System update is ready 3.0.1

Discussion in 'Switch - Hacking & Homebrew' started by ctrlp, Aug 3, 2017.

1. ctrlp
    OP

ctrlp Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2014
    United States
    So somehow my switch downloaded the update and it's been nagging to install before launching game. I have no desire to update it as I rather stay on 3.0.0. I've been lurking forums and I know on old fw like 2.0 if you restarted/shut off then it would delete the update. I have tried several times today but the update is still saved to the switch. Any one know how to remove it?

update: so I checked out the service mode but did not go through with the process as I didn't want to delete my BOTW DLC. I shut it off, turned it back on, put it to sleep. When I turned on the switch the update was gone! I did this the first day the update downloaded but it stayed in the switch, second day it's gone.

Last edited by ctrlp, Aug 4, 2017

2. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Just update. There's no reason to stay on 3.0 since there is no homebrew yet. Plus the update displays your correct battery life when the battery hits below 25% or something like that. But if you are really set on not updating, visit the switch hacking/homebrew section. There's a thread about DNS blocking and everything.

Alex1234 likes this.
  3. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
  4. khara02

khara02 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2015
    Try this, it might help

http://en-americas-support.nintendo..._id/1628/~/how-to-cancel-or-delete-a-download

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

oohps sorry, it was for WiiU

5. khara02

khara02 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2015
  6. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
  7. khara02

khara02 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2015
    Follow the instruction. Power off the console then Press POWER button while holding volume up and volume down buttons.
    Some people say that it can reset the console without losing saves, games and game update data if you chose the correct option.
    I'm curious that if it removes the updates as it says incase my switch somehow download them.

Last edited by khara02, Aug 3, 2017
    KiiWii likes this.
  8. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Vol + and - when you cold boot the device. It will enter recovery mode.

KiiWii likes this.
  9. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Sorry too early didn't see that :) thanks

10. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
  11. Yami Anubis ZX

Yami Anubis ZX Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2016
    United States
    Some of us prefer handhelds to playing on TV and Switch offers on the go multi-player aswell, not being a smart ass as I understand you but hey different things for different people.

12. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    There is, as low firmware is always better, regardless of no homebrew available or not. Every console I have for the past 30 years is exploited or has some sort of flashcart/ODE device and I keep a second for purely for online/purchased content.

Right now, my Switch is on 2.0.0 and will stay like that until the day when something like a userland/kernel exploit is useable and released to the public. However, it's quite possible that 3.x.x+ may have something in the future and staying on 2.0.0 is not needed, yet I'm not taking the risk and just being better safe than sorry.

13. yardie
    This message by yardie has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 3, 2017, Reason: not even related to anything in this forum at all...?.
    Aug 3, 2017
  14. retrofan_k
    This message by retrofan_k has been removed from public view by BORTZ, Aug 3, 2017.
    Aug 3, 2017
  15. ctrlp
    OP

ctrlp Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2014
    United States

16. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    I found an easy fix that worked for me. Idk if it will work for you though, its just a simple DNS that will block the updates of the Switch (However, you will not be able to use online services.)

DNS: 205.166.76.187
    This can be used in case you turn on your wifi, using this DNS will get rid of the update nag. (However beware, when I turned the DNS off when going online or playing a game I realized the update nag is still there and in a nutshell accidently updated to 2.0.0 -> 2.5.0 when 2.5.0 was still the max FW.

You won't be able to play online if you have a low firmware. So if you want to get into Homebrew you have to wait. Forgot to note* if your offline on your Switch you will not recieve the update nag either, I think that might be the case though.

Alternatively you can do what was said earlier...

Last edited by petethepug, Aug 5, 2017
  17. magico29

magico29 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    new baby arrived today on 2.3.0 ohhh yeahhh

18. DayVeeBoi

DayVeeBoi GBAtemp Regular

Aug 17, 2015
    Canada
    Ontario
    so new Switches are shipping with fw 2.3.0? That's what you're getting at?

19. magico29

magico29 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    no all of them,first one came with 2.0.1

20. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    Mine came last week and was 2.2.0

21. DayVeeBoi

DayVeeBoi GBAtemp Regular

Aug 17, 2015
    Canada
    Ontario
    Cool, I kept mine at 2.3.0 but I'm gonna open My copy of Splatoon today (haven't had a chance before now) and I think it needs an update, I'll try to block through my router and see if I can get online. But if not I will just update. If anything gets released in the next couple of years or so it I'm reasonably sure I'll be able to find a 2.x.x FW even if I have to pay beaucoup bucks $$$. I still see people selling 1.76 FW PS4's here and there.

Thanks

22. magico29

magico29 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    get another spare console as soon as you can i do not use it online.thats what i did