The Fight Against Piracy

MadClaw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lowering prices is a good idea, I own a PSP, I did not mod it cause I can get legit psp games for about $9 bucks, so it's not worth pirating to me, anyways i don't have a need for homebrew, legit all the way! go Sony!!

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Advice Dog said:
True, but consider that there are benefits to piracy.

When you pirate something, you can do whatever you want with it. Send it here, use it there, put it on a USB drive, take it anywhere. Use it on your friends' computers, as many times as you want, whenever you want. It will always work as long as you need. It's a true example of what free trade SHOULD be: you pay to use something any way you want. It's yours, they have your money and you have their product. There is no logical or ethical reason a company should still take ownership of something you have purchased before.

Just look at Hackintosh ISO's. You can get them anywhere on the Internet and they will run on a lot of Intel-based computers. You are no longer locked to their arguably shitty hardware. It's yours to use how you see fit.

If Apple released Mac OS X for all Intel computers at Windows prices, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

EDIT: this was for Am0s

my thoughts on this is, dont you think companies like microshit and nintendo and a few others have profitted enough and they should give something back, look at the main reasons why people pirate windows, because they dont want to pay the steep price tag just to run their games or software, also every few years another OS comes out and bang another £70 down the tubes, also the arrogance of bill gates saying that his software is uncrackable was laughable, adobe are more culprits charging stupid amount of money for an appliaction a free one can do in linux and yet they keep brining out new versions shortly after the first one is released.

I agree with advice dog about if you buy software then its yours and your alone, I still think though to combat piracy to keep prcies low enough that it would be not worth doing, ASDA is a good example their DVD's are so cheap that its not worth spending the time and effort downloading extracting burning printing etc, a 5 min walk and bandg you got the real deal. These companies want to breathe down your neck watch your every move, and all they see from us are not people but pound signs

Danny Tanner

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WeaponXxX said:
Since piracy is soooo rampant I say screw it, get advertisers on board. EA already does it with NFS series, Super Monkey Ball did it, every game will should just jack up their sponsers, hell put commercials after each level. Imagine Dragon Age where you use "Uncle Ben Rice" to heal your life, or Johnson and Johnson band-aids to heal a fallen team mate? Change the name of Princess Peach's castle to the "Home Depot Castle", Oh wait Mario hit the question mark and gets... wait for it .... Nike shoes that increase his speed, next question mark and he lands a can of Green Giant green beans to make him grow! You get the point!

As funny as this seemed when I first read it, it's a really good idea. No one complains when people drink Mountain Dew in the movies, so why shouldn't ads also apply to games?

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
------- Many F words used below, kids, close your eyes and ask your parents to read them for you---

1. for me, it would be lower price, maybe a price according to length of the game, for example torchlight... there's no way i will spend 60 dollars on a game that has only 30 floors.

the meat of that game are in the mods, so ignoring the mods... let's see, in the simplest way, 1 floor = 2 dollar in money heaven, and that's just not worth it. I was expecting maybe 20 dollars for a game so small. sure... the maps are a little big, but so what? i gladly paid 60 dollars for a diablo 2, in the time it took me to finished torchlight, i probably will still be in the chapter 2 mid in diablo 2 by then.

2. Also, remove piracy measures in game, some of those DRM are annoying and pissed me off so much, that i just fk it and download a crack or i just uninstall them and torrent a cracked version instead

Probably a lot of guys will complain and argue about how "much" these AP has helped but to me, it is just an annoying measure.

This is just an example:

yes.. till now i am still annoyed at how MY legit copy of last remanent is linked to just ONE steam account, why the hell do i have to linked it to steam, what if i lost my password, sure... i could get my password but i have forgotten about my security questions, so what's next? Of cos, i would have just pirate last remanent instead when that happened.. Annoying measures are what makes me just pirate the game instead of wasting(not spending) money on them.

