The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD leaked prior to release, port uses partial emulation tech

89ae0520-db4d-11eb-be75-e3386aa48ab1.jpg

For those that sail the high seas, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD has leaked onto the internet and is available to be played via emulation or on hacked Nintendo Switch systems, before the game's actual release date, set for July 16th. As usual, interested parties have been poking around in the game's files to find out any interesting tidbits about the port. Twitter user Oatmeal Dome has already uncovered some details about Skyward Sword, such as the fact that despite being recompiled for the Switch, the game emulates some elements straight from the Wii version, which makes sense, as this is what Nintendo did with Super Mario Galaxy's port in Super Mario 3D All Stars. However, this is not the same emulator used for Galaxy. Oatmeal Dome mentioned that a quick look at the files shows that the HD version emulates the Texture Environment Unit of the Wii, and that there are BRRES format files, which were used on the Wii as well.

Please remember that sharing illegal files, or "warez" is against GBAtemp's TOS.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Been playing it a bit, pretty disappointed with it. Barely looks like they did anything at all to make it "HD" beyond some antialiasing and 60fps, I think Skyward Sword 4k looks miles better than this lazy ass port.

Combat still controls like shit, the OG Monster Hunter "move the analog stick!" workaround just doesn't feel good at all. But I do like the Loftwing controls (and I guess that'd translate to the bug thing and all that) now so that's good. I hate that you have to hold a button to move the damn camera, and you can't move it while dashing. They should've swapped the way combat and camera movement works, holding L to activate the combat mode and have the camera control naturally with the right stick.

Oh well, Nintendo gonna Nintendo and the Nin10yearolds will eat it up so not much can be done.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still don't get people calling this hybrid emulation stuff of using emulation just for the gpu lazy. it makes sense if they really wanted it to look faithful to the original and it honestly seems like it would actually be more work to do this hyrbid method then full emulation or full naitive

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
emulation.... thats a bit lazy
It's definitely easier than repackaging the old libraries for the Switch. Think about it. If you were developing a big rerelease, you wouldn't want to go and redo the years of work you went into making the original. Thus, partial emulation can be used to help speed up the process so you don't have to do the unnecessary work that goes into porting big games.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to say it because nobody has said it yet I'm extremely disappointed. Not in the game persay but how it was presented they should have just did a trilogy of 3 games. Skyward Sword , Windwaker, and Twilight Princess. If they are going to rehash games no problem but give us the full Zelda experience.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm going to say it because nobody has said it yet I'm extremely disappointed. Not in the game persay but how it was presented they should have just did a trilogy of 3 games. Skyward Sword , Windwaker, and Twilight Princess. If they are going to rehash games no problem but give us the full Zelda experience.
I agree. Honestly all the "Wii" games could have worked in a package. Windwaker kind of just got a remake... damn just put it on the eshop already...

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree. Honestly all the "Wii" games could have worked in a package. Windwaker kind of just got a remake... damn just put it on the eshop already...

They can do it if they really wanted too but to make them more $$$ they rather sell you the games separately. This game is over 10 years old it shouldn't be priced the same way they are pricing BOTW2. But people have to realize Nintendo gets away with this because this game is going to sell millions.

I think I have this game on the Wii but I hate the silly wii controls. I always hated the wii because they forced the silly controls on you opposing to making you use a gamepad.

Last edited by Goku1992A,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This. I mean they already made HD remasters for Windwaker and Twilight Princes on the Wii U. But here we go again if you got cookies on your plate they will serve more milk to go with them.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think the only way Nintendo would've done that would've been a Zelda 3D All-Stars limited time 3-in-1 back in February

Reactions: Goku1992A

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd go for a SSHD, MC3D and OoTHD
I think those three are the very first games in the timeline if i'm not wrong
Plus, I'd love to see a MC3D
It's my second favorite 2D Zelda game (behind LA)

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
I dont know what people were expecting there are so many "new" games on the switch you could just buy once of those. If you never played this before then this is a totally new experience and at that point it would not matter. For me (having completed it on the wii) I would not recommend a rebuy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol