Hacking The DS-Xtreme - Misinformation

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yup.. Don't give into hype or you'll just get burned..

Sorta like those launch XBox360 with the overheating power supply
tongue.gif

DS-X Guru

Part of the DS-X Team
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This isn't a language barrier, as you keep putting it. DS-X-Guru has no problem communicating. His posts read like a dodgy political campaign, and he gets away with this, why? Because "I only know the talented DS-X team," and "I do this in my spare time, thank you very much... honest!"

Actually, English is my 4th language. Indeed i try to sound a bit more professional when writing "STICKY" information - Indeed i do promote the product, but not with false or missleading information.
Calling me a Liar sure shows how quick you do jump to conclusions without knowing anything. If you don't believe it, its your choice, but insulting someone as liar without any hard proof is just low and rather childish - and seriously dissapointing.

And i actually hope, all those who are right now, bashing the Product here without knowing 100% what it is (since it hasn't been completely unveiled) will show as much Activity and good posts about the DS-Xtreme then they currently post running their mouth off in banter on how much it's "not good", etc.

I am a normal person, i came to give you guys more information then DS-X offered; I think most of you should be able to understand that i couldn't answer all Questions. They have a PR department for such things - I Personally found the information "too slim" of the announcement so i tried to get a few more things unveiled for those that were intressted in the product. I am sorry if it looked to any of you like something else; It simply isn't.

I always thought people would appreciate it if they get information of a product they are intressted in before the Press of a said company does it - Seems i was quite mistaken, and i apologize for that.

Regards, DS-X Guru

jigaboo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DS-X Guru - just a note. Unfortunately, enthusiasm and scepticism sometimes mix in ways that, at the best of times, cause people to act emotionally.

1) I'm sure most of us appreciate your efforts at enlightening us as to the product at hand. As I can only speak for myself, I thank you for your efforts.
2) A small portion of us, sceptical as we are, have doubts to the veracity of the claims (as is common in all groups, here at gbatemp, or anywhere else) for whatever reason.
3) As the self-appointed spokesperson of a desireable product, you are, unfortunately, the focal point of hopes, wishes, scepticism, doubt, and various other emotions (sometimes extreme - pun not intended.)

Unfortunately, without further information, there are only two avenues for most to take:
A. Be patient and await more info, or
B. Jump to conclusions.

Given the desireability of the product, one can hardly be surprised that some, regrettable though it may be, choose the latter. My advice to you (as there is no way to ever stop this trend): Cultivate a "thicker skin" - remember that one cannot please everyone all of the time. If you wish to continue your service to the community, I'm sure many would be receptive.

J

odyssy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DS-X Guru, first off, thanks for taking the time to give us some information on this that we wouldn't otherwise have at this time.

I've got to say that this looks like a promising product. Only two things concern me, one being a real dealbreaker, IMO, that maybe you could convey on to the people developing this product. First is the price - it's quite a bit more expensive than anything else out there - so long as it does the job better than anything else, though, I don't see this as too much of an issue, but if the price were lower, it would be a no-brainer definate purchase. Secondly, and here's the dealbreaker for me, at least, is GBA support. Without GBA support, I definately won't be purchasing this product, end of story.

I look forward to seeing a review of this sometime soon (hopefully)!

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
I have been a little critical of the DS-Xtreme myself, mainly because of the cost.

However, I feel that DS-X Guru has really handled this situation quite nicely.

Leave him alone and quit bickering until the product is actually *RELEASED*. Then the whining can continue.
smile.gif

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This product sounds interesting although I'm using flashme so I'm more interested in the dslink. But damn people, please lay off on the pricing of the product. It is a good value considering the majority of this community isn't as well versed on getting homebrew + roms to run and if this is a plug and play solution, then the price is more than justified because it saves people time....and that time is usually of higher value than a couple bucks that people are whining about. And another thing, I purchased a g6 3rd gen for $180 and been using it ever since along with other products, I still do not regret this cart with the release of the lite etc because you know what? The capabilities on the cart is well worth the $180 when you look in the scheme of things. The saying goes, you get what you paid for....so it shouldn't be a surprise that a quality product will retail for a higher price. My 2 cents.

emuponderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so what does the 4gb stand for on the front of the cart?

i would think that its obvious but then i hear people complaining that its only gonna be 512mb

so which is it?

also , is there any estimates as to when its gonna be released?
gbasp.gif

ssj4android

Trophies
XP
Country
You're complaining about updating firmware? I know with the Supercard, if there's a game that doesn't work, often a software and firmware upgrade are required to fix it. Only requiring a firmware upgrade is better, I'm still skeptical about the DS-Xtreme, though. I'd want to know compatibility before I bought it, if I ever do.

