Hacking [TCP Gecko] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - Important

Sm4shModder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Important! For some reason, TCP Gecko will not work with the Nintendo title Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Wii U. TCP Gecko will work with every other game I have, from NSMBU, Mario Maker, and even Kirby, but not Smash Bros. I therefore ask you to assist me in identifying the problem and achieving the solution, not only for myself, but for my fellow Smashing comrades.

Thank You,
Sm4shModder.

Sm4shModder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I feel it's important to note that I am using TCP Gecko to connect to JGeckoU, essentially, JGecko is crashing my Smash Bros.

Technical Info.
Smash Bros Ver. 1.1.7
Wii U Ver. 5.5.1

MarioBytes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I am having what I believe is the same issue.

I can start up TCP Gecko (choosing A option --> "Install TCP Gecko with built-in code handler"). I can even connect both a SSB4 trainer and J Gecko U to the Wii U before launching SSB4 Sm4sh.
My problem is as soon as I launch Smash 4 from the game disc, the system freezes on the title launch screen for the game. I have to hard reboot the Wii U after this. This freeze only occurs when I have 'activated' TCP Gecko from homebrew launcher.
I even tested it with option 2, press X for "Install TCP gecko with code handler and SD cheats") and I observe the same behavior -> system freeze on smash 4 title launch screen.

Some other anecdotes:
* I can run TCP Gecko, connect JGecko U, and Launch another game "Fifa Soccer 13"
* Super Mario 3D World --> Game gets past Launch Title Screen but goes to eternal black screen. Ironically, I can push the Home button to get back to the Wii Menu still.

Wii firmware: 5.5.6 (installed latest homebrew and tiramisu)
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: 1.1.7
Homebrew Launcher 1.5
TCP Gecko: 2.53 (also tried 2.52 downloaded from Homebrew app store, same effect).
JGecko U: Version 4.3.5 built 3/24/24

MarioBytes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to solve my problem by downgrading TCP gecko to version 2.5, specifically to the patch from late 2017 that addressed the smash 4 crashing issue.
Leaving this info here in case it helps anyone else out there.

Reactions: MateoGBA

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: idk