The Fight Against Piracy

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Magoo222, Mar 6, 2010.

Mar 6, 2010

The Fight Against Piracy by Magoo222 at 9:41 PM (3,875 Views / 0 Likes) 51 replies

1. Magoo222
    OP

Member Magoo222 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I've read a lot about videogame piracy recently, especially since Ubisoft began implementing their incredibly draconian "online or bust" DRM on their newer PC games. Obviously a lot of gamers are complaining about it, and I started thinking about if there were better ways. Rather than being selfish and doing all the thinking myself, I thought I'd also ask the question to fellow Tempers...

How would you combat piracy?

Would you remove all DRM, lower prices, increase availability and rely on the goodness of mankind to prevail?

Would you identify offenders and then connect genitals across 10,000V to prove a point? And if so, how would you identify them? (The offenders, not the genitals)

Or do you have a better solution that sits somewhere in the middle?

2. MuppetInvasion

Banned MuppetInvasion Banned

Australia
    HAHAHAAHAHHAAHA

Lower prices?

Lets have a look at it, with reduced prices.
    New copy of modern warfare 2: $40
    New copy of modern warfare 2 obtained by piracy: $0

It doesnt matter how low the prices go, free is free. (Until you get to a point where you can pick up some random old game for like $10 AUS.

3. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    simple force anyone that buys the game to register their copy or the game wont play eg. you put game into whatever handheld/console and the game will be like please enter the 10 digit code found in the box...

4. Leo Cantus

Member Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

United Kingdom
    Would put something like a special code that comes with the retail game that you have to register to play it online

5. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Online-play only with CD-key. That's all you really need. Of course, this only works for PC games.

6. Leo Cantus

Member Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

United Kingdom
    There's an issue with mine and your idea, which is the same btw. What happens if that person loses their 10 digit code or they buy the game pre - owned?

7. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Eliminate the need for money.

8. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Nintendo is watching us! I won't post my good ideas here.
    Just keep it as it is, it's hard enough already! [​IMG]

9. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Do away with Anti Piracy Laws and devices. It would take away the thrill and people would pirate less.

>.>

10. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Do what they done with batman in 1 part of the game you need to use your boomerang to hit something with a retail copy its fine with a burnt copy you cant throw it so you cant continue unless someone hacked it allready i dont know.
    One guy even rang up and complained to the company saying his game wasnt working past this point the guy on the line simple said then buy the game

11. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    That was done with Spirit Tracks.
    Didn't work.

12. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    You do know Nintendo is watching us. This will give the some idea on how to pt even more AP into their games

13. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    You can't stop piracy. I do understand what they are tying to do. They want to get through the first few weeks when most of the sales happen without haveing the game all over the place. The second thing is they want to make it too difficult to the average user. Like in the GBA days with you have to buy a $250 EZ-Flash III. They'll always be piracy and tey'll always try to stop it. One thing I don't understand is if I go to the maket and get caught stealing a game I get let off the hook with a slap on the wrist but if I get caught downloading a game I'll get fined out the ass. I think the penalty should fit the crime, for example you have to pay for the game you download. It's the attitude of these companies that makes me never ever buy a new game. Only used for me.

14. ` regret .

Member ` regret . GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Its impossible, we will always find a way.

15. Danny Tanner

Member Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Remember that Hentai bricker for the DS? Include that, but it only plays if it detects a flashcart. Sure, it's not foolproof, but it would detract people, I'm sure.

16. Bumpman

Member Bumpman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That still gives a M rating.

17. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    no point in reducing prices. i've said it before and will say it again. there are people who are just using "but games are too expensive" as an excuse. there will always be the pirates regardless of how cheap games are.

also reducing prices makes no sense to publishers. games retail at what? 50-60us? if they halve the price to 25-30, it would mean they'd need double the amount of sales just to make what they would at current prices. and i highly doubt there are enough people out there still willing to fill that gap.

18. Dr.Killa

Banned Dr.Killa Banned

United States
    I KNOW HOW TO STOP NDS PIRACY

1. you must be a nintendo worker
    2. make a random account on this website (or hack Toni Plutonij or some one)
    3. claim you ported starfox 64 or something to the DS, with "proof videos"
    4. include a link to the download file (make it be like 32 mb large with a .nds extension)
    5. when everyone downloads and runs it, it turns out to be a NDS bricker.

19. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    NES games were anywhere from 40$-60$(50$ was average) in the 80's and if a game like The Legend of Zelda had really high demand then a lot of stores would raise the price to 70$ to as much as 100$ per game and people would pay that much for the games...

20. Danny Tanner

Member Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

United States
    But syko, not only was that a different time period, that analogy doesn't really make sense. 'X' number of gamers can only change so much. There aren't enough Non-gamer, non-pirates, that aren't buying because of price to fill the gap. Most people think that lowering the price of something still nets the same profit, but you have to sell A LOT more for that to be so.