ROM Hack Taiko no Tatsujin DS 1 and 2, custom songs possible?

Bkid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking into this a lot last night, and I was wondering if there was any way to create custom songs for this game. I know it seems hard to nearly impossible (at least for me), and I haven't been able to find much information on this. When extracting the contents of Taiko DS 2's sdat file, it doesn't seem to include the songs themselves, only SFX like "50 combo", other things the taiko says, and random other sounds. However, there is a file in the data folder called DATA.000 which is probably a good 80% of the total game's size. I can't really find a way to extract files from it, and a hex edit hasn't been much help (good luck sifting through 28MB of garbage to find something worthwhile..), so I was wondering if anyone else had some information on this.

Thanks.
smile.gif

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
custom songs, are possible me thinks. but would require a lot of effort. if the system works the way i think it does (which it most likely does), a lot of timing is required as well. it would be similar to EBA, but be a bit easier me thinks, a lot of work is still needed but not as much (compare things circles going linear to things that don't move but are all over the screen). Not the trouble i'd go to to put new songs on though, i'm content with the current selections of songs on it.

Bkid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well yeah the songs on taiko right now are great (better on the first one than the second, imo), but I was just wondering if it was at all possible. Who knows, in the future someone might come up with something as simple as you making a chart in notepad or something and having a .wav file, sticking them in a converting program, and they could be injected straight into the DATA file.
tongue.gif

Hey, it could happen.

Gerinych

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I've been looking to extract data.000 too, but I couldn't. The only thing I have is a header file with a list of files in data.000. Open list.bin in a Notepad, it starts off with a bunch of crap, but then you'll see some filenames. I have no idea what they are, though.

D

Deleted User

ok, a quick post just to help you get on tracks, I don't have much time right now (no matter what I try my phd won't write itself... damn) but here you go
file structure is (I stands for 4byte integer, B for a byte)
I[ndirectories] I[nfiles] 16B[timestamp]
then for each directory : a 32 bytes entry
then for each file : a 16 bytes entry
then exactly (ndirectories+nfiles) null terminated strings representing filenames

hope this helps

theli

Trophies
Website
theli.is-a-geek.org
XP
Country
deufeufeu said:
file structure is (I stands for 4byte integer, B for a byte)
I[ndirectories] I[nfiles] 16B[timestamp]
then for each directory : a 32 bytes entry
then for each file : a 16 bytes entry
then exactly (ndirectories+nfiles) null terminated strings representing filenames
yeah, looks like this , though after timestamp there is another 8-byte zero block...
i've tried to look into directory/file entries though couldn't figure out the meaning of all the bytes, just about a half
frown.gif

deufeufeu, have you ever looked into figuring out format of that entries?

litium

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I couldn't find any LZ77 decompressor. Or neither how to manage to explore inside data.000 file. It would be nice to break trough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5