"The Hurt Locker" Torrenters: Prepared to get sued

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's totally reckless to download movies with your ip hanging out there for everyone to see. You think people would have learned their lesson after all the Kazaa lawsuits. If you use torrents stick to movies like Santa Claus VS the Martians or wait six months. The lawsuits really fly if the studios haven't made their cut yet.

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
BlueStar said:
They ALWAYS say this, and its ALWAYS actually people who UPLOAD to others through stuff like torrents/other P2P stuff. Why do the media always talk about 'downloaders' being sued/arrested/disconnected when I've never seen one person punished in any way for only downloading? Guess it's a deliberate ploy to scare people out of pirating stuff.Guess what you're doing simultaneously while downloading a torrent, even if you don't let it seed afterwards?
And yes, there is limiting your upload rate to 0, but many trackers detect and don't let "leechers" download because it hurts the overall swarm, which has to sustain itself.

Edhel said:
Usenet is still pretty safe. If people are considering a paid for VPN, I would opt for a decent usenet subscription instead. No uploading, so the chances of you being prosecuted are reduced dramatically, also no need to maintain a ratio.Yeah, I'd say Gnutella < Torrents < FTP < DC < Usenet both in terms of quality, security, and difficulty to understand/setup/use (so less dumbasses as you go up the chain).

Though I've only personally gone as high as DC, and that was for dreamcast stuff before sites started offering it directly as bandwidth became more readily available.

o0ICE0o said:
QUOTE(Cermage @ May 15 2010, 07:48 AM)
you know, torrenting from big name torrent sites that all use the same trackers.
...Then where else would one get said torrent?
Not the big-name sites.
For example, while you can go to "the swashbuckler port" and find torrents of the new Full Metal Alchemist anime, you can ALSO go get it directly from the source, the group Eclipse that's translating it hosts their own tracker with the individual episodes. It's not a big-name site, it only hosts stuff they've personally released, and you'll have to google a few specific keywords to find the exact page. However, they have all the episodes released/translated, and on average each episode has 25-200 seeds (the latest having a little over a thousand), depending on the episode and quality level (they offer 2 per episode).

That's a place offering what somebody may want through a torrent that's not swarming with copyright companies.

Actually alot of fansubbers have been asked to take down anime after Viz or some other american company bought rights to air. Usually they take the anime down asap

The Japanese anime creators arent that fussed about it because they know that fansubbing is the only way most anime gets known outside of Japan
But the american rightowners (Viz is the one of the biggest I believe) hate it

Just a question: If you have digital TV with an HDD recorder in the digital receiver and I miss out on an episode of lets say NCIS. I technicly paid for it with the option of keeping it via cablefees. Can I download it without remorse? I think so

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Not legally, no.

You didn't pay for the episode, you paid for a limited right to view it rhough that specific medium as given by that specific company/source. Downloading it online is not part of what you paid for and is still considered illegal.

It's the same reason that downloading the ROM of a game you have isn't legal.

logical thinker

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
"Tens of thousands" is a very small number, isn't it? A LOST (TV series) torrent reaches that number after a couple of hours of being released.

Rydian said:
Yeah, I'd say Gnutella < Torrents < FTP < DC < Usenet both in terms of quality, security, and difficulty to understand/setup/use (so less dumbasses as you go up the chain).
How do you rate the edonkey and kad networks?
Thanks for all the interesting info you posted.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pliskron said:
It's totally reckless to download movies with your ip hanging out there for everyone to see. You think people would have learned their lesson after all the Kazaa lawsuits. If you use torrents stick to movies like Santa Claus VS the Martians or wait six months. The lawsuits really fly if the studios haven't made their cut yet.

If you're downloading Santa Claus VS. the Martians it doesn't matter, that movie is in the public domain. But yeah, I get what ya mean
wink.gif

The movie needs to sell well so obviously they'll crack down on piracy. If anything this is to just scare people into buying it instead of torrenting it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
logical thinker said:
Rydian said:
Yeah, I'd say Gnutella < Torrents < FTP < DC < Usenet both in terms of quality, security, and difficulty to understand/setup/use (so less dumbasses as you go up the chain).How do you rate the edonkey and kad networks?Same deal. I just mentioned Gnutella because it's a major one that most client (such as Limewire and Ares) connect to, many programs share networks between themselves so they're all about the same.

QUOTE(logical thinker @ May 15 2010, 09:51 PM)
Thanks for all the interesting info you posted.
You're welcome, and thank you. ^^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs