Emu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So where to start.

The discs/burning:
This is my first stab at soft modding my Wii and I am decently tech savy. I have a modded DS and come from the days of supercard 1 gba slot solution. Basicly I have 2 games i'm attempting to run from dvd backups. The first title is No More Heroes 2 and it's the NTSC/U version. The other title is Monster Hunter Tri, also NTSC/U. I have extracted the rars and burnt the isos at 2x or 4x with alcohol 120% with basic image disc burn options. Just to add to that note I've also used the following media for Monster Hunter Tri: Verbatim dual layer dvd+r, maxell 4.7 gb. Now I come from the days of PS2 modding and backups so I know maxell is probably 3rd best brand, followed by Verbatim in 2nd and Taiyo Yuden in 1st. So I assume Maxell is a high enough quality dvd but I used verbatim as a 2nd guess/attempt.

The Wii:
I installed homebrew channell, installed dark corp, installed Dop Mii and CIOS 38 Rev 17. I followed a GBATemp guide that had me install some select cios' and then attempted to load my backup via the disc channell and only got let down so then resorted to NeoGamma R8 IOS 249 Rev 17. Using NeoGamma I found disc read error 1167 for the 2 titles put on maxell discs and the same result for the 2x burn on the verbatim for monster hunter tri.

Mind you all my knowledge i've accumulated has been via the ever so useful forums over the past 2 days and ALSO! I bought and used the a wii lens cleaner as suggested in other areas. I wouldn't post this without some vast research but I feel the forums or internet is too broad to refine to just MY solution.

Thanks for the help and i'll check back frequently!

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You should be using dvd-r media not dvd+r
Also if you must use dvd+r make sure the booktype is set to dvd-rom when burning the iso.

Another thing how old is your wii? New wiis have new dvd drives that will not read backups from disc.

Emu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also I don't see an option in Alcohol to change the booktype to dvd-rom. Went ahead and got IMGBurn and applied DVD-Rom as the setting.

Emu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah sir the setting booktype to dvd-rom got it to boot in NeoGamma with a few script errors then booted fine. Debate is with the disc channel it wants an update to launch and on NeoGamma it doesn't. I have Priiloader on there installed so am I better off running NeoGamma to launch or should I install another app for Disc Channel not asking for the update? Any diff in how smooth it will run?

Thank Again btw.

Though through NeoGamma after hitting a on the start screen I come to a screeching beep and halt...

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Use priiloader and enable the hack to block online and disc updates and then try running it with the disc channel again.

Also retry it with neogamma and it might work after a few more tries or try a different version of neogamma like an official release and not a beta

Emu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Learned about loading hacks just now and got the ini downloaded and worked off disc channel. I guess i'll report back about NMH2 if there's any probs but crossing my fingers it's solid from here.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Could you please please do me a favor? Could you test one of your DVD+Rs without bitsetting in the latest NeoGamma:
http://gbatemp.net/t219243-neogamma-r9-beta-test

And see if it says "read error xxxx, inquiry"? If yes, i think i can put a "correct" error message into NeoGamma.

To play Monster Hunter Tri from NeoGamma, you need to install cIOS rev19, and select IOS37 as base IOS("cIOS37rev19"). Just in case.

Emu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually had read that fix the other day and that is what got the long beep to go away upon game file creation, however did not improve my support for +r media. So far the only fix was that dvd-rom booktype.

Though that's with R8, just re-read your post i'll go ahead and apply NeoGamma R9 and test then follow it up with reapplying IOS37 as the base with cIOS rev19.

Emu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always notice NeoGamma comes as a rar with a root NeoGamma folder and a app folder containing another NeoGamma. I generally merge the 2 in my app folder but am I supposed to put the root folder in my root of my SD card?

Emu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DVD Err 1178 DISC ID

There's my error for verbatim MH2, Maxell MH2, and Maxell No More Heroes. The verbatim was dual layer as well so hopefully that was a large enough spectrum to supply some good troubleshooting. =)

Parablank

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Emu said:
I always notice NeoGamma comes as a rar with a root NeoGamma folder and a app folder containing another NeoGamma. I generally merge the 2 in my app folder but am I supposed to put the root folder in my root of my SD card?
You put the NeoGamma folder in the root, and the NeoGamma in the apps, in apps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, there was a power outage while you were sleeping?