Tesla - The Nintendo Switch Overlay Menu

fhwyjbd.png

Hey all.
I'd like to introduce to you, Tesla: My answer to the growing need for proper ingame front ends for sysmodules.

What is this?

• Tesla consists of three individual parts. nx-ovlloader, the Tesla menu and libtesla.
    • nx-ovlloader is basically nx-hbloader ported to run as a sysmodule. It runs in the background and loads overlay NROs (.ovl files) given to it.
    • Tesla Menu is the equivalent to the hbmenu. It's the initial thing loaded by nx-ovlloader and acts as a hub for you to select all other overlays.
    • libtesla is where it becomes interesting for developers. It's an easy to use library that handles layer creation, UI drawing and all the overlay UX. It makes it very easy to create a new overlay for anything
  • A frontend for sysmodules that before required either a homebrew or a config file to change settings or used sounds or the LED to give the user feedback.

What is this not?

• A tool that lets you create overlays that are always visible. Overlays can get unloaded way to easily for this.
  • An excuse to port absolutely everything to a overlay. Nobody's going to need a title manager overlay. If you consider making a overlay, keep it simple. You don't have a whole lot of memory to work with.

How do I use this?

First of all, download the latest release of nx-ovlloader and the Tesla Menu from the GitHub Release page and extract it onto your SD card.
After a reboot, hold down L and DPad Down and push on the right joy stick to bring up Tesla at any time. Navigation works as you imagine it.
Similar to normal homebrews, you place your .ovl files in the /switch/.overlays folder on your SD card.

Screenshots

W8yN2M6.jpg

fdfWAXw.jpg

Notice

Make sure to use the latest Atmosphere release when trying this as older versions ( as the one SX OS uses too ) probably won't have enough memory available for this to run. Overlays do take a lot of space so nx-ovlloader reserves 6MB. 2MB for framebuffers and around 4MB for overlay developers to use in their overlays.

GitHub

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader
Tesla Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu

For Developers

libtesla: https://github.com/WerWolv/libtesla
Tesla build template: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Template

Download

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader/releases/latest
Tesla-Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu/releases/latest
EdiZon Overlay: http://werwolv.net/downloads/EdiZonOverlay.zip ( As a little preview for what this is capable of and what EdiZon 4.0.0 will have even more of soon :) )

Special thank especially to averne without him, this would not have been possible!

Obligatory Donation links

GitHub Sponsors https://github.com/sponsors/WerWolv
PayPal https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KP7XRJAND9KWU&source=url
Patreon https://www.patreon.com/werwolv

Thanks a lot and have fun using and extending it :)

Last edited by WerWolv,

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, I stripped out anything not needed for cheats. I will apply a code fix to my fork so it will work on both pre-16.0.0 FW and 16.0.0 FW.
to be honest, I was in hurry when I was fixing the libtesla and tesla overlay.
I will credit to both @masagrator and @SciresM

I agree about malicious code thing.
Did you push your fix?

The description still says HOS 16 only.

Off topic - can you please push an interim release of your sys-botbase fix while we wait for the official one to be updated?

silien3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
crashes in docked or tablet mode?
all tesla menu versions always has a random chance of crashing in docked mode when using cheasts
both

Error Message
ERROR CODE:2168-0002 (0X4A8)
PROGRAM:420000000007E51

I have already reset everything all redone in clean ect so its d office a bug link either to atmo or to ovl or to the folder 420000000007E51 which has not been officially updated since a very long time

and since the folder stopped at update 9.0.0 I think he is the culprit

Last edited by silien3,

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country
both

Error Message

I have already reset everything all redone in clean ect so its d office a bug link either to atmo or to ovl or to the folder 420000000007E51 which has not been officially updated since a very long time

I also had crashes in tablet mode many times when first upgraded to 16.0, either on the 1st or 2nd time when opening the cheats menu
after deleted the atmosphere folder and extract the files to mircosd again
so far, haven't had a crash out of 10+ tries , not sure of being lucky or what

proferabg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
both

Error Message

Have you updated Tesla Menu (ovlmenu.ovl) and all other overlays for 16.0.0? You do not need to delete the folder '420000000007E51A' as nx-ovlloader still works and does not need updated. It sounds like you have updated those and you are crashing while using EdiZon-Overlay. If you are on version 1.0.4 of the overlay and you are still crashing, please post your cheat file on github so that it can be looked at.
https://github.com/proferabg/EdiZon-Overlay/issues/12