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If I can jump on both sides here I do understand what doodad is saying. Basically why would anyone want a Slot1 flash cart over a Slot2 flash cart especially when Slot2 offers GBA and DS? Well lets see the bigget factor is not waiting for patches to play games like G6 users went through with Mario Basketball and SC users did with Starfox....so Slot1 means no patching so to the naked eye we read that as "No more waiting around.....Xtreme gamers play on dump day" however its not true...well may not be true....what doodad is trying to say is that if Xtreme gamers have to wait for a firmware update to play FF3, FFCC, Mario Hoops USA release, ect....then there goes the main selling point. In all honestly "patching" a rom so it plays off the slot2 is not hard, takes seconds so patching isnt a bad selling point but rather waiting for the update from the company. Thats all the dood was trying to say I believe and he has an excellent point. The price is high and you get no GBA support but when you see 100% no patching it can be misleading when the gamer still needs to wait around. The other selling points like the possiblity of download play on unflashed DSes, use the GBA slot for rumble pack, rumoured gyro pack, ram expansion, ect. Of course then we have the gamer like me who has a crap load of current gen flash carts but would like to optimize his gaming by having a SClite or G6lite in the GBA slot to play DS games and a kit in the slot1 for even more ds roms....anyway I had to depart from writting this for a while and I'd have to reread this whole thread to get to the point I originally wanted....personally I can't say shit till I see the product or someone test it. Right now I think its ugly, I think its overpriced, but it could have some nice features....sadly just like the EFA, being to actually back up your roms is not gonna be one of em. It is nice to see a member of ths staff over here actually informing us of the product though. phones ringing gotta go...

beedog19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally believe that the heart is in the right place but it's slightly overpriced. I think that they are heading in the right direction with this product and it has tons of potential but I don't think that it has so much that I'll need to rush out and replace my g6. That being said I hope to one day be able to buy a slot 1 card for ds and its homebrew and use my g6 in slot 2 solely for gba/gbc/gb games and gba homebrew. That would be perfect.

Operator

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ok. im new here. i just have a simple quick little question (which is probably obvious to most people but not to me).

with this ds-x thing, can one play backups (roms) without anything else? you just copy the rom to the ds-x, boot up the ds-x, and it has a loader already on it?

Patvs

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The DS-Xtreme sounds fantastic.

The G6, SuperCard, etc. and DS-Xtreme all have their advantages and disadvantages.
One of the GREAT advantages of the DS-Xtreme is the fact it frees up the GBA slot.

So my question is: will the rumble pack work if I put a game on the DS-Xtreme that supports the rumble pack?
And what is the DS-Xtreme team doing for compatibility with the Opera DS Browser? With a free GBA slot there is room for the "Memory Expansion Pack". Will that be required for it to work?

Fazered

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My god, why do people moan and bitch so much? Forums seem to breed people that get such inflated expectations of service and product and then condemn suppliers who don't reach them. In this case they do it and supplier has even let them down! Let them get the product out the door and then you can make your views known if you are not happy with the product. Here are a few simple rules you might consider following:

If you think the product is too expensive, don't buy it. Just because you think it is too expensive doesn't mean it is. Others may see the value so let them buy it.

If the product doesn't have the features you desire, don't buy it. You want GBA support? Go somewhere else, this isn't the product for you yet. Don't want to have to update firmware? Buy the originals.

Now if a company promises you something and doesn't delivers then go ahead and moan. Don't ruin your life because of it but moan if you need to. However wait until they do let you down before you do it.

Be thankful you are getting all this info and access to the company.

hausome

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I really appreciate the attempt that Guru made to enlighten us. That's all I have to say; just wanted to let him know that.

DS-X Guru

Part of the DS-X Team
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,

First off, a big Thank you to the Guys that understand in what kind of a Position i am, its appreciated
gba.gif

So now lets get a few things cleared up again
smile.gif

- Yes it is actually 512MegaByte (4 Gigabit)

- And as for Rom Support.... DS-X does not Control which ".nds" you put on the DS-Xtreme... So wheter that is Homebrew or not is irrelevant in this Scenario. However, i can confirm that you will plug the DS-Xtreme into your USB Outlet on your PC (With a cable we supply
tongue.gif
) and transfer your ".NDS" via drag'n'drop and then; Yes it does have a Loader for that, it's our own Operating System
wink.gif

- Rumble Pack Support: I have not tested it, or been able to.... I don't see why it should NOT work, but that is only an assumption - If i can get a confirmation wheter it works or not, its not been tested, thats all i can say right now.

- Opera: No Idea at the moment - i believe if Opera required that Ram Pack, you would still require it, but it should work then. Again, only an assumption, once these things have been tested, i will be able to let you know more.

I sadly can not answer more at the current time, and actually could only really answer 2 out of 4 from those
frown.gif
Give me some time, and i should be able to give better Answers... Again thanks go out to various people who understand that i can't say everything at the current moment. And don't worry, you will know almost EVERYTHING about the DS-Xtreme before it hits shelves, we do plan to give GBATemp and various other Sites Samples for Review in the following weeks - and then you can read it from an independant source - I think thats worth more then me saying "It's Great" anyhow
wink.gif

Regards, DS-X Guru

emuponderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So lets just assume everything we hear about the dsx is true, does anyone have any ultimate future emulation scenarios? mine would be playing the same one player game, of any existing game, on one screen. While having a friend playing the same game, in a race, on the second screen. Is there something like that out there yet? ive played emulators on the psp but think the clever hackers and programers of our time will begin to get deep into the ds and create some retro emulation support for certain retro games to put to work the two screens and touch features, if the ds-x delivers, i think a new movement will come about.

its time

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Skelletonike first time I hear of stellar blade