[System volume information] on Switch

Qeality

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was browsing my SD content with DBI and came across a folder name [System Volume information] in the folder are 2 files
-IndexerVolumeGuid
-WPSettings.dat
I don’t recall where it came from and wanted to know more about this folder. Is it important? Can it be deleted? I only see it on DBI browsing SD contents and not on PC with SD card inserted. Any knowledge is appreciated, thank you.

Seriiez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are Windows files, possibly a windows phone. Did you use that SD card for anything else before putting it in your switch? You most likely can delete it, maybe you didn't format/wipe the SD card before using it with your switch.

Qeality

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are Windows files, possibly a windows phone. Did you use that SD card for anything else before putting it in your switch?
No, it’s only been used for my switch. I used a windows PC to set up everything on the SD.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I was browsing my SD content with DBI and came across a folder name [System Volume information] in the folder are 2 files
-IndexerVolumeGuid
-WPSettings.dat
I don’t recall where it came from and wanted to know more about this folder. Is it important? Can it be deleted? I only see it on DBI browsing SD contents and not on PC with SD card inserted. Any knowledge is appreciated, thank you.
Windows has the bad habit to touch every disk you put on your computer creating that folder, on FAT, FAT32 and ExFat you can delete it without issues, but on NTFS drivers NEVER TOUCH IT windows can save vital data on that folder.

• Wow
Reactions: hippy dave

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
-IndexerVolumeGuid
-WPSettings.dat

IndexerVolumeGuid - Used by indexing service to speed up searching of the drive's contents.

WPSettings.dat - Something to do with Windows Store, think the name dates back to Windows Phone Store and never got changed.

Both can be deleted but will be recreated instantly when the SD is mounted by a Windows PC, IIRC there is some way to stop Windows creating the folder on removable drives. But it hardly seems worth the effort.

Reactions: Qeality

Qeality

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn’t
-IndexerVolumeGuid
-WPSettings.dat
I just realized this was posted twice. I am unsure how to delete the post.
IndexerVolumeGuid - Used by indexing service to speed up searching of the drive's contents.

WPSettings.dat - Something to do with Windows Store, think the name dates back to Windows Phone Store and never got changed.

Both can be deleted but will be recreated instantly when the SD is mounted by a Windows PC, IIRC there is some way to stop Windows creating the folder on removable drives. But it hardly seems worth the effort.
Thank you!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0