Hacking The Cons of using SX OS!

What would you rather do?

• Get backup loading now even if Atmosphere wont be supported earlier on Higher firmware.

• I'll stay on lower firmware and wait for Atmosphere.

• I'll stay on lower firmware and wait for Atmosphere, but still use TX dongle for convenience

• I'll only play small games on my fat32 sd card and not update.

Results are only viewable after voting.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
kinda makes you wonder if Nintendo is behind all of this :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

well you kinda missed the point of my post. Until we get an XCI splitter (not trimmer) and SX OS supports split XCI files you won't be playing any of the larger games on it unless you update to current firmware.

I have no intention with staying on 3.02 and will update to the latest for use with the TX solution until after it's released. It was originally going to used for legit purchases.

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I have no intention with staying on 3.02 and will update to the latest for use with the TX solution until after it's released. It was originally going to used for legit purchases.
You will burn in hell for your choices , I wil skip along beside you tho and high five all the way . Chances of baby jesus crying also. you have no soul , but im good with that.

tomhanks69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how does it feel having to buy the same game 3 times? ;)
Which game are we speaking of? Do you mean console? Bought my grey one, day one. Red and blue one, my son won at school for academic achievement. Mario Odyssey edition switch I had traded my old gaming laptop for, since i purchased a predator Helios 300. Pretty sweet deal

Attainable

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
will it run backups???????? if not, atmosphere is no good for me atm

No - the devs aren't interested in Piracy, but I'm guessing someone will eventually add a backup loader down the line to it, as it's open source. If you want to load backups in the near future, get the SX OS/Pro

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's be honest, early adopters of SX products is because they want access to backup loading ASAP. But there's a caveat. You will have to update your switch to the latest firware version and thus cutting yourself off from the earlier versions of Atmosphere.
Here's why:
SX OS backup loader uses game dumps in the XCI format which is a 1:1 copy of the game cartridge. Small games won't be a problem but let's say you have a switch on fw 4.1.0 and you want to load a backup of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which has an XCI file of almost 8GB. You will need an SDXC card formatted to exFAT since you can't copy a file over 4GB to a FAT32 formatted sd card. The moment you put that 64GB sd card on your switch it will prompt you to update. So even though you get backup loading sooner with SX OS, you will have to wait longer to get more support from Atmosphere once it comes out since you will be on the latest firmware.

UPDATE: This release might be a workaround if it does indeed work.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/xci-cutter-tool-windows.504818/

UPDATE 2 Actually this tool won't cut it. No pun intended. A trimmed rom won't be enough to bring an 8GB file to less than 4GB.
Unless SX OS includes exFAT support...

comput3rus3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which game are we speaking of? Do you mean console? Bought my grey one, day one. Red and blue one, my son won at school for academic achievement. Mario Odyssey edition switch I had traded my old gaming laptop for, since i purchased a predator Helios 300. Pretty sweet deal
I just meant like if everybody wanted to play mk8d on their own tv for example.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Well my, my. Guess it's a good thing I have 2x 256gb SanDisk Ultra micro sd cards
what's more important is that you have exFAT support already installed. Also, everyone remember that this is only an issue if you're trying to stay on the lowest firmware possible in order to install Atmosphere the easy way. Otherwise just update.

Reactions: tomhanks69

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it includes exfat support, I saw the question in another thread, it supports exfat but you need to update to get the patch if you didnt in 4.1
No, that is not at all what I meant. Supporting something the Switch already supports is not what I meant. I meant what if they added exfat support in their payload, not needing you to update to 4.1? Maybe they were able to isolate the patch and apply it themselves via CFW??

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
No, that is not at all what I meant. Supporting something the Switch already supports is not what I meant. I meant what if they added exfat support in their payload, not needing you to update to 4.1? Maybe they were able to isolate the patch and apply it themselves via CFW??
that was answered by them in email in another thread, atm there is no way of playing the games because they do not support split files is they do exist, they could be working on that but who knows because the tx sx works in the latest firmware, so I guess only the atmosphere people are affected by that limitation

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
A bit of a OT and a foolish question maybe..BUT, do all 4.1 firmwares include the exfat update or does the microsd card have to be inserted for the update to trigger?

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
A bit of a OT and a foolish question maybe..BUT, do all 4.1 firmwares include the exfat update or does the microsd card have to be inserted for the update to trigger?
no man, mine was at 4.1 I updated to get the exfat support, when it was released if I knew about it, well I would be still in 4.1 but no biggie, everything is good :P

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
I dont quite get what you mean mate :)
So you had to update seperately from the 4.1 system update for exfat?
when 4.1 was the latest firmware, if you put a exfat card it would ask you to update, that will get the patch for the exfat to work, now we are at 5.02 as latest so to get that patch for exfat you must update to 5.02 to get it, I already did, not sad in reality because everything as of now should work in 5.02, tx and homebrew(with some exceptions) but tx backup loading is the cherry on top if you ask me

Reactions: fatsquirrel

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Member berries tingling. I member having to do extra update while on 4.1.0 after inserting a Chewbacca , I mean 64gb card . Now my card is so exfat.........

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Ok, let me get this straight, the problem here is that windows cannot manage transfer files larger than 4gb to an sd card in fat32? This is the big problem in this thread? Cause if it is this, literally ANYONE and i mean anyone could get a linux distro and use it without installing to move the files to the sd....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    D @ dadadad: блядь