3. Next, advertise!! ADVERTISE YOUR FUCKING GAMES!!!! i lost count of how many times i wanted to buy this game only for the shop keeper to look at me funny and asked me what the fk am i talking about.. So, i did what anyone else would have done, since my country has no idea what the fk is that game... fine... fine... i just pirate it instead...

4. Gimme me some gimmick or freebie... just like atlus does, they bundled a soundtrack that isnt sold anywhere together with their games, it was one of the reasons why i had wanted to buy knight of the nightmare..

5. Also, just because it is bundled with it...IT DOES NOT GIVE U THE FUCKING GOD-DAMN RIGHTS TO INCLUDED THE PRICE OF THE ITEM IN TOTAL AND JACKED THAT TOTAL PRICE UP!!!! i know it will cost a little bit more, but more than double the price, fuck you shop vendors.. FUCK YOU nln

6. PUT SOME THOUGHT INTO THE BOXART, there are probably many games that i could have played and enjoyed if the boxart isnt that fugly and looks like a rush job... Just like The Bard's tale, back then when i saw it, i thought, meh, it looks generic and lame, so i just forgotten about the game till recently when i saw a gameplay video of it.

7. let me share the games with friends, i dont see why i cant share my disc with friends instead of having those stupid limit.

well, that's all that i can think of, for now... anyway.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fight against piracy is a lost battle, and irrelevent. Pirates have existed forever, in one way, shape, or form. It's like fighting against prostitution. It just isn't going to work. Instead of trying to fight it and waste money and resources(and user contentment. I'm looking at you, Ubisoft. -_-), put that money and resources to making a game better. Ignore the pirates, or at least pay less attention to them, and instead work on giving them REASONS to actually buy the games. Artbooks, LE figurines, discounts, all that crap.

Oh yeah, and stop playing shit up to be like you lost bajillions of $$$ when you know you haven't. It's stupid, lying, and really, really, really fucking annoying.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DRM always fails. It punishes only the people that actually bought it and pisses them off. Likely just inspires more piracy.

Make it so that games only play while online. Hey it's the 21st fucking century, if you can't get online I feel sad for you, but too fucking bad too. I don't have a problem with this idea.

No drm, just make it so the game is pointless offline. Make the program free and make it that the sales are in the online accounts. Hey my son is happy to pay 15 bucks a month playing WoW. And yes HE pays for it. I'm sure the people that sell WoW time are having a good laugh at dolts getting their games pirated even with the DRM.

All of my recent games bought only require a serial. Hey I COULD pirate them, but I like the company enough for using NO DRM, that I support them in response. Matrix Games is likely the most powerful wargames publisher on the market today thanks to their choices. Meanwhile, Battlefront.com just released Strategic Command Global and it uses eLicense. Sorry shove that eLisence crap out your outport Martin Moon.

Price is not the problem. There will ALWAYS be cheap cunts that just won't pay. But how many people simply won't pay because the DRM pisses them off eh?

And game quality, fuck I won't pay Nintendo a red cent for any of their games for the most part. Maybe a very VERY select few. But shit, have they no pride in the name? They let AAAAAAnyone make crap and put the Nintendo name on it. Damn right I will download their titles first. Zero guilt here. They will need to stick to making money off me buying the hardware. I like their hardware just fine. Software, that's a different story.

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
I pirated Sins of a Solar Empire a while ago. I liked it so much however, guess what I did?

24604_1289377367974_1636435905_696502_5415620_n.jpg

TAKE THAT!

I was just wandering best buy and saw it on sale. I also had a gift card, so... SCORE!
yay.gif

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Panzer Tacticer said:
DRM always fails. It punishes only the people that actually bought it and pisses them off. Likely just inspires more piracy.

Make it so that games only play while online. Hey it's the 21st fucking century, if you can't get online I feel sad for you, but too fucking bad too. I don't have a problem with this idea.

No drm, just make it so the game is pointless offline. Make the program free and make it that the sales are in the online accounts. Hey my son is happy to pay 15 bucks a month playing WoW. And yes HE pays for it. I'm sure the people that sell WoW time are having a good laugh at dolts getting their games pirated even with the DRM.

