[System volume information] on Switch

Qeality

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was browsing my SD content with DBI and came across a folder name [System Volume information] in the folder are 2 files
-IndexerVolumeGuid
-WPSettings.dat
I don’t recall where it came from and wanted to know more about this folder. Is it important? Can it be deleted? I only see it on DBI browsing SD contents and not on PC with SD card inserted. Any knowledge is appreciated, thank you.

Seriiez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are Windows files, possibly a windows phone. Did you use that SD card for anything else before putting it in your switch? You most likely can delete it, maybe you didn't format/wipe the SD card before using it with your switch.

Qeality

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are Windows files, possibly a windows phone. Did you use that SD card for anything else before putting it in your switch?
No, it’s only been used for my switch. I used a windows PC to set up everything on the SD.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I was browsing my SD content with DBI and came across a folder name [System Volume information] in the folder are 2 files
-IndexerVolumeGuid
-WPSettings.dat
I don’t recall where it came from and wanted to know more about this folder. Is it important? Can it be deleted? I only see it on DBI browsing SD contents and not on PC with SD card inserted. Any knowledge is appreciated, thank you.
Windows has the bad habit to touch every disk you put on your computer creating that folder, on FAT, FAT32 and ExFat you can delete it without issues, but on NTFS drivers NEVER TOUCH IT windows can save vital data on that folder.

• Wow
Reactions: hippy dave

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
-IndexerVolumeGuid
-WPSettings.dat

IndexerVolumeGuid - Used by indexing service to speed up searching of the drive's contents.

WPSettings.dat - Something to do with Windows Store, think the name dates back to Windows Phone Store and never got changed.

Both can be deleted but will be recreated instantly when the SD is mounted by a Windows PC, IIRC there is some way to stop Windows creating the folder on removable drives. But it hardly seems worth the effort.

Reactions: Qeality

Qeality

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn’t
-IndexerVolumeGuid
-WPSettings.dat
I just realized this was posted twice. I am unsure how to delete the post.
IndexerVolumeGuid - Used by indexing service to speed up searching of the drive's contents.

WPSettings.dat - Something to do with Windows Store, think the name dates back to Windows Phone Store and never got changed.

Both can be deleted but will be recreated instantly when the SD is mounted by a Windows PC, IIRC there is some way to stop Windows creating the folder on removable drives. But it hardly seems worth the effort.
Thank you!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wokey d pronouns when woku walks in

"CALL ME THEY SLASH THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM"
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: Right on point :rofl2::rofl2::tpi:
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    politics forum is def a place that exists
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: lol