Homebrew System Transferring to a 3DS with older firmware?

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I am something of a noob who wants to get more out of my 3DS XL with Homebrew. Recently I got a replacement "Old" 3DS XL since the one I originally owned is pretty old and has a circle pad has become pretty stiff and has cracked underneath. The replacement is also fitted with a capture board. I would like to transfer all my content, including NNID/purchases and Homebrew, over to the replacement 3DS XL. I am just not sure exactly how to go about doing this seeing the 3DS checks for a firmware update when attempting to perform a system transfer.

I will try to provide as much information about my set up as possible. Again, kind of a noob, so please bear with me.

My original Old 3DS XL that has my NNID and content that I want to transfer over is on Firmware 10.7.0-32E, and has access to the OoT3DHax Homebrew exploit. Not sure if I have access to other means of exploits like the custom themes hack as I haven't properly checked it yet on my original 3DS XL. I also do not own a copy of Cubic Ninja, just OoT3D.

The 3DS that I intend to replace my original one with is also an "Old" XL model, and is currently running on firmware 9.2.0-9E. I have managed to get Homebrew running on it both by OoT3DHax exploit and the custom themes hack. Not entirely sure if Homebrew is nessiscary for the destined 3DS XL right now as I am trying to get all of my stuff from the other 3DS XL to this one.

I also do not own any sort of flash cart so I don't know if that's a requirement to make this possible.

Again I apologize for the lack of knowledge on this. I did try searching the forums but I couldn't find a specific answer to this scenario, felt kind of lost. :S

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
downgrade the 3ds and install cfw that way you can system tranfer with out loseing exploit

Could you perhaps elaborate a little? Downgrade to which firmware? Have both of them at 9.2.0-9E, or have them at a certain firmware suitable for flashing CFW? Which CFW, if there are multiple?

Also, are there any anti-bricking measures that I can take in case something does go wrong?

Thanks for the help! :)

Last edited by Melee85,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Follow Plailect's guide in the downgrading section to downgrade the console on 10.7 down to 9.2. Create an emuNAND/RedNAND on both (read Plailect's guide up to where it gets you to create a RedNAND if unsure). Then you can system transfer from one to the other. Choose "manual data transfer" if given any choice. Then you should be able to paste the data from the old console's SD card to the new one and have it work fine.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm looking up the guide overview and it says that it may be a good idea for me to format my 3DS before going ahead with the downgrade. My older 3DS has an NNID that is linked to my Wii U. Will I lose it if I format the console?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I'm looking up the guide overview and it says that it may be a good idea for me to format my 3DS before going ahead with the downgrade. My older 3DS has an NNID that is linked to my Wii U. Will I lose it if I format the console?
You'll always be able to sign back in with your NNID but you'll lose saves and other data.

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
One more thing I want to make absolute certain of before I go ahead with the guide. My 3DS XL with the NNID wasnt the source console that I registered my NNID on. In other words I registered my NNID on Wii U, then linked it to my 3DS. With this information, I will not lose the 3DS half of the NNID account and games when formatting? Sorry for asking, I did a bit of googling and am seeing conflicting results, some say their NNIDs are still there, others say they lost it.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The games and other info will be gone after the reformat, but you can sign back into the NNID and redownload your stuff once you're finished modding.

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, got it. I apologize for second guessing, I want to make sure that I do not lose my purchases and stuff. Thank you. :)

I'll be sure to follow the guide to backup my software saves as well!

Reactions: Quantumcat

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, so I've completed up to Part 3 of the guide about creating a RedNAND ( https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-3-(RedNAND) ), is this the part I should stop or should I do the whole thing?

Also, I am not 100% sure on this but it asks me to update the RedNAND. Does that mean updating to 11.0 while in the system settings that says "Emu 9.2.0-E"? Is this how I can continue to use eShop and play the latest games while retaining homebrew?

Also where should the NNID link go, RedNAND?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I've completed up to Part 3 of the guide about creating a RedNAND ( https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-3-(RedNAND) ), is this the part I should stop or should I do the whole thing?
You should follow the whole guide. Installing arm9loaderhax takes a while but your life is much easier after the fact.

