1. Graber

OP Graber Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Trails of Cold Steel 3 for the Nintendo Switch has a hardcoded frame limit of 30FPS, despite the PC release having arbitrary framerate support of up to 480FPS. Although it's obvious that the Switch won't be hitting those frames, by upping the limit up to 60FPS there's some places the game will actually hit 60FPS despite the previously imposed limit. For some, even a framerate a little bit more than 30FPS, like 45FPS or so, might be enough of an improvement to make the game more enjoyable. If you're into overclocking, that will help the game to reach 60FPS in more places as well.

@Kirby567fan went ahead and improved the patch with additional graphical tweaks that should help the game reach 60FPS on more areas and other improvements:
    Note: This patch will only work on the 1.0.1 western version of the game.

Installation:
    Download the zip file attached to this post and extract it in the root of your sd card, and done. The zip is made for Atmosphere users, if you're using other CFW then you'll need to see how ips patches can be used on your CFW, if supported, and use the ips file that is inside the folders.

Known issues:
    - Frame pacing might be bad if the framerate is not stable.
    - Scrolling through menus might be faster than normal.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Last edited by Graber, Oct 24, 2020
    Kirby567fan, masagrator and tombly like this.
  2. tombly

tombly Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    nice!!

Graber likes this.
  3. masagrator

masagrator The developper

Poland
    Thanks. :)

Couldn't find it on my first try and never got back to it.
    Nice to see new people making those patches.

You will be trying to find where it's stored speed of menu layer?

Last edited by masagrator, Oct 24, 2020
    Graber likes this.
  4. Kirby567fan

Kirby567fan GBAtemp Fan

Morocco
    For those trying to get a bit more performance out of the game in intensive areas, I made some changes to this mod that include the following:
    • Changed shadow resolution to 1536 instead of 4096 which was too overkill for 720p.
    • Changed shadow casting distance from 0.8 to 1.0(has pretty much no effect on performance but does improve visuals).
    • The game is always forced to run in the docked profile since it has some added AA that doesnt hurt performance at all.
    • Added 16xAF to the game wich greatly improve texture quality.
    All of the above is applied to docked mode.

This was tested at 844mhz on GPU, and in the worst performing areas, Heimdallr Vainqueur Street and Ordis, it got me to 45FPS lowest in the worst camera angles, so the rest of the game should be in the high 50s or a locked 60FPS.
    Also bear in mind that I was using the grass restoration mod when doing the tests so if youre not using it performance should be better.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Kirby567fan, Oct 24, 2020
  5. Graber

OP Graber Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Yeah, it took me a while to find the 2nd limit (the one done by the game itself instead of just nvn present interval stuff). I used the PC version as a reference since that one has arbitrary framerate, although it was still hard to find due to heavy compiler optimizations on the switch build, lot's of inlined functions and stuff. Not sure if I'll do the menu stuff, I couldn't find it on my first try.

That's awesome! I'll add it to the main post, thanks!

Kirby567fan likes this.
  6. Kirby567fan

Kirby567fan GBAtemp Fan

Morocco
    Since I got the resolution stuff figured out, I made a bunch of resolution mods for those trying to get more or less performance out of the game.
    The resolution included are:
    • 360p, 480p and 540p for those trying to get good performance with only handheld GPU clocks.
    • 630p for a perfect 60FPS in docked mode most of the time.
    • 864p, 972p and 1080p for those that prefer better visual along with an unlocked framerate.
    Note: For the resolutions lower than 720p, the HUD resolution has not been changed so HUD will still be clear. For resolution higher than 720p the HUD resolution will match the rendering resolution.

Also even at 1080p the game can get to 60FPS in the highways and overworlds along with some cities or specific districts in those cities.

Attached Files:

masagrator likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Legend, Heroes, Trails