1. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Sim city...on the SNES. :unsure:

Okay guys...be honest: what's going on here? Is it that the illustrator really wanted to draw Bowser and had to reach an agreement with the one coming up with the jokes? Is the Sim City 2000 monster too hard to draw? Is this comic actually 30 years old and only now posted online?

It's a good joke, yes. But damn, is it obscure. I'm probably well in the minority to have even have played the original sim city (on a floppy disk, no less!). But even then: the snes port was at best a compromise for those too poor to afford a system with a mouse.

What's next in these comics? "Gamers" playing Unreal Tournament with a controller? Anno with a wiimote? Doom on an oscilloscope? Yes, all these games technically exist...but that doesn't make them even a half-assed way to go around actually PLAYING these games...

x65943 and Tom Bombadildo like this.
  2. romanaOne

romanaOne GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I never played Sim{City,Ant,Earth,Farm,etc.} on any platform but got the reference instantly. If you were living someplace with toilets and electricity in the 90s, you've probably seen these games or wondered what other people were seeing in them.

A lot of people on here weren't even living in the 90s. Maybe the comic should have mouseover tooltips for los jovenes. Do like XKCD, but with optional, guileless expository text instead of the punchline.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    x65943 likes this.
  3. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Argentina
    The Snes version does have it's fans but by today standards the game kinda looks horrible.

SS4 and Torina like this.
  4. romanaOne

romanaOne GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't know about the real SimCity, but I used to play (x)lincity on linux years ago. Never really got into it, just poked at it from time to time. Seemed like half the fun was just getting the damn thing to compile.....

5. Torina

Torina GBAtemp Regular

France
    Hooo hoho, come on guy, I could play Populous on Genesis or Xcom with a PS controller all day long.

I..I had a problematic childhood...

x65943 likes this.
  6. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Argentina
    The Super Nintendo Sim City looks lame compared to Sims 4. Or to Cities: Skylines.

7. sonicrings

sonicrings GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    What's the thump? Is it the TV falling since it suddenly isn't in the frame?
    And how/why did the remote hit the guy's head? Wasn't the other guy holding in in the previous frame?

8. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes Gates

I don't get the whining. I never played the original SimCity, but I can still appreciate the joke. Don't forget we're on GBAtemp, so it makes sense to use the SNES version and Bowser.
    Hey. Dawn of Discovery on Wii is my favorite one of the franchise.

x65943 and banjo2 like this.
  9. KooPako

KooPako GBAtemp Regular

United States
    it's ok, bowser is smaller than mr wright

x65943 likes this.
  10. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I'm here to steal memes and break dreams

United States
    Nah, we'll laugh at our ignorance to the topic that we had

11. vincentx77

vincentx77 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I dunno. I rented this one weekend when I was about 15. I had an Amiga, I just never had a copy of Sim City. I remember I kinda enjoyed it for a couple of days (and back then, I'd play almost anything). Most of the games I rented that I really enjoyed I ended up getting a copy of once the prices dropped later in the 90s. I don't own SNES Sim City, so... yeah. I can say that I do know a few of people who've played it irl (though only one who really liked it).

x65943 likes this.
  12. MajinCubyan

MajinCubyan The Funky Super Saiyan

United States
    I can hear the music playing on the news report.

x65943 likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Election, Tantrums, Temper