The difficulties of legal game preservation and backups showcased in latest Completionist video

The Nintendo Wii U and 3DS eShops are closing next week, which means hundreds upon thousands of games will imminently be forever lost to the shutdown of the respective console's storefronts. Many here are aware of how important game preservation is, and with both the Wii U and 3DS being easy to put CFW and load backups on, it's a fairly simple task to obtain near-complete libraries of either. Of course, while backing up those games may be a legal grey area, playing them without owning them is unlawful, and audiences not tuned into the world of homebrew may not even know about such things to begin with.

Which is why YouTube personality The Completionist has decided to purchase every single available game on both the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U eShops. This endeavor consisted of purchasing 866 Wii U digital titles, and 1,547 3DS games, including all DLC and Virtual Console releases, totaling at over $22,000. The video showcases the difficulties in legally compiling a complete backup of both the Wii U and 3DS, ranging from the problems arising from trying to obtain $18,000 worth of eShop cards, to trying to actually make purchases since you can only load $250 worth of eShop credit at a time, being locked out by Nintendo from making so many transactions at a time, slow downloads from Nintendo's servers, the limitations of the 3DS, and other obstacles.

The video is an important display of why video game preservation is so important, and the arduous process of backing up media so that it does not become lost forever.

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For a YouTuber with a million subscribers, he only gets about 100k to 200k views, and a few 40k vids, and so on.

This specific video has 700k views so it looks like it is for the views as he was having a hard time gaining it.

ddZBr0A.jpg

A business decision he made.
Wait did he really say RTDD 100% made his thumbs bleed? Da **** 100%ing RTDD for me was two weekends of fun.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I meant the part about "I can't find the latest stock rom update for my old semi-bricked XDA Exec." I guess I wasn't specific as to what I was asking,

Oh sorry.

Basically I'm after update v1.30.162 for the O2 XDA exec.

I've search high and low for it via search engines and the wayback machine but it seems to be lost media at this point.

I tried contacting O2 support but couldn't get through, the only thing I haven't tried is going into physical shops (both official and third party) to see if they have access to the update.

I can get alternative ROMs but I like the idea of having the stock rom in case something happens as I've seen others have issues.

JakobAir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh sorry.

I've search high and low for it via search engines and the wayback machine but it seems to be lost media at this point.

I tried contacting O2 support but couldn't get through, the only thing I haven't tried is going into physical shops (both official and third party) to see if they have access to the update.

I can get alternative ROMs but I like the idea of having the stock rom in case something happens as I've seen others have issues.
Is this any help? https://web.archive.org/web/2007102...NI_TMO_TMO_HR_20041_200147_11700_WWE_Ship.exe
Post automatically merged:

Oh sorry.

Not sure if this'll work but it's worth a shot: https://web.archive.org/web/20070202010841/http://www.my-xda.com/xdaexec_soft2.html

Last edited by JakobAir,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country

Sorry for the late response.

Ideally I'm after the official O2 update and unfortunately I've been unable to acquire it via the wayback machine with O2/my-XDA.

From what I understand, although the hardware may be the same (HTC Universal rebrands), the actual software may be different i.e. different Windows CE base.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw