Hardware The hell happened to my Wii?

MrDowner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I decided to play with my Wii today when suddenly the main menu doesn't load and Homebrew doesn't read any apps.
Homebrew will not read anything on my SD cards nor USB stick anymore.

I did nothing to it, last I played it was 2 weeks ago on Brawl, I live alone so no one could do anything to it.

It can read Bootmii when the SD is in and I also restored my NAND but still nothing, Priiloader won't load either.

What happened to it?

MrDowner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried that, still no apps in Homebrew.

I'd like to also add my Wiimote won't connect to the Wii while in Homebrew.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
TBH, sounds like a hardware issue... either that or its an obvious mistake that's being overlooked (doubtful since it sounds like you're somewhat experienced in wii modding). You might try to get DeadlyFoez's opinion, if it is in fact a hardware issue, he's probably the most qualified person to fix it. And fortunately you both are in the US so it won't cost you too much to ship it to him.

Reactions: 2 people

MrDowner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, thanks you guys.
Is there anyway I can fix it myself? Seeing as how there's no way I could removes the traces of Homebrew in its current state.

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
you said u were able to restore a nand dump right? It's not without it's risks, but you could virginize your Wii using your existing nand dump as a donor to create a virgin nand.bin with giantpune's ohneswanzenegger app.

http://gbatemp.net/topic/279750-ohneswanzenegger-wii-entry-pc-software/

edit: hmmm, on second thought that would still leave bootmii installed to your boot2 (which might be overlooked by ninty anyways). But just to be safe, after restoring a virgin nand dump, you should try using bootmii's mini loader (button that looks like an SD card) to load bootmini.elf (included in the hackmii installer download via bootmii.org), then use it to uninstall bootmii as boot2 and as IOS. If you aren't able to uninstall bootmii, then there's a chance ninty will spot that the Wii's been softmodded even after restoring a ohneswanzenegger virgin nand.

Reactions: 1 person

XFlak

Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
quite possibly, but given that new info maybe DeadlyFoez or someone might be able to think of another cause\solution of your current hardware problem; i.e. maybe you caused it by improperly replacing the drive. I couldn't say for sure, I just know software

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It might be slightly related.

I once replaced the bluetooth module of one of my Wii's and as soon as I booted it the DVD drive didn't work anymore.
Not on my BootMii boot2 Wii and my BootMii IOS Wii.

I think I accidentally caused a short but the Wii still works fine.
Even with the "dead" DVD drive inserted.

MrDowner

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it was because I replaced my DVDdrive, seeing as how it worked with no problems waaay before this happened.
It's most likely the WC24 problem like DeadlyFoez said, I never once turned WC24 off in my whole 5-6 years of owning the Wii.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it was because I replaced my DVDdrive, seeing as how it worked with no problems waaay before this happened.
It's most likely the WC24 problem like DeadlyFoez said, I never once turned WC24 off in my whole 5-6 years of owning the Wii.
Is your Wii properly ventilated? If it's not in an enclosed space, then WC24 really shouldn't be a problem.

When you call Nintendo, I suggest you avoid giving them "an earful", since Customer Service is always more helpful if you are kind to them. They always like me (and I'm not just talking about Nintendo) because I'm polite and I don't get upset if I'm on hold. It's not their fault that they are too busy to speak to everyone right away.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0