The Kingdom Hearts series is coming to PC via Epic Games

After years of being available only on consoles, the PC platform will be seeing a port of a massive RPG franchise: Square Enix’s Kingdom Hearts. Epic Games will have Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, 2.5 Remix, 2.8, 3, and Melody of Memory all available on its storefront. All of them will be launching exclusively on the Epic Games Store on March 30th, with 1.5+2.5 Remix to retail for $49.99, while the rest are priced at $59.99.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no way someone who is used to playing full rpgs could argue "Kingdom Hearts is great because of the combat" the story is good characters obviously, even some light puzzles are fine but gameplay is just very basic. I always thought it was more geared towards kids which makes sense since it's mostly Disney characters.
You'd be surprised, there are plenty of fanboys who will eat you alive if you imply anything about the games is less than perfect.

It's not exclusive to KH fans, try telling a Dark Souls fan that the camera in FromSoft games is shit, they'll tell you it's "part of the experience".

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Exactly what I wanted to hear! I'm on it when it's out... I played a game called ni no kuni at some point last year & even tho it was semi turn based... I really got into it & completed 1 & 2... & I was thinking this was going that way... But full ARPG.... It's a done deal....
Story I still don't get it. 3 I don't like. 1 & 2 good.

Combat get better once you level up and get those cool aerials moves.

Reactions: SuperDan
D

Deleted User

You'd be surprised, there are plenty of fanboys who will eat you alive if you imply anything about the games is less than perfect.

It's not exclusive to KH fans, try telling a Dark Souls fan that the camera in FromSoft games is shit, they'll tell you it's "part of the experience".

I'm sure there are, but they're wrong so I don't care.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Story I still don't get it. 3 I don't like. 1 & 2 good.

Combat get better once you level up and get those cool aerials moves.
You know it's one of those game I just skipped for one reason or another... Or I was playing something else.. But it's always been on my radar..

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You know it's one of those game I just skipped for one reason or another... Or I was playing something else.. But it's always been on my radar..
I would say temper your expectations.

As was mentioned it has a serious fanbase -- a release of a handheld effort would usually see the hacking sections here flooded just like pokemon would when the game is out in a month.
I have tried multiple games, handheld and console. Never got it to click and struggle to even understand why. The controls are awful (the late game air move stuff is marginal at best as an improvement), camera worse (even bad by PS2 standards), story absolutely nothing to write home about (imagine any generic Square-Exix plot but made even sillier by dint of having to drip feed a few characters and locations from Disney and Square titles).

Also the keyblade is a stupid idea.

"but but Disney and Square (Enix) in one game". Meh, don't care about Disney and not like Square have done anything for me lately. For the most part feels like a fan mashup game or silly ROM hack. Even the modern worn out family guy-simpsons-futurama parodies/jabs at each other get more of a smile.

"but this was a game of my childhood". I am sorry your childhood was filled with awful games for this to be a stand out one.

Anyway I have probably just uncorked a bottle of pure flamebait. Really don't go into this expecting some ageing masterpiece as much as post 16 bit Disney cash in game.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say temper your expectations.

As was mentioned it has a serious fanbase -- a release of a handheld effort would usually see the hacking sections here flooded just like pokemon would when the game is out in a month.
I have tried multiple games, handheld and console. Never got it to click and struggle to even understand why. The controls are awful (the late game air move stuff is marginal at best as an improvement), camera worse (even bad by PS2 standards), story absolutely nothing to write home about (imagine any generic Square-Exix plot but made even sillier by dint of having to drip feed a few characters and locations from Disney and Square titles).

Also the keyblade is a stupid idea.

"but but Disney and Square (Enix) in one game". Meh, don't care about Disney and not like Square have done anything for me lately. For the most part feels like a fan mashup game or silly ROM hack. Even the modern worn out family guy-simpsons-futurama parodies/jabs at each other get more of a smile.

"but this was a game of my childhood". I am sorry your childhood was filled with awful games for this to be a stand out one.

Anyway I have probably just uncorked a bottle of pure flamebait. Really don't go into this expecting some ageing masterpiece as much as post 16 bit Disney cash in game.
I probably ducked it simply because it looked too kiddy for me at the time... But still whenever it pops up on fatgirl repacks.. I will give it a try...

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The majority of the games were made around 15 years ago or even longer on the PS2. No one forced you to buy a PS4 and no one ever told you the games that are on it are guaranteed to be exclusive forever. In fact I'm pretty sure all these games were already on Xbox One.
Not forced. But you are were inclined to believe these "exclusives' remain exclusives. I mean why else intend to call them exclusive to begin with. I dont play games right away but eventually i pick them up and play them later. Only to see they are releasing it also on pc where I could have a better experience.
It's a BAD practice.
Give me a reason to own an xbox ps4 etc.

Edgarska

Conjurer of cheap tricks
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not forced. But you are were inclined to believe these "exclusives' remain exclusives. I mean why else intend to call them exclusive to begin with. I dont play games right away but eventually i pick them up and play them later. Only to see they are releasing it also on pc where I could have a better experience.
It's a BAD practice.
Give me a reason to own an xbox ps4 etc.

They never said they were exclusive forever, the only way to know for sure it's going to remain exclusive is if they're first party games, and even then it's up to the parent company.

As for "Give me a reason to own an xbox ps4 etc.", well, you're just now realizing there's no real reason to buy a console?

The main benefit you get is that the game is available to you earlier than it will be available to people who don't buy consoles, that is your incentive, and it's incredibly childish to get mad that now other people can play the same games you already had access to.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Damn! Epic really hit it homerun with this especially if they'll get it exclusive and not be offered in Steam and others.
With these prices they ensured people will be waiting on the Steam bundle. I don't think Epic has had any permanent exclusives yet, other than Fortnite.

Reactions: ov3rkill

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ffy0le7rkd431.png
Thanks Tim. Also, lol at that price. I wouldn't pay that shit even if it was on Steam.

Tatsuna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no way someone who is used to playing full rpgs could argue "Kingdom Hearts is great because of the combat" the story is good characters obviously, even some light puzzles are fine but gameplay is just very basic. I always thought it was more geared towards kids which makes sense since it's mostly Disney characters.

Played so many JRPGs I could never count them.
Claming that KH combat system is basic is objectively out of place, especially considering it was first released on PS2 and very few games were like that.
I understand that most JRPG fans are bound to the (actually-not-so-much) tactical turn-based system and see everything that is not turn-based as the "casual gamers stuff", but this is just asinine. KH's combat was built and enriched with several ispirations from various genres and includes lots and lots of options for the players to use (hack 'n' slash melee, magic, reaction command, evocations, drive gauge, party members aids and combo). What about is basic, for Heaven's sake? A "basic" action RPG is somewhat of a Tales Of, surely not a Kingdom Hearts game.

And by the by, I say this as a mudslinger of the series... It really has gone downhill with the III chapter and was already headed that way previously. Not exactly in the mood of defending it but sometimes I ask myself where the heaviness of such claims comes from.

SugoiEndeavor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully this doesn't mean epic is going to take away the inevitable PC release of FF7 remake. I've already held off from the PS4 version for a year, I really hope I don't have to wait another...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse