The Kingdom Hearts series is coming to PC via Epic Games

After years of being available only on consoles, the PC platform will be seeing a port of a massive RPG franchise: Square Enix’s Kingdom Hearts. Epic Games will have Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, 2.5 Remix, 2.8, 3, and Melody of Memory all available on its storefront. All of them will be launching exclusively on the Epic Games Store on March 30th, with 1.5+2.5 Remix to retail for $49.99, while the rest are priced at $59.99.

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cant wait until they give it out for free like a year or two later. I'm actually pretty sure my sister got the 1.5 remake for PS3 when it first released. so if anything i could just use that.

D

Deleted User

Played so many JRPGs I could never count them.
Claming that KH combat system is basic is objectively out of place, especially considering it was first released on PS2 and very few games were like that.
I understand that most JRPG fans are bound to the (actually-not-so-much) tactical turn-based system and see everything that is not turn-based as the "casual gamers stuff", but this is just asinine. KH's combat was built and enriched with several ispirations from various genres and includes lots and lots of options for the players to use (hack 'n' slash melee, magic, reaction command, evocations, drive gauge, party members aids and combo). What about is basic, for Heaven's sake? A "basic" action RPG is somewhat of a Tales Of, surely not a Kingdom Hearts game.

And by the by, I say this as a mudslinger of the series... It really has gone downhill with the III chapter and was already headed that way previously. Not exactly in the mood of defending it but sometimes I ask myself where the heaviness of such claims comes from.

Oh good one showed up gave a long rant then said "not exactly in the mood of defending it" lmao.

I'll be honest I have not played a ton of 3 so maybe it is deeper but 1 or 2 are not deep in combat.

Last edited by ,

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What's the difference between steam and epic games? Sorry just a console player.
Steam has achievements, card drops, reviews, communities, flexible return policies, and is owned by western capital. Epic has... well, a few games and China money basically.

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
The xbox versions of Kingdom hearts games should have cross play with PC like dragon quest 11 s that can be played on xbox one and pc.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
What's the difference between steam and epic games? Sorry just a console player.

As a store/client, well here’s their roadmap of what they have added and what’s yet to come e.g. achievements:
https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap

Steam also has a few other things such as built in streaming, native Linux support, etc.

You’ll also have more subjective reasons such as people not wanting multiple clients, divided libraries, dealing with Epic, distaste for their exclusivity deals, etc.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Widely overpriced, but I'm sure the price will come down over time, although not stated, it's probably a 1 year exclusivity agreement, so I give it 18 months before we get the collection for ~$40-50 during a Steam sale.

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KH3 comes with remind, so if it can run at 2K/60fps is a kinda nice price, but you should wait for the others to be on sale. I say it and I really love this games so... XD

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
love the series, but there's a good chance my laptop won't be able to run the games. I was getting 15fps or less in dragon quest xi. opening was fine, but once I got to the overworld, it was unplayable. that's before I knew about steam's return policy, so I still own it. maybe my next pc can run it. anyway, I pirated kingdom hearts 3 on the ps4. I tested it, but haven't really played it.
The original DQ11 is pretty resource intensive. Especially on the GPU. It's locked to 30fps on consoles but supports 60+ on PC, but it doesn't always hit 60fps at 1080p on my GTX 1060. They've since replaced the original steam release with a port of the Switch version. It has more content but substantially pared back graphics. It reportedly runs immensely better thanks to the visual downgrades.

KH 1, 2, BBS, 3D and Melody will probably run ok even on a lot of weak PC's and laptops. Except for texture improvements, they're still using the PS2 engine, models, effects and other assets. Just at a higher resolution and 60fps. Even the Switch runs Melody at a locked 60fps.

KH 0.2 and 3 are the ones that might choke some PC's. Still probably not as resource intensive as DQ11 unless the ports are trash. Digital Foundry did a tech analysis on the console versions. There's options for either a locked 30fps or a dynamic 60fps. At the max resolutions of each console, the range is 40-60fps. If you force the PS4 Pro to render at 1080p and disable super sampling, it does generally hit 60fps.

Last edited by granville,
Reactions: godreborn

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah...

...I'm all aboard the "wait for the Steam release" train! CHOO! CHOO!

You could wait for the Steam release and the sale that has the whole series discounted.

or you could play lat's say *cof cof "alternatively" cof cof* somehow, and buy the steam version in the future.

anyhow, is so good to see KH series going off exclusivity. same thing with persona games. good!

Last edited by MadMakuFuuma,
D

Deleted User

Cool that its coming to pc. Costs way to much though tbh. Already own all of them except MoM on ps4 anyway

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I mean it's cool, I'll finally get to start the series, but at this price lol, I'll get those on torrent and buy them when it's cheaper

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They never said they were exclusive forever, the only way to know for sure it's going to remain exclusive is if they're first party games, and even then it's up to the parent company.

As for "Give me a reason to own an xbox ps4 etc.", well, you're just now realizing there's no real reason to buy a console?

The main benefit you get is that the game is available to you earlier than it will be available to people who don't buy consoles, that is your incentive, and it's incredibly childish to get mad that now other people can play the same games you already had access to.
They never said otherwise. How else are you gonna interperter "exclusive"
It SHOULD be forever. Imo. else it is just a timegated multi platform title.

Ishzark

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Alright, who's ready to go bankrupt with me
bruh.jpg
RIP money

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Erm... As someone not familiar with the franchise, I've got to ask: wtf is with this numbering? :unsure:
Okay, it's not Microsoft kind of counting, but just to be sure : is this the chronological order to play these games (assuming there's an overarching storyline), and is this the complete story of not?

(I also don't get what the appeal to them is. Surely they don't expect their customers to pay one third with retro cash, one third with a remastered credit card and one third with a PayPal remix, right? :unsure:)
Hi there, former self. :)

Since you (I) asked, I've dug up a comic that explains everything:
180304.jpg

comics

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: sup