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country
Have you updated Tesla Menu (ovlmenu.ovl) and all other overlays for 16.0.0? You do not need to delete the folder '420000000007E51A' as nx-ovlloader still works and does not need updated. It sounds like you have updated those and you are crashing while using EdiZon-Overlay. If you are on version 1.0.4 of the overlay and you are still crashing, please post your cheat file on github so that it can be looked at.
cheats had been using { } for a very long time, so I don't think that's the cause of the crashes, I had very frequent crashes in tablet mode until I deleted and redo the atmosphere folder using the same files for 16.0
just tested 15+ more times, prior to posting this message, on the games that crashes before, so far working 100%

silien3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
the cheats have nothing to do with it the problem is related to the superposition since all of them work but crash randomly by selecting the tesla cheat without activation sometimes seen only sometimes its the first time sometimes the second sometimes 3rd time
yes everything is up to date I tried the 2 versions that ELY_M and edizon overlay

the folder does not have the atmosphere and firmware modifications that were made after version 9.0.0 so even if it works since everything has been modified in depth its normal that there are crashes

I remind you that since atmosphere has been modified all like the firmware in depth so the folder is necessarily obsolete.

edit: ELY3M itself has random crashes so must come from the folder or the ovl

edit 2: it's the same with breeze and its ovl so it's the folder that is obsolete or the 2 ovl that are buggy

I forgot to say I don't use cheats with { } or special characters I rename each time to avoid this kind of bug

cheats had been using { } for a very long time, so I don't think that's the cause of the crashes, I had very frequent crashes in tablet mode until I deleted and redo the atmosphere folder using the same files for 16.0
just tested 15+ more times, prior to posting this message, on the games that crashes before, so far working 100%

I'll try again I'll see if it ends up working or not It seems to work for some but not for others.

edit: I tested again and again no it always crashes randomly there is a bug somewhere

Last edited by silien3,

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you push your fix?

The description still says HOS 16 only.

Off topic - can you please push an interim release of your sys-botbase fix while we wait for the official one to be updated?

I put up latest sys-botbase on the sys-botbase repo.

on edizon tesla overlay
I am trying to fix random crashes right now.

silien3

Trophies
XP
Country
France

on edizon tesla overlay
I tried going back its also crashed in 15.0.1 so it's either atmo itself or the ovl or the folder 420000000007E51A

I leave it to the pros, you'll find it :grog:

The_Chaotician

Hoist the Colours!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried going back its also crashed in 15.0.1 so it's either atmo itself or the ovl or the folder 420000000007E51A

I leave it to the pros, you'll find it :grog:
The 420000000007E51A folder isn't broken. Several GBATemp users and Devs on Discord have confirmed that sys-botbase doesnt need to be updated on 16.0.0 and I can confirm it works.

Most of the overlays are broken though. I've managed to replace most of mine with working versions. Only ones that i havent gotten to work are the Text Reader and Ovl Sysmodule updates that @Storm21 posted on Page 58.

silien3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The 420000000007E51A folder isn't broken. Several GBATemp users and Devs on Discord have confirmed that sys-botbase doesnt need to be updated on 16.0.0 and I can confirm it works.

Most of the overlays are broken though. I've managed to replace most of mine with working versions. Only ones that i havent gotten to work are the Text Reader and Ovl Sysmodule updates that @Storm21 posted on Page 58.
check you will see that the only times it has been updated are for this kind of problem with crashes and other even if the sys-botbase is functional all have been modified the exef should be modified to take into account the latest behavior of the firmware and atmosphere or simply to correct a leak that would have appeared or other

https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader/releases

the first or the second could be the cause but with the current version
Crash workaround
Before, libtesla exhausted service sessions which made qlaunch crash on firmwares lower than 9.0.0. nx-ovlloader now gracefully exits instead of making qlaunch crash.
If you're using a firmware lower than 9.0.0, please update!

or

A check preventing Tesla from running (and crashing / causing issues) on firmwares bellow 9.0.0 went missing with the last release. This re-adds that check again. Thanks to friedkeenan

or

Increased stack and heap size a bit again to prevent issues people were facing with certain overlays'

and other

this behavior has already taken place in the previous version so the possibility of it being false to update exists I don't know if its its or not but its still possible

it may also not be the folder as I already said
the professionals are working on it and will eventually find

edit:I also want to point out that the crash which is stronger in 16.0.0 was already present in 13.0.0 or even before it was less so and it was certainly functional but this proves that the folder may be in question let us add that 'it has not been updated to take into account the new keys and the new security for a long time

we do not know the culprit but it could be the ovl, the atmosphere itself or the folder 420000000007E51A

Last edited by silien3,

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

on edizon tesla overlay
Thanks for compiling sys-botbase! It turns out both of the things I want to use it for need to be updated, so I’ll have to play the waiting game regardless.

Take your time on the Tesla overlay. There’s no point releasing something buggy, so I’m happy to wait.

The_Chaotician

Hoist the Colours!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
check you will see that the only times it has been updated are for this kind of problem with crashes and other even if the sys-botbase is functional all have been modified the exef should be modified to take into account the latest behavior of the firmware and atmosphere or simply to correct a leak that would have appeared or other

https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader/releases

the first or the second could be the cause but with the current version
Crash workaround
Before, libtesla exhausted service sessions which made qlaunch crash on firmwares lower than 9.0.0. nx-ovlloader now gracefully exits instead of making qlaunch crash.
If you're using a firmware lower than 9.0.0, please update!

or

A check preventing Tesla from running (and crashing / causing issues) on firmwares bellow 9.0.0 went missing with the last release. This re-adds that check again. Thanks to friedkeenan

or

Increased stack and heap size a bit again to prevent issues people were facing with certain overlays'

and other

this behavior has already taken place in the previous version so the possibility of it being false to update exists I don't know if its its or not but its still possible

it may also not be the folder as I already said
the professionals are working on it and will eventually find

edit:I also want to point out that the crash which is stronger in 16.0.0 was already present in 13.0.0 or even before it was less so and it was certainly functional but this proves that the folder may be in question let us add that 'it has not been updated to take into account the new keys and the new security for a long time

we do not know the culprit but it could be the ovl, the atmosphere itself or the folder 420000000007E51A
Be that as it may, but there are others better informed than you and I of what is broken and what isn't.

The below was taken from a Discord server yesterday. I'm just going on what I've been told and what i have actually tested and can confirm is working.

1677778159949.png

If you're happy to sit and wait then that's cool. Just note that many of the original devs for the problem overlays have been AWOL for some time. None of them owe us a single thing so may not be interested in returning to fix them either.

Only TextReaderOVL updated by me... ;) And both are confirmed to work. Normal version and fullscreen mode TextReaderOVL. Maybe font folder wrong?

That will be the problem! I just lobbed the .ovl file into the .overlays directory and expected magic to happen I guess?! Any noob proof guides to get the font folder set up properly?

Thank you for your work. Everything else works like a charm :D

Edit: Fixed! Many thanks to your fine ass self! :D

Last edited by The_Chaotician,

silien3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Be that as it may, but there are others better informed than you and I of what is broken and what isn't.

The below was taken from a Discord server yesterday. I'm just going on what I've been told and what i have actually tested and can confirm is working.

View attachment 356673

If you're happy to sit and wait then that's cool. Just note that many of the original devs for the problem overlays have been AWOL for some time. None of them owe us a single thing so may not be interested in returning to fix them either.

That will be the problem! I just lobbed the .ovl file into the .overlays directory and expected magic to happen I guess?! Any noob proof guides to get the font folder set up properly?

Thank you for your work. Everything else works like a charm :D
I hope that will be corrected regardless of the culprit
the future will tell

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country
I hope that will be corrected regardless of the culprit
the future will tell
my crash rate in tablet mode was higher than 50% (it always crashes on the 1st time or 2nd time) until I deleted the atmosphere folder and extract everything again to my microsd, haven't had a crash for 3 days, probably opened the cheats menu for 50+ times already

Reactions: binkinator

silien3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
my crash rate in tablet mode was higher than 50% (it always crashes on the 1st time or 2nd time) until I deleted the atmosphere folder and extract everything again to my microsd, haven't had a crash for 3 days, probably opened the cheats menu for 50+ times already
already tried 5x at least you're lucky it's not for nothing that these random

sometimes it works for a while it must be some kind of memory leak the culprit

edit: may be related to the latest firmware security since it seems that its the new updates and the new games that are most often affected digimon world next order and pokemon scarlet 1.2.0 which comes back at least from what i have read i can me deceive I haven't read everything

Last edited by silien3,

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country
already tried 5x at least you're lucky it's not for nothing that these random

sometimes it works for a while it must be some kind of memory leak the culprit

edit: may be related to the latest firmware security since it seems that its the new updates and the new games that are most often affected digimon world next order and pokemon scarlet 1.2.0 which comes back at least from what i have read i can me deceive I haven't read everything
not really, I tested games as old as street fighter 2 ultra and small games like nso, it would still crashes on the 1st or 2nd time
try redo your atmosphere contents folder, only put necessary files require to run tesla menu, edizon cheat overlay, some cheat files and see what happens

silien3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
not really, I tested games as old as street fighter 2 ultra and small games like nso, it would still crashes on the 1st or 2nd time
try redo your atmosphere contents folder, only put necessary files require to run tesla menu, edizon cheat overlay, some cheat files and see what happens
I repeat already try its plant less but its still plant

Tsundere_Neko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If someone could please help me- I can't get Tesla to open at all. I've updated it and everything (I think- just what was in the tesla overlay update) but It literally just does not open. nothing shows up- no empty menu, nothing.
It's not crashing either, its just acting as though I don't have any overlays installed at all.

Last edited by Tsundere_Neko,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and yes ik im stupid for using it