Telltale Games is getting revived

Telltale_Games_logo.png

Telltale Games is getting a second chance at life, according to an announcement from LCG Entertainment. The closure of the studio back in 2018 had been sudden, with the reveal of the company's revival being just as out of left field. LCG Entertainment, which is a holding company, has purchased the defunct Telltale Games and all of its remaining assets, trademarks, and intellectual properties. According to the new management, Telltale Games will have a more "streamlined" structure going further, focusing on re-releasing games from the studio's backlog, along with developing new entries for its existing IP's. Some of the developers and workers at Telltale that had been laid off during the demise of the company have been re-hired, though specific names have not been mentioned. While Telltale is known for having created The Walking Dead series of narrative-driven games lightly based on the comic series, the rights to develop further games in that series have expired, and the same goes for Stranger Things. The remaining IPs that are potentially ripe for new entries include Batman, Puzzle Agent, and The Wolf Among Us.

“All of us were big fans of the games Telltale created, as we strongly believe in games as a storytelling medium and nobody did it better,” said Jamie Ottilie, CEO of the new Telltale Games. “Even now, when you see a game with strong narrative, it’s always compared to Telltale, so it’s no surprise that players and industry colleagues alike mourned the studio’s closure. We believe there is still so much life to the brand and its franchises, and we look forward to building upon the company’s storytelling legacy.”

:arrow: Source

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fkin fantastic - news of the day - should base a game around violet because I like her hairstyle :D

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... And a revival of 90+ mandatory work weeks for the main staff while management punches out early for steak dinners and company bonuses that they didn't earn, ensuring a repeat of the same scenario.

I'm not going to delude myself into thinking this iteration of TTG is going to fare any better than the last, especially if the new parent company rehires any prior management again. Never mind how telltale abused the heck out of the trope of telling players "your choices matter" when in reality you're railroaded the entire time with no real divergence.

Voyambar

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I love it when the gaming scene gets random out of the blue news like this. They should continue Minecraft: Story Mode to be honest because it was a good game and since TT died and now its back if they still have the rights to it then why not?

D

Deleted User

False, people bought out the studio, its not the gang getting back together.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
False, people bought out the studio, its not the gang getting back together.
What about this is false lol. The OP states exactly what went down. A holding group, aka investors, purchased everything that was left of the company, hired on a few devs from the team before it was shuttered, and they plan to release stuff using the company's licenses. Nowhere did I say Telltale's original team got back together.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
What about this is false lol. The OP states exactly what went down. A holding group, aka investors, purchased everything that was left of the company, hired on a few devs from the team before it was shuttered, and they plan to release stuff using the company's licenses. Nowhere did I say Telltale's original team got back together.
True, but included in the assets is TellTale's game engine, so with at least a few people who are already familiar with it and also some solid IPs like Wolf Among Us, the outcome can be actually good! Don't forget, original company's management style was completely shit after all, ANYTHING is a step up from that:P

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse