"The Hurt Locker" Torrenters: Prepared to get sued

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good thing I didn't use a torrent.

I tried watching this movie. About 23mins in it froze.
dry.gif

It seemed good from what I watched though. IDK if I would call it the Oscar sweeper it was from what I saw (although in all honesty I didn't see many "WOW" moves at the Oscars this year, outside of maybe District 9), but it was good.

shadowkillerdrag

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow now that i think about it i never torrent movies >< only anime and the like maybe some programs on torrents rofl

Most of the other things come for direct dl links ><
anyways i never even heard of this movie rofl

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Voltage Pictures and the US Copyright Group are teaming up to sue "tens of thousands" of P2P users who downloaded the film The Hurt Locker illegally.
They ALWAYS say this, and its ALWAYS actually people who UPLOAD to others through stuff like torrents/other P2P stuff. Why do the media always talk about 'downloaders' being sued/arrested/disconnected when I've never seen one person punished in any way for only downloading? Guess it's a deliberate ploy to scare people out of pirating stuff.

As for private torrents, they're not that private if you've managed to get on them, are they? Scene FTP sites, now they're private. And even they've been infiltrated in the past. So don't think just because you needed an invite from some guy you know from Xbox Live that sitting balls-out uploading chunks of films to anyone on the torrent that requests them is a good idea.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
PettingZoo said:
I was considering "obtaining" this, although now I don't know if I'll do it because of all this ruckus. Maybe another time.
There's always other ways to obtain it, like directly downloading it from a website
wink.gif
Or get a copy from a friend
tongue.gif

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Usenet is still pretty safe. If people are considering a paid for VPN, I would opt for a decent usenet subscription instead. No uploading, so the chances of you being prosecuted are reduced dramatically, also no need to maintain a ratio.

Rydian said:
Justin121994 said:
Would you get sued even if you used a private torrent site?..
A private torrent site is not secure from copyright companies. I have no clue why people think that, with how often "demon-zoid" has gotten threats and even been temporarily down.

I'd hardly call that torrent site private, more like semi-public. But yea, even proper private sites aren't safe. Still a damn lot more secure than say the likes of that place or that other place.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Haha torrents. I ditched torrents a while back and I only use DDL now.
Overlord Nadrian said:
NO MENTIONING OF REAL NAMES OF TORRENT SITES!
It's prohibited by the rules. So don't let me see you do it anymore.QUOTEUse the report function! If you see someone breaking a rule, report it. Don't reply to a post you've just reported and don't write an essay for the report reason but DO make it clear why it should be removed.
People seem to forget this rule a lot.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Prowler485 said:
Overlord Nadrian said:
NO MENTIONING OF REAL NAMES OF TORRENT SITES!
It's prohibited by the rules. So don't let me see you do it anymore.QUOTEUse the report function! If you see someone breaking a rule, report it. Don't reply to a post you've just reported and don't write an essay for the report reason but DO make it clear why it should be removed.
People seem to forget this rule a lot.
I almost always post an explanation saying why the user shouldn't do that, after I reported them. That way the mods don't need to do it anymore. I'm such a nice guy.

pitman

Addicted to Magical Girls
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Prowler485 said:
Haha torrents. I ditched torrents a while back and I only use DDL now.

Same here
laugh.gif

QUOTELast month, the group made headlines by helping German director Uwe Boll sue more than 2,000 P2P users for downloading his film Far Cry.

I feel sorry for those fellas, I don't want other people to know I watched or even downloaded a Uwe Boll movie
happy.gif

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
By their logic, all movies that win Oscars are good and they will sell well. I have never heard of this movie, nor do I care to torrent movies since it takes too fucking long. Unless you are a die hard movie addict, odds are you didn't see this movie. To me it seems like an attempt to sell a movie that was shit at the box office by attacking the people who pirated the film.

Potticus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Luckkill4u said:
Those stupid greedy ball of sweaty gooch, don't they have enough money? I wish I could go back in time and kill the person who invented suing cause it's just a way to get money out of the poor (or ignorant).

First off, your a dumb ass.
Secondly, suing is an important part of society. It prevents you from buying a product, it not working, and the companies saying fuck you.

In most cases the poor-er person is suing the rich-er person. But what can I expect from a ff fan*girl

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Potticus said:
Luckkill4u said:
Those stupid greedy ball of sweaty gooch, don't they have enough money? I wish I could go back in time and kill the person who invented suing cause it's just a way to get money out of the poor (or ignorant).

Secondly, suing is an important part of society. It prevents you from buying a product, it not working, and the companies saying fuck you.

In most cases the poor-er person is suing the rich-er person. But what can I expect from a ff fan*girl

Disagreement is one thing, but don't start personal attacks. Also, you should use proper spelling and grammar when questioning someone else's intelligence, if not most of the time.

Anyway, I usually stream videos of interest to me. If a movie is really something I want to see, I'll go pay for it, but if I'm just curious as to why a movie is getting acclaim (i.e. Hurt Locker) then I'll find another way to view it.

Potticus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
omatic said:
Potticus said:
Luckkill4u said:

Disagreement is one thing, but don't start personal attacks. Also, you should use proper spelling and grammar when questioning someone else's intelligence, if not most of the time.

Anyway, I usually stream videos of interest to me. If a movie is really something I want to see, I'll go pay for it, but if I'm just curious as to why a movie is getting acclaim (i.e. Hurt Locker) then I'll find another way to view it.

Not a personal attack, just a statement.

I don't see a misspelled word, and my grammar isn't too shabby.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
They ALWAYS say this, and its ALWAYS actually people who UPLOAD to others through stuff like torrents/other P2P stuff. Why do the media always talk about 'downloaders' being sued/arrested/disconnected when I've never seen one person punished in any way for only downloading? Guess it's a deliberate ploy to scare people out of pirating stuff.Guess what you're doing simultaneously while downloading a torrent, even if you don't let it seed afterwards?
And yes, there is limiting your upload rate to 0, but many trackers detect and don't let "leechers" download because it hurts the overall swarm, which has to sustain itself.

Edhel said:
Usenet is still pretty safe. If people are considering a paid for VPN, I would opt for a decent usenet subscription instead. No uploading, so the chances of you being prosecuted are reduced dramatically, also no need to maintain a ratio.Yeah, I'd say Gnutella < Torrents < FTP < DC < Usenet both in terms of quality, security, and difficulty to understand/setup/use (so less dumbasses as you go up the chain).

Though I've only personally gone as high as DC, and that was for dreamcast stuff before sites started offering it directly as bandwidth became more readily available.

o0ICE0o said:
QUOTE(Cermage @ May 15 2010, 07:48 AM)
you know, torrenting from big name torrent sites that all use the same trackers.
...Then where else would one get said torrent?
Not the big-name sites.
For example, while you can go to "the swashbuckler port" and find torrents of the new Full Metal Alchemist anime, you can ALSO go get it directly from the source, the group Eclipse that's translating it hosts their own tracker with the individual episodes. It's not a big-name site, it only hosts stuff they've personally released, and you'll have to google a few specific keywords to find the exact page. However, they have all the episodes released/translated, and on average each episode has 25-200 seeds (the latest having a little over a thousand), depending on the episode and quality level (they offer 2 per episode).

That's a place offering what somebody may want through a torrent that's not swarming with copyright companies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Better leave them alone i guess