All of my recent games bought only require a serial. Hey I COULD pirate them, but I like the company enough for using NO DRM, that I support them in response. Matrix Games is likely the most powerful wargames publisher on the market today thanks to their choices. Meanwhile, Battlefront.com just released Strategic Command Global and it uses eLicense. Sorry shove that eLisence crap out your outport Martin Moon.

Price is not the problem. There will ALWAYS be cheap cunts that just won't pay. But how many people simply won't pay because the DRM pisses them off eh?

And game quality, fuck I won't pay Nintendo a red cent for any of their games for the most part. Maybe a very VERY select few. But shit, have they no pride in the name? They let AAAAAAnyone make crap and put the Nintendo name on it. Damn right I will download their titles first. Zero guilt here. They will need to stick to making money off me buying the hardware. I like their hardware just fine. Software, that's a different story.

Well ok sorta right but allways online is not that good as well.
I ordered the Settlers 7 some time ago and after that i read in their forum that there are several protections and one of them beeing online the whole time, not only for starting but the whole time while playing a single player game.
Many ppl are worried about their privacy, who knows what they can see when you are connected to the game server the whole time ? You would think nothing but who knows ...

I think as long as the games are worth it they allways sell good enough so piracy is only a problem for those developers that either have bad luck or just very bad games.
I only started pirating games because the latest games i bought were all shit! normaly you say when you pay for a game you want even more to complete the game but the latest i bought were deleted after some hours -.-V so it was completely waste of time and money.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The trick is they need to make the games NEED other humans to interact with.

There have been no shortage of games that just should have never been made.

The ideal game is one that brings people together to play them. Games that just place you in front of a machine solo do nothing for anyone.

Take for example all of the rpg designs. How much more fun would they be if they needed four players rather than what they are just 4 characters you alone control.

If they created an online location where you could team up to play the game with 3 other players that would be much better.

My wargame hobby needs to master this better too. They only require two players most of the time. How hard could it be to provide a common meeting place to play them against other humans live not by email passing turns back and forth. Computer AIs are the greatest crock of shit in all of gaming.

Magoo222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As I started this, I feel I should at least throw some of my thoughts into the ring. I'm not too sure about this latest Ubisoft issue, it sounds like the servers were DDoS attacked rather than it being a failure on their part. You can argue that that is an issue with the type of DRM, but it's not really a long term problem that will continue to affect people's gaming (Hopefully). There seems to be a big split on these forums, between people who accept that DRM is necessary as piracy isn't really a sustainable business model, and those people who have now gone past the point of no return and will continue to pirate regardless. If you're one of the latter, you can probably stop reading this post here...

Still reading? Good. Personally, I don't really play multiplayer games that much. I don't like playing the online component of a game until I'm done with single player, and I'm that slow to complete single player that everyone is so far ahead of me it's embarrassing to even sign online. This means that having a crappy single player experience and amazing multiplayer won't tempt me to get a game. If it's a series I used to really enjoy that's going in that direction *cough*CoD*cough* then it's even worse.

One idea I did have was a sort of microtransaction based game. You pay an initial low fee to get the first levels, then as you complete them you pay a small fee for the next level and so on. The total price of the game, assuming you complete it, would be the same as a game costs now, but you spread the cost. It's a sort of interest free financing option. Obviously there are still gaping holes in the theory, you'd have to download the levels as you play which would interrupt the flow (maybe background downloading whilst you're playing the current level) and it would require your credit card details on file in order to proceed (maybe an online wallet that you top up, rather than just CC details). And the elephant in the console, you still need internet at all times, as you wouldn't know when you'll finish a level.

Side note: Ubisofts always-on DRM, surely people with poor internet connections are the ones least likely to pirate the game as they can't download it? Another flaw...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sorry I sat on them when they were open
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: So that version is semi rare