Homebrew System Transferring to a 3DS with older firmware?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well, keep on trying with SafeSysUpdater I guess.

If it does manage to boot, you could try using an upgrade pack for your current firmware (or a higher firmware like 10.3) and upgrading, which would get you a normal browser again. Then you would have an easier time attempting your downgrade afterwards.
If he has a non-browser entry point, will that make any difference? Once you're in the homebrew menu I wouldn't have thought the browser version would matter.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I would have thought too. But he says that everything is working except sysupdater and he attributes that fact to the browser. Doesn't make sense to me either, but if he pulls it off successfully he'd at least fix the browser thing. Which might or might not fix his primary issue.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So for the time being I have to put modding the second 3DS XL on hold as I've stumbled into a major issue with the first 3DS XL that I thought I successfully softmodded.

After completing Step 5 and doing everything pretty much to the letter, the console ran fine. It was running on Sys 11.0.0-33E and was functioning, and all the homebrew/additional options installed were also working. I had since turned the system off (roughly a day ago), and only just turned it back on an hour ago. Well, I tried to.

For some reason my system seems to have possibly bricked itself. The console is now in a state of the power light turning on for a brief moment before going back off. Audio and screen to not initialize, and recovery mode is inaccessable.

I've tried changing out the battery as well as removing the SD card, it doesn't seem to want to boot up now despite coming out of the guide pretty much fine.

EDIT: So I tried putting the SD card back in again and it seems to have booted up now. Is it supposed to have the SD card in in order to boot up? If so what file/files are needed on the SD card that tells it to boot? I apologize for my noobishness on this. :S

Last edited by Melee85,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So for the time being I have to put modding the second 3DS XL on hold as I've stumbled into a major issue with the first 3DS XL that I thought I successfully softmodded.

After completing Step 5 and doing everything pretty much to the letter, the console ran fine. It was running on Sys 11.0.0-33E and was functioning, and all the homebrew/additional options installed were also working. I had since turned the system off (roughly a day ago), and only just turned it back on an hour ago. Well, I tried to.

For some reason my system seems to have possibly bricked itself. The console is now in a state of the power light turning on for a brief moment before going back off. Audio and screen to not initialize, and recovery mode is inaccessable.

I've tried changing out the battery as well as removing the SD card, it doesn't seem to want to boot up now despite coming out of the guide pretty much fine.

EDIT: So I tried putting the SD card back in again and it seems to have booted up now. Is it supposed to have the SD card in in order to boot up? If so what file/files are needed on the SD card that tells it to boot? I apologize for my noobishness on this. :S
You must have an arm9loaderhax.bin on your SD card for it to boot.

Reactions: Melee85

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ah alright, I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

Back to the second 3DS XL, the link I posted to a short while back suggests that using a cartridge update containing a "Dummy" browser does not boot up PlaiSysUpdater regardless of how many times you try. I'm not sure if the same remains true if I tried, say, v03 as opposed to the current v04. It probably wouldn't.

Suppose I was to try what FenrirWolf suggested and I update to full 10.3 before performing a 9.2 downgrade, where would I find the files for 10.3 E to use with SafeSysUpdater?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Ah alright, I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

Back to the second 3DS XL, the link I posted to a short while back suggests that using a cartridge update containing a "Dummy" browser does not boot up PlaiSysUpdater regardless of how many times you try. I'm not sure if the same remains true if I tried, say, v03 as opposed to the current v04. It probably wouldn't.

Suppose I was to try what FenrirWolf suggested and I update to full 10.3 before performing a 9.2 downgrade, where would I find the files for 10.3 E to use with SafeSysUpdater?
You could try 3DNUS or if they're not there, that ISO site. Good luck!

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, I've downloaded 10.3.0-28E from 3DNUS. Downloaded it again a second time just to make sure it downloaded everything correctly, both times it downloaded the same number of files and come to the same total number of bytes, so I think it should be fine. Is there any way to confirm the actual size of a specific update or do you think that'll work?

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, attempted SafeSysUpdater and it appears to be frozen on the "HAX INIT..." message.

Should I reboot the 3DS and try again? Not sure what to do right now.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Alright, attempted SafeSysUpdater and it appears to be frozen on the "HAX INIT..." message.

Should I reboot the 3DS and try again? Not sure what to do right now.
Yeah. It might take a lot of tries. PlaiSysUpdater tends to be more reliable (not to mention more stable) but you can't get that working so...
Try loading up FTBrony or FTP-3DS, pressing B to exit to HBL then loading PlaiSysUpdater/SafeSysUpdater, it improves the chances of it working.

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah. It might take a lot of tries. PlaiSysUpdater tends to be more reliable (not to mention more stable) but you can't get that working so...
Try loading up FTBrony or FTP-3DS, pressing B to exit to HBL then loading PlaiSysUpdater/SafeSysUpdater, it improves the chances of it working.

Alright, I will give this a try.

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It also tends to be most stable with menuhax. Worked on the first try when I did it this way on menuhax but could not get it working after several tries with browserhax.
Yeah, I've been using the Menuhax entrypoint. I do not have access to Browserhax since I am using a version of the firmware installed via Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam cartridge which doesn't include a browser (V10.1.0-9E btw)

I was attempting to downgrade to 9.2E, but I am not sure if I should do that or if I should upgrade to 10.3E instead before doing the 9.2 downgrade.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah, I've been using the Menuhax entrypoint. I do not have access to Browserhax since I am using a version of the firmware installed via Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam cartridge which doesn't include a browser (V10.1.0-9E btw)

I was attempting to downgrade to 9.2E, but I am not sure if I should do that or if I should upgrade to 10.3E instead before doing the 9.2 downgrade.
I'm not sure if it matters. Some people say it does and in some cases it might since updating will get rid of any modded or downgraded system titles that might cause problems. If you don't have any modded or downgraded system titles I can't see how it would matter.

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I now see what's in the attachment, and it froze there. Do I shut the 3DS down again or?

IMG_20160612_114214.jpg

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, after about 20 attempts it finally proceeded to the downgrade process, and I'm now on 9.2.0E. Continuing with the guide :)

Melee85

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, so I finished Part 5 with my second 3DS XL! I guess the only things left to do are to A) Link NNID to original 3DS and B) perform system transfer from original to target 3DS? Both of them are now on "Sys 11.0.0-33E"

Last edited by Melee85,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi +1