Gaming The best bit about the DS is the GBA support.

blizeH

OP
Trophies
Website
www.zestdesign.net
XP
Country
I've had a DS for just over a year now, both an original, and a DS Lite, but I've hardly scratched the surface of DS games yet despite having loads of them.

Why's that? Well, because I'm catching up on the countless fantastic GBA games of course! There are just so many incredible GBA titles available that just seem better suited to hand-held gaming.

I'm not sure what it is, but I'm actually really not looking forward to the transition from GBA to DS. I absolutely love my DS to bits, it's one of my favourite ever gaming platforms I've owned, which is odd considering I've only ever completed one DS game.

A lot of the games just feel right to be played on a hand-held. I'm not completely certain, but I'd say the most common times or places to play on a hand-held console would be on public transport, playing whilst in bed, playing whilst watching a TV show that won't quite hold your attention, or any other kind of situation where you don't have complete concentration or have to play with the sound turned off. For me, DS games just feel a bit too 'full' for that. Like I'd be missing out if I played without sound, or without giving it my full attention.

And then there's the games, oh man, the games! Not only does it have some fantastic ports that'd even put the port-heaven PSP to shame (Mario 3, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Zelda etc) it also has some incredible exclusive titles such as Final Fantasy Tactics, The Minish Cap, the Fire Emblem series and countless others.

If you've got a DS and missed out on the GBA-era, do yourself a favour and check out what you missed out on; you won't be disappointed!

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
yeah the GBA support is definatly a BIG +. I too play GBA games on it
wink.gif

However I like the DS games too
wink.gif

I'll be playing FF5 and 6 on my ds lite too once they are released here in eu.

one thing which is kinda bad is the fact the DS can't play GB/GBC... I just bought Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons on EBAY. It's kinda bad I have to play them on my GBA SP.
frown.gif

I traded in my old DS with my SP recharger to get a PHAT discount on a DS Lite... So I can't recharge my SP which kinda sucks
wink.gif
Need to buy a new recharger.

jono_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GBA is prolly the best thing on a DS lol.

sept for maybe SNES.
thats why id justify a slot 1, most GBA games i play are ports from SNES.

jono_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
at the moment i use Snezziboy, seeing how it keeps being updated and plays a few of the cool games.

Hopefully by the time its good it will work on the slot1 i buy, thus eliminating the need for GBA function. (i play mostly mario, etc.)

I guess the only thing that would replace GBA on a slot1 would be ScummVM.

bionicspider

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I too have to admit that I've been playing more GBA games on my DS than actual DS games. The reason? The paltry selection of RPG titles for the DS. Magical Starsign was a good first attempt at a decent DS RPG, but it's not challenging enough, and M&L Partners in Time is a nice game, but I like my RPGs more adult oriented and less cute; I hope FF III for the DS changes all of this.

I love the GBA's great RPG selection: Golden Sun I & II, Breath of Fire, FF Dawn of Souls, FF V, FF IV, and I can't wait for FF VI--released in the US as Final Fantasy III on the SNES--to debut on the GBA come this January!

And, while not technically an RPG in the traditional sense, I forgot how awesome the GBA version of "Zelda - A Link to the Past" is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Was a dark time