got released by itself just because they knew the link to botw2 would make it irresistible for most
It's... Concerning to see that the quality didn't change during development, but it's not surprising given the current state of Nintendo.

Honestly, even knowing the game is painfully boring, I would buy it if it was like 20 bucks, maybe 30...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's intentional.
This way people will desperately buy any crap they put out, even if it has only 10% of the content previous games had.
It's why they killed off smaller IPs and are focusing only on the big ones.

The only thing the switch had going for it was having portable versions of (mostly old) console games, but now steam boy is going to do it way better...
I wonder if they'll straighten up their act
will they fuck, its nintendo, we have all heard the bullshit promise of "better game support" since the N64.

we will see soon another crap inferior console come soon, subpar to the PS4/XBX1 in order to compete with the PS5/XBSX and itll have some other form of bullshit gimmick and theyll again promise to do a better job at getting the games it yet again failed to get....... which translates to all the games it promised to get, that it failed again, aka old games we have been there, done that and worn that fucking t-shirt to death.

its nintendo, the most none innovative cheap company period, they only survive because it has a massive fanbase of brainwashed sheep that cant see what it really is, because they like its franchises, perfect example all the sheep that will blindly say BOTW is the best zelda game going.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never beat the game on the wii, and I didn't buy it either. ;) I did buy it on the switch though. a long time ago, I bought the skyward sword wiimote from a seller, then later I bought the nunchuck, which was a club Nintendo prize for platinum in Japan only afaik from another seller. here they are (please ignore the baby Yoda sheets on my bed ;)):

20210716_110616.jpg

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They definitely could have decreased the final install size, but i'm still rather impressed. I almost finished the game with Dolphin, this version seems quite good though.

Even if it's emulation, they did enough work to change the controls. It's a good port. Constant 60 FPS as far as I can tell.

Last edited by TheCasualties,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
A leak before launch again? Who in Nintendo is doing this, I wonder?
Nobody in Nintendo is doing it, 99.99999999999% of the time leaks just come from people who get stock of games early. Sometimes those copies just accidentally get sold early to people, sometimes people working at a game store will take a copy and dump it, or even just give it to a friend or something to dump, but it's 100% not somebody under Nintendo's payroll doing it.

1 million dollar question°: can you play this game like it was in original version, as wiimote on wii?
We've literally known that from day 1, yes, they still have the awful motion controls.

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A leak won’t reveal anything that the official release will…just sooner. Are we that impatient a society that we can’t wait a couple of days?
If you’re convinced you’ll like the game…pre-order it or Day 1 buy it.
If you’re on the fence…be patient. All your questions will be answered in time.
Why wait a couple days when you have the option of playing early? It hurts no one, especially if you still bought the game.

waiting a couple days to play it on either end hurts no one

Reactions: Lacius

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I plan to play the game with the skyward sword joycons, once I get them. however, I'm afraid that I might forget what's going on in ys ix if I do or forget how to play the game or something. though, it's almost identical to ys viii in a lot of aspects, and I remember that game well (went through it twice and it took 60 hours each time). anyway, I may play skyward sword afterwards unless I decide to continue with dragon quest xi (only at the second town). @AmandaRose will kill me if I don't play and beat that game. :P

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to play the game with the skyward sword joycons, once I get them. however, I'm afraid that I might forget what's going on in ys ix if I do or forget how to play the game or something. though, it's almost identical to ys viii in a lot of aspects, and I remember that game well (went through it twice and it took 60 hours each time). anyway, I may play skyward sword afterwards unless I decide to continue with dragon quest xi (only at the second town). @AmandaRose will kill me if I don't play and beat that game. :P
I will send Erik to get ya :rofl2:

images.jpeg.jpg

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also liked the motion controls in the game. I like them with the wiimote, not sure about the joycons yet as I haven't tried it. the joycons as a whole seem too small for my hands, so sometimes it's difficult to play games with them, at least for me. I never had that problem with the wiimote. anyway, some games do motion controls well like skyward sword, others do them badly or feel needlessly tacked on, but that's just my opinion. ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

one game where it seems needlessly tacked on is dkc returns. I'm pretty damn good at that game, but sometimes the roll (shaking the wiimote) doesn't cooperate, and I end up dying (especially on the world 4 boss where there's little room to roll on those mine carts).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw