ROM Hack RELEASE The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - Vegetation Restoration "Mod"

tombly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those with a keen eye (or those who had simply laid their eyes upon the PS4 or PC versions) may have noticed a lot of vegetation was stripped from the Nintendo Switch version of this game. I was slightly puzzled by this decision, but simply assumed it was related to optimization. I decided to tinker with some files and found that copying a folder named 'plt' over to the switch version restored all of the missing vegetation (and some trees in certain maps!) with little to zero performance penalty.

Download & Installation
Simply download the zip file attached to this post and extract its contents to the root directory of your SD card. That's it.
The archive is set up to be a simple drag and drop replacement compatible with the Atmosphere CFW, but it should theoretically work with any CFW provided romfs replacements are possible and the folder structure is the same. (romfs/data/plt/).

Will this kill my performance?!
As I said above, not really. The good majority of zones in the game will retain their 30fps performance. A select few maps with a high volume of grass can cause minor dips between 25 and 28 FPS in specific areas at very specific camera angles. I was really only able to find these spots when intentionally trying to test performance at angles where the most grass was visible. Generally speaking, you should not experience any negative performance impact during general traversal through zones. The framerate can also drop slightly during combat in areas with high volumes of grass, but the game is still very playable during these rare instances.

Comparisons
JwdUa8F.jpg
pLEL0XD.jpg
3nTlwBb.jpg
nAtIi0B.jpg
IdbZ4Ph.jpg
KzgvtZK.jpg
rGrbWZx.jpg
LVIzLAh.jpg
Some of you may have noticed that the GPU utilization is a bit high in some of these screenshots, but to be honest, GPU utilization spikes erratically everywhere in this game. It's tough to get a real reading because of this. Rest assured, performance is still acceptable with this mod.

If anyone has any questions, let me know and I'll be happy to assist. :)

Attachments

• cs3-switch-grass-restore.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 324

Fali

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thanks for this one!

It looks gorgeous and the ery same version that exists in PS4.

I got the idea to ask here too like in another post from 1080 mod.
Do you have consider to recreate this mod but in Cold Steel IV?

Thanks!

tombly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this one!

It looks gorgeous and the ery same version that exists in PS4.

I got the idea to ask here too like in another post from 1080 mod.
Do you have consider to recreate this mod but in Cold Steel IV?

Thanks!
This mod isn't needed for CS4. The vegetation was not cut in that game's Nintendo Switch vesion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.