Tesla - The Nintendo Switch Overlay Menu

fhwyjbd.png

Hey all.
I'd like to introduce to you, Tesla: My answer to the growing need for proper ingame front ends for sysmodules.

What is this?

• Tesla consists of three individual parts. nx-ovlloader, the Tesla menu and libtesla.
    • nx-ovlloader is basically nx-hbloader ported to run as a sysmodule. It runs in the background and loads overlay NROs (.ovl files) given to it.
    • Tesla Menu is the equivalent to the hbmenu. It's the initial thing loaded by nx-ovlloader and acts as a hub for you to select all other overlays.
    • libtesla is where it becomes interesting for developers. It's an easy to use library that handles layer creation, UI drawing and all the overlay UX. It makes it very easy to create a new overlay for anything
  • A frontend for sysmodules that before required either a homebrew or a config file to change settings or used sounds or the LED to give the user feedback.

What is this not?

• A tool that lets you create overlays that are always visible. Overlays can get unloaded way to easily for this.
  • An excuse to port absolutely everything to a overlay. Nobody's going to need a title manager overlay. If you consider making a overlay, keep it simple. You don't have a whole lot of memory to work with.

How do I use this?

First of all, download the latest release of nx-ovlloader and the Tesla Menu from the GitHub Release page and extract it onto your SD card.
After a reboot, hold down L and DPad Down and push on the right joy stick to bring up Tesla at any time. Navigation works as you imagine it.
Similar to normal homebrews, you place your .ovl files in the /switch/.overlays folder on your SD card.

Screenshots

W8yN2M6.jpg

fdfWAXw.jpg

Notice

Make sure to use the latest Atmosphere release when trying this as older versions ( as the one SX OS uses too ) probably won't have enough memory available for this to run. Overlays do take a lot of space so nx-ovlloader reserves 6MB. 2MB for framebuffers and around 4MB for overlay developers to use in their overlays.

GitHub

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader
Tesla Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu

For Developers

libtesla: https://github.com/WerWolv/libtesla
Tesla build template: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Template

Download

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader/releases/latest
Tesla-Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu/releases/latest
EdiZon Overlay: http://werwolv.net/downloads/EdiZonOverlay.zip ( As a little preview for what this is capable of and what EdiZon 4.0.0 will have even more of soon :) )

Special thank especially to averne without him, this would not have been possible!

Obligatory Donation links

GitHub Sponsors https://github.com/sponsors/WerWolv
PayPal https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KP7XRJAND9KWU&source=url
Patreon https://www.patreon.com/werwolv

Thanks a lot and have fun using and extending it :)

Last edited by WerWolv,

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, then this is not Tesla issue...
For some reason there is "SaltyNX is not working"
Game i was testing with was DB xenoverse 2.
I tried Sword art hollow realisation and there ReverseNX does show like normal, it says it is in handheld profile which sounds right.
Then I try to change it, i press A on change mode, but nothing changes... Any idea why it won't change, and why it saltynx sometimes, but not other times?

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Game i was testing with was DB xenoverse 2.
I tried Sword art hollow realisation and there ReverseNX does show like normal, it says it is in handheld profile which sounds right.
Then I try to change it, i press A on change mode, but nothing changes... Any idea why it won't change, and why it saltynx sometimes, but not other times?
You are trying to change settings while in gameplay or main menu? It may be just that game doesn't check for changed mode when in main menu or just there is no difference in handheld and docked mode (f.e. they are using one profile that scales with GPU)
And I don't understand last question.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You are trying to change settings while in gameplay or main menu? It may be just that game doesn't check for changed mode when in main menu or just there is no difference in handheld and docked mode (f.e. they are using one profile that scales with GPU)
And I don't understand last question.

While in gameplay. No difference in handheld and docked mode.. hmmm.. so you are saying some games have no 2 modes? and thus won't allow to be switched?

For my last question, as to my earlier post saying how I get the message: reverse NX-RT. says SaltyNX is not working sometimes, while other times it is working. And I did not change any files on the sd or mess with any configs.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
While in gameplay. No difference in handheld and docked mode.. hmmm.. so you are saying some games have no 2 modes? and thus won't allow to be switched?

For my last question, as to my earlier post saying how I get the message: reverse NX-RT. says SaltyNX is not working sometimes, while other times it is working. And I did not change any files on the sd or mess with any configs.
Some games yes - I know for sure Goat Simulator doesn't have get functions to check for modes.

Something makes SaltyNX crash and rebooting fixes that.
For example by opening ReverseNX-RT, Edizon overlay or Status monitor while game didn't finish booting you can crash SaltyNX.
I'm still trying to figure out how to get info if game finished booting to prevent this issue in ReverseNX-RT and Status Monitor. For now I'm using svcSleepThread.

Last edited by masagrator,
Reactions: Chrisssj2

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Some games yes - I know for sure Goat Simulator doesn't have get functions to check for modes.

Something makes SaltyNX crash and rebooting fixes that.
For example by opening ReverseNX-RT, Edizon overlay or Status monitor while game didn't finish booting you can crash SaltyNX.
I'm still trying to figure out how to get info if game finished booting to prevent this issue in ReverseNX-RT and Status Monitor. For now I'm using svcSleepThread.

That must be it probably I think yes. I'll test with more games and see how it goes.

Ryft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to open Tesla in Pokemon Shield, it acts like it's open because the controller doesn't respond but I can't actually see the Tesla menu. It works fine on the home screen though.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
When I try to open Tesla in Pokemon Shield, it acts like it's open because the controller doesn't respond but I can't actually see the Tesla menu. It works fine on the home screen though.
My guess is that you're playing on TV (which you should inform from the beginning). So you have solution for your issue in this topic.

Queen of SoS

Story of Seasons Queen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Ik this has probably been ask several times but can someone explain to me why some cheat files crashes Tesla and others don’t? I have a lot of cheats for fire emblem and it doesn’t crash but for the 10 cheats I have in nexomon it crashes the game. Same thing happens with Story of Seasons Fomt as well.

Goginha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why can't I open tesla menu in game while on dock? It seems like I need to adjust screen size to 100%, but then i can't see the things in the corner of my screen, does someone knows how to fix it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"