The BIG Skyrim Thread

Which platform will you get this game for?

• PC

Votes: 94 57.3%

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • PS3

Votes: 31 18.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I hope the thieves guild will be as interesting as the one in Oblivion.
It was by far my favorite part of the game :D
cant wait!!
I've just joined them, have received quite a lot of quests already, looking forward to it. I'll probably do some quests of them soon, but first I'm off to find a house!

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Been playing all morning.

FUCK. DRAGONS. I've seen three already. I was in the middle of nowhere and one of them appeared, couldn't fast travel or anything so I died ):

Anyway, just joined The Dark Brotherhood. I thought it was going to be the same like Oblivion where you had to randomly kill someone so I went on a killing spree outside cities because guards know you've killed someone even though nobody is there to see it.

Edit: What about a name change for the title? It's not really a hype thread anymore...

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Been playing all morning.

FUCK. DRAGONS. I've seen three already. I was in the middle of nowhere and one of them appeared, couldn't fast travel or anything so I died ):

Anyway, just joined The Dark Brotherhood. I thought it was going to be the same like Oblivion where you had to randomly kill someone so I went on a killing spree outside cities because guards know you've killed someone even though nobody is there to see it.

Edit: What about a name change for the title? It's not really a hype thread anymore...
I haven't seen any yet :( Haven't really wandered too though. But can they appear whenever, wherever in the game? Don't I have to 'unlock' them with some kind of quest first?
I'm doing the first big mission of the main quest now, and it has something to do with the dragon language, so I'm pretty sure after this I'll encounter a few.

I'll ask a mod to change the title to 'Skyrim discussion + info thread' or something along those lines. Or Costello ftw? I see you're browsing this topic atm :ninja:

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice, thanks Costello!
By the way, if you encounter some weird looking water on a floor somewhere, with some sort of ball with a flame in it above it, be wary of it! It's actually Oil with a flame above it, waiting to be triggered! You can light it all with your flame spell, and watch the show. It's pretty neat, and super effective against monsters of course. You can even shoot the thin rope holding the ball-with-flame! How cool is that?!

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I haven't seen any yet :( Haven't really wandered too though. But can they appear whenever, wherever in the game? Don't I have to 'unlock' them with some kind of quest first?
I'm doing the first big mission of the main quest now, and it has something to do with the dragon language, so I'm pretty sure after this I'll encounter a few.
Unsure if they just appear anywhere but it seems to be.
My first encounter was just randomly walking around and finding a place where you're supposed to fight a dragon, the other two was just random.

Also I wish I didn't put points onto Heavy Armour, I got the Dark Brotherhood Armour and obviously it's light ): I'm only level 8 so I guess I haven't fucked up too bad.

EDIT: God dammit, another Dragon. I'M NOT READY!
It seems high cliffs are a good way to encounter Dragons, lol.

dudereno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Put 8hrs into the PS3 version. Very impressed. At first I was underwhelmed by the game engine which looks like an incremental upgrade of gamebryo( inhouse engine..hmmm). LOD issues ( prob down to the PS3 hardware) don't do big vistas any favours. But once in the "hand crafted" dungeon it really shines with great particle fx, subtle fogging and water fx.

Rather than wandering around the world leveling up like I did in Oblivion, I made a conscious effort to stick to the main story arc. This has pulled me into the world much quicker due to the fantastic writing and voice work. I now have a side kick/loot mule and host of interesting spells.

I put 200+ hrs into Morrowind/Oblivion. It's good to see Bethesda honing their craft for deep rpgs. This might be their best work to date.

This could be a GOTY contender..

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Unsure if they just appear anywhere but it seems to be.
My first encounter was just randomly walking around and finding a place where you're supposed to fight a dragon, the other two was just random.

Also I wish I didn't put points onto Heavy Armour, I got the Dark Brotherhood Armour and obviously it's light ): I'm only level 8 so I guess I haven't fucked up too bad.

EDIT: God dammit, another Dragon. I'M NOT READY!
It seems high cliffs are a good way to encounter Dragons, lol.
I've just battled my first one for the main quest, pretty damn fun and impressive! The music playing in the background is sooooooooooo cool, love it. I'm an Orc so investing a lot in Heavy Armor at the moment, maybe not the best choice but I'm liking it so far (and Daedric Armour looks so cool!). When I play this game again in a few months/years I'll be sure to pick a complete other character and take other choices (Stormcloak/Imperial for example)

Put 8hrs into the PS3 version. Very impressed. At first I was underwhelmed by the game engine which looks like an incremental upgrade of gamebryo( inhouse engine..hmmm). LOD issues ( prob down to the PS3 hardware) don't do big vistas any favours. But once in the "hand crafted" dungeon it really shines with great particle fx, subtle fogging and water fx.

Rather than wandering around the world leveling up like I did in Oblivion, I made a conscious effort to stick to the main story arc. This has pulled me into the world much quicker due to the fantastic writing and voice work. I now have a side kick/loot mule and host of interesting spells.

I put 200+ hrs into Morrowind/Oblivion. It's good to see Bethesda honing their craft for deep rpgs. This might be their best work to date.

This could be a GOTY contender..
It's a GOTY for sure, I love these games. There are a few small gripes at the moment but the great thing is that I'm sure the modders will fix them very soon.
I've encountered quite a few of bugs at the moment, but none of them were really annoying, just funny. Don't mind at all.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
...I just finished my PC download (torrents *cough*). I'm actually really glad I bought it for 360, as there are so many problems I've encountered on the PC version.
1. CTDs galore.
2. My framerate seems entirely dependent on the resolution. When changing the settings, none of them makes the game any smoother. In fact, lowering my resolution to 800x600 while keeping the rest of the settings at max will keep a reasonable framerate while having the game run at my monitor's native resolution while even keeping the rest of the settings at their lowest will make the game run at 15FPS, the only exception to this rule is shadows. It's obvious that this isn't supposed to be a gaming computer, but this is kinda silly.
3. Really annoying buggy shadows. The only way I managed to fix that is setting the shadows to Ultra with a few INI tweaks, but that murders the framerate even further than it is right now.
4. WTF is with the menus? Most of them don't work with the mouse, the items in the inventory aren't rotatable, and I can't seem to equip anything to my right hand from the favorites menu without a 360 controller.

Anyways, I've started playing on my 360, and it's really great. I'm excited about going through this game, I really like how the perks work. The 3rd person camera is amazing compared to previous games, except for the dialog (because talking in third person view is kinda weird).

Gvaz

Trophies
Website
gvaz.notsleepytime.org
XP
Country
United States
I haven't had that many CTDs

Also the reason it's dependent on resolution is because the game is highly CPU restricted. You have an 1.8ghz processor on a mobile platform. If you can, overclock that shit though IDK if you can because of heat issues or the mac itself.

also make sure to get the 1.1 patch, it fixes mice in the menu but it doesn't fix the shitty design of the UI though.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Playing it on Ultra High. Really nice graphics.

I'm loving it. I wasn't a big fan of Fallout 3, but Skyrim kinda hooked me.

BTW, to the old players of the series: is there a karma system or something? I'm not stealing much because of that, but if there's no malus, then I'll start stealing like there's no tomorrow :rofl:

I'm almost 15 hours in, and I still have to see a dragon :(

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, to the old players of the series: is there a karma system or something? I'm not stealing much because of that, but if there's no malus, then I'll start stealing like there's no tomorrow :rofl:
I think only if you get caught
otherwise steal away

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't had that many CTDs

Also the reason it's dependent on resolution is because the game is highly CPU restricted. You have an 1.8ghz processor on a mobile platform. If you can, overclock that shit though IDK if you can because of heat issues or the mac itself.

also make sure to get the 1.1 patch, it fixes mice in the menu but it doesn't fix the shitty design of the UI though.
Yeah, I think I'm only getting CTDs because I got an incomplete version of the 1.1 patch. Saw a repack on *insert most popular torrent site here*, so I went ahead and downloaded it.
Also, the i7 2677M is technically 2.9GHz (because of Turbo Boost), it's just that it runs at 1.8 when not utilizing the extra power.

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Then you should start the main story. You encounter a dragon early and get shouts. They may not show up until after the first encounter in the story.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay. I updated my Skyrim to 1.1 using the actual update (the repack on *torrent site*), and it fixed 3 out of 4 of my problems. It's no longer resolution dependent, it works with the mouse, and it no longer CTDs.
The buggy shadows are also in the 360 version, but Bethesda made it somewhat harder to notice (just stare at the edge of a shadow for a while, and you'll notice it flicker as it updates).

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Then you should start the main story. You encounter a dragon early and get shouts. They may not show up until after the first encounter in the story.

Pretty sure that might be right. I did the main quest right up to the part where I was going to go slay the dragon (though I can't skipped text and didn't know that...or i'd have gone and done it) and I started wandering to various other places. No dragons at all.
Did the main quest dragon killing, and now i've killed a ton of dragons.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay. I updated my Skyrim to 1.1 using the actual update (the repack on *torrent site*), and it fixed 3 out of 4 of my problems. It's no longer resolution dependent, it works with the mouse, and it no longer CTDs.
The buggy shadows are also in the 360 version, but Bethesda made it somewhat harder to notice (just stare at the edge of a shadow for a while, and you'll notice it flicker as it updates).
Nice, I'll update today too then. The menu's are indeed quite badly configured, but that's an easy fix and especially something the modders can fix too! On the PC you can assign a weapon to your right hand (via the favourites menu) by pressing E (in my case) when on it. You see , or . Or in the real inventory I think you can also do it by just rightclicking on the desired item/spell.

No karma system.
I was in the same situation yesterday! You really have to start the main story to see your first dragon. You see one at Whiterun then, and then you'll be able to spot them in the wild. I encountered one yesterday, my heart literally skipped a beat. I was just looting a bandit camp and suddenly I heard that instinctive cry. I turned around, both frightened (because they are quite tough) and anxious to see the dragon. It was circling there, so beautiful and powerful, amazing. I don't know if it really saw me, I was just circling there like the king of the world, and then it went on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: