4. Too Human, $60+ million
too_human_ranged.jpg

3. Shenmue, $70 million
shenmue_a.jpg

2. Gran Turismo 5: $80 million
gt5p_dlc_damage.jpg

1. Grand Theft Auto 4: $100 million
gta4.jpg

Way too many shooters in the list, I bet a big slice of the budgets for those games went straight to mass marketing.
Any thoughts?

asdf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lagman said:
Way too many shooters in the list, I bet a big slice of the budgets for those games went straight to mass marketing.
Any thoughts?
They either did that or they blew it all on crack.

Also, GTAIV cost $100 million holy shit

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shenmue despite being good is way too expensive than it is worth. Also the Saturn version didn't sell well, the Dreamcast version did and got very favorable reviews.

lagman

I wish I was green.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Hop2089 said:
Shenmue despite being good is way too expensive than it is worth. Also the Saturn version didn't sell well, the Dreamcast version did and got very favorable reviews.

Wait, what? Saturn version?

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Can't believe they spent that much on FFXII and they still couldn't get the summons to be something other than total pussies that get killed by bats. God damn it that game sucked. The only Final Fantasy game I have ever returned to the store. Even Revenant Wings has stayed in my collection.

But thanks for this. This sort of stuff is actually pretty good info for my Games Design course. Cheers. Saves me doing any research in the morning
smile.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
lagman said:
Hop2089 said:

Wait, what? Saturn version?

Yes, but only in Japan.
It was never released there, it didn't even reach half way finished and it wasn't even called Shenmue until it was shifted to the Dreamcast. Back then it was intended to be Virtua Fighter RPG where you played Akira.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do these take inflation into account? There's also other factors that should be considered. Hardware and games in today's world require a lot more than they did in the 8-bit generations. Most games have fully produced cutscenes and the like. Back in the day they didn't and if they did, they weren't basically movies like they are today.

I'm surprised MGS4 only cost that much. The game practically fills a dual layered Bluray disc (or so I thought) and has been hugely popular.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
zuron7 said:
What a waste of cash on dirty stuff.
NSMB all the way.

More than half these games are better than that. NSMB Wii was pretty much lots of laziness. Cheap production costs to make a rocketing profit.

There was a lot of care in NSMB Wii, the levels clearly have had a lot of work put into them.

The only reasons these others cost more than others is because games for high tech consoles (at the time) cost more to develop for plus you got voice acting to take into consideration which can cover lots of languages. That and the marketing they need.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm shocked Shenmue cost this much O_O
That was a big revolution to play a real time game, but never thought i would become the 3rd most expansive.
(they might have lost more money than profit, sequels didn't sell well enough)

I thought MGS3 would be in the 3 firsts.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Hop2089 said:

it was never released, it was just a tech demo, in europe there was a bonus disc included with shenmue 2 that showed a trailer of the saturn version, but it was just never released.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @K3Nv2 I'm still not really convinced that sylverrez is a girl lol