Also, I am not 100% sure on this but it asks me to update the RedNAND. Does that mean updating to 11.0 while in the system settings that says "Emu 9.2.0-E"? Is this how I can continue to use eShop and play the latest games while retaining homebrew?
Yes.

Also where should the NNID link go, RedNAND?
Yes. But you can also wait until after you've installed a9lh to link your NNID. No real reason to do it beforehand.

Last edited by FenrirWolf,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You have a choice now. You can leave it as is and have RedNAND on both and system transfer between the RedNANDs. Or you can do the whole guide and have all your stuff on sysNAND (the real system). The latter is better but will take a little more time.

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, I've completed the guide up to and including Part 5. Everything seems to be running just fine! :) The System Settings indicates the CFW is now running on "Sys 11.0.0-33E", which I assume is the desired end-result.

So from now on, it's safe to update the 3DS when a new firmware comes out? I am not sure whether or the steps I have taken have essentially future-proofed my 3DS to ensure that I will not lose my exploits and such, or if I have to wait a while when a new update releases for people to develop a workaround.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Alright, I've completed the guide up to and including Part 5. Everything seems to be running just fine! :) The System Settings indicates the CFW is now running on "Sys 11.0.0-33E", which I assume is the desired end-result.

So from now on, it's safe to update the 3DS when a new firmware comes out? I am not sure whether or the steps I have taken have essentially future-proofed my 3DS to ensure that I will not lose my exploits and such, or if I have to wait a while when a new update releases for people to develop a workaround.
It should always be safe to update your console through system settings. But to be in the safe side, check for confirmation on the forums just in case Nintendo worked out something ingenious (unlikely). If you can't check the forums just make a sysNAND backup and if somehow something goes wrong you can restore with Decrypt9.

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I'm now working to do the same process on my other 3DS XL, and I've ran into a small problem.

Attempting to load up PlaiSysUpdater on Step 8 of Part 2, I am constantly getting a yellow screen no matter how many times I've tried to load it. Happening on V10.1.0-9E (Firmware installed from Paper Jam cart update)

I did a little googling on the situation and apparently it's a result of me using a cart update that has a "dummy" Browser installed, and an alternative to PlaiSysUpdater is an app called SafeSysUpdater:
https://github.com/Plailect/PlaiSysUpdater/issues/10

Is this a safe alternative? (I know how dumb that sounds given the "Safe" in the title of the alternative app, just wanting to make sure that this will not brick my 3DS since I'm technically not following the guide by doing this)

Last edited by Melee85,

coder65535

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm now working to do the same process on my other 3DS XL, and I've ran into a small problem.

Attempting to load up PlaiSysUpdater on Step 8 of Part 2, I am constantly getting a yellow screen no matter how many times I've tried to load it. Happening on V10.1.0-9E (Firmware installed from Paper Jam cart update)

I did a little googling on the situation and apparently it's a result of me using a cart update that has a "dummy" Browser installed, and an alternative to PlaiSysUpdater is an app called SafeSysUpdater:
https://github.com/Plailect/PlaiSysUpdater/issues/10

Is this a safe alternative? (I know how dumb that sounds given the "Safe" in the title of the alternative app, just wanting to make sure that this will not brick my 3DS since I'm technically not following the guide by doing this)

PlaiSysUpdater is actually just SafeSysUpdater set up to work with 9.2 and 2.1 only. It's easier to use for the guide. I don't know what you should do, sorry.

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like Browserhax isn't going to be an option for you. Just get Cubic Ninja (it's not expensive anymore) or something.

I wasn't using BrowserHax. I was using the Menu Manager/ThemeHax exploit to boot up Homebrew. After that I tried OoT3DHax (which was how I got MenuManager exploit installed through), that also crashes with a yellow screen.

I dont think changing payloads is going to fix this.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, keep on trying with SafeSysUpdater I guess.

If it does manage to boot, you could try using an upgrade pack for your current firmware (or a higher firmware like 10.3) and upgrading, which would get you a normal browser again. Then you would have an easier time attempting your downgrade afterwards.

Last edited by FenrirWolf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...