Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
tetrislogo.jpg

Official GBAtemp Tetris DS Tournament

After long debates and discussions in our internal staff forum, we have eventually found a nice solution, that will guarantee both security (a good way to know the result of a match) and speed (this tournament should be much shorter than the MKDS tourney). This solution also respects your choice to play 2-players matches.

So, here is how it's going to work. Please read *VERY* carefully
smile.gif
  • Each match will consist in a struggle between 2 players. The first to 2 wins, wins the match.
  • However, this struggle will be played in 4-players mode.
  • The 4-players mode requires 4 players. This is why we will group the matches 2 by 2.
  • The players of the 2 matches will join the same game. But the 2 matches will be played one after another. It's quite simple: the 2 players of the first match will play together, while the 2 players of the second match will forfeit immediatly. This way, the 2 players that are not playing will be able to validate the result of the match, and to post the results in their match topic.
  • Once the first 2 players are done with their match, they will swap position with the players of the other match. (By this, we mean: the players that have just finished their match will still be in the game, but will have to forfeit immediatly, while the other 2 players will play).
OK, have a deeeeep breath, and read further!
  • Once the two matches have been played, the winners of each game should play together while the losers will watch them play (by forfeiting immediatly) and then post the results.
    Here is a little example of how it's going to work:
  • Players A, B, C, D will be assigned to a topic (in the tetris tournament forum).
  • 1st match: players A vs B, while C & D act as referees. Let's say player A wins.
  • 2nd match: players C vs D, while A & B act as referees. Player C wins.
  • Final match: players A vs C, while B & D act as referees.
Hold on tight! We're back to the rules.
  • We will create your match topics soon, probably this week end. Once they are created, you will have two weeks to find a time and play your match.
  • If one of the players doesn't show up at the match time, he is eliminated. But since the 4-players mode requires 4 players, there will be a special topic for you to call for staff members. The staff member will replace the missing player in the game.
  • The use of items is allowed! So it's a sort of "2 players mode with items".
All right, if you have any question, or if you need more explanation on how it works, feel free to post comments.
We know that this solution seems a bit complicated, but once again, it's the best way to control the results of the matches and to progress quickly
smile.gif

I'd like to thank Tembargo, from PlayerAdvance.org for the long discussions we've had, and for helping us find out this complicated but wonderful solution! Beware, my friends. Tembargo has already won the first PlayerAdvance Tetris Tournament, beating Hitto in the final game! He's definitely the man you don't want to play with!

Stay tuned, we'll post a new portal topic as soon as the match topics are created and the tourney officially opens (probably at the end of the week).
yaynds.gif

alexp2_ad

Certified Smart Ass
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, I'm very anti-items here, that's the reason I wanted two player matches, not because it makes it two players, but to avoid items!

Seems like a pretty good system for the matches though.
yaynds.gif

Online, a 4 players games is only with items.. so no choice..
But you can just make it a rule not to use items... like the snaking rule in the MK tournament.

Vater Unser

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
why 2 player matches, when items are allowed anyway?
the reason why 200 people voted for "2 players without items" was because there would be no items, and not because they don't want to play against 3 opponents

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Complex, but I get it. It's an interesting way of doing things and rather than just skill, luck also comes into play (just like Mario Kart). I say go for it.
But you can just make it a rule not to use items... like the snaking rule in the MK tournament.
There's going to be alot of disqualified people I think if you tried that.

alexp2_ad

Certified Smart Ass
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Complex, but I get it. It's an interesting way of doing things and rather than just skill, luck also comes into play (just like Mario Kart). I say go for it.

There's going to be alot of disqualified people I think if you tried that.
Hm, that is true... one accidental button push and your out the tournament... but I might prefer that to someone getting a lucky item and beating me... afterall, it's not a "best of", so one lucky person gets a better item than you and bang, your out...
unsure.gif

kalibar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I've got to echo the sentiment here that most people voted for 2-player without items simply because items kinda screw with a Tetris match and they seem really out-of-place in a competitive tournament. I suppose the real question here is are we that concerned that people are going to try to lie about match results in 1v1 games? It really doesn't seem like it will be that major of an issue.

As always, you guys know best -- just thought I'd mention my opinion. This whole thing is going to be really cool either way.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hm, that is true... one accidental button push and your out the tournament... but I might prefer that to someone getting a lucky item and beating me... afterall, it's not a "best of", so one lucky person gets a better item than you and bang, your out...Â
unsure.gif
Learn how to defend yourself from items. I really don't see this much different from Mario Kart. In Mario Kart, an item could turn the tide of a race could it not? Why should this any different? Keep in mind, this tournament is for fun and you can win a great prize by playing a VIDEO GAME.

I don't mind any of the items except for one. That fucking banana. I always get hit by one exactly when I'm making a critical move.

As long as it's two players, items really shouldn't overly affect the gameplay. Biggest fear I had is one person getting a mushroom and another getting lighting. Absolutely hectic if you get hit by that combo and you might as well kiss your ass goodbye at that point.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
why 2 player matches, when items are allowed anyway?
the reason why 200 people voted for "2 players without items" was because there would be no items, and not because they don't want to play against 3 opponents

It's about having referees/witnesses, and the ability to get through matches quicker. This system will cut the time it takes to get a match going in half. And this way we'll always know the winner, no foolishness of any kind will be tolerated.

Except this kind! BOOOGIDY BUMPER WAMA LAMA STOMP BOMP BOO!
wacko.gif
ph34r.gif
rofl2.gif

Tembargo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
* The price are great so some people could lie to win. So no choice => The only solution is these 4 players games.
* Online, we can't play whitout items in 4 players games. So no choice => items will be present.
* Ok with items the factor "luck" is bigger, so i think we can reduce it by increase the number of wins for a dual, maybe 3 or 4 wins minimum. What do you think about it ?

(sorry for my french english
tongue.gif
)

Jul13oSSx

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
In my opinion, Items don't make the result of the match in a 2 two players game.
But items can allow a player to win a game.
So, if we must play with items, 2 games are not enough, we can't judge skill only with so few games..

We need to play with more games for this Tournament.

EDIT : +1 Tembargo
biggrin.gif

alexp2_ad

Certified Smart Ass
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Learn how to defend yourself from items. I really don't see this much different from Mario Kart. In Mario Kart, an item could turn the tide of a race could it not? Why should this any different? Keep in mind, this tournament is for fun and you can win a great prize by playing a VIDEO GAME.

I don't mind any of the items except for one. That fucking banana. I always get hit by one exactly when I'm making a critical move.

As long as it's two players, items really shouldn't overly affect the gameplay. Biggest fear I had is one person getting a mushroom and another getting lighting. Absolutely hectic if you get hit by that combo and you might as well kiss your ass goodbye at that point.
I know it's for fun, I'll play items or not, I'm just saying which I prefer.
smile.gif

And for me, Mario Kart is about the items and the random-ness, not to mention that was a "best of" setup, so it didn't make such a win or lose difference. Whereas tetris to me is about the skill and the precision involved in building up for a great tetris, not about the luck of the draw.

SDodnetnin

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's about having referees/witnesses, and the ability to get through matches quicker. This system will cut the time it takes to get a match going in half. And this way we'll always know the winner, no foolishness of any kind will be tolerated.

Hate to break it to you but this "system" doesn't fix the problem with liars. In the end, it is still 1 winner and 3 losers and while the refs may be fair for the first match, they could decide that they didn't like the player who won the whole thing and the 3 could agree to lie. If you really wanted to be safe, you keep the 1 vs 1 matches in the 4-person layout, but take up the other two places with staff members, or 1 staff member and 1 filler. That is the only guaranteed way to get the truthful results posted, unless the staff member takes bribes (please say you do
biggrin.gif
).

As for items, I could care less since luck is involved whether there are items or not. I've played a lot of WLAN games with my friends and we always seem to have more fun with items. Like others have said, items can be used for offense as well as defense should you know what you are doing.

As for the the 2 wins, I really think it should be 3 wins. It's not like the extra win is going to make the match take a lot longer.

Zaraf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, even though I still don't think this solution is the best, I find it somewhat acceptable. However, like a few guys have mentioned, 2 wins is not nearly enough. It's MUCH too easy to get 2 wins through sheer luck of awesome items in an item match. Tetris matches generally don't last much more than 1 or 2 mins, or I would recommend something like first person to 5 wins. When I play online, I normally play until one of us reaches 10 wins, and that rarely takes longer than 20 or 30 min.

As for just disallowing items to be used...I'm fine with that. You use the X button to use items, and the X button isn't exactly located so that it is easy to press it accidentally. You have to purposely shift your fingers/thumb to use the items. At least in my opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Manual charging