Hacking system files are corrupt

theninjapenguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi all. i just got a brand new wii, and i was trying to hack it. i got the homebrew channel, neogamma, preloader and everything, but it still wouldn't play any burned games. so i figured i messed up somewhere and decided to start over. so i formated my console, and now whenever i turn it on preloader still pops up, and when i go to systemmenu, i get a screen that says "system files are corrupt, refer to owner's manual." (and this screen is messed up as well, the letters have pieces missing from them.)

is there anything i can do? or is my wii screwed? any help will be very much appreciated.

muck chucker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try this go into preloader then select the bootom setting then the bottom again should be ios something change that to ios 60 or 30 one of them should work

theninjapenguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried booting HBC, but since this happened after i formated, it's not there. i get an error saying it's not installed. would i be able to put wad manager on a sd card, load it from preloader, then instal the system wad?

nutta_nic

Trophies
XP
Country
try what you said yourself about wadmanager and system menu, but this will erase preloader so if it fails your bricked

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
I am sorry, I don't know how to fix your problems exactly (although if you have preloader and HBC installed u should be able to fix ur issue by download the proper system menu files with NUSD and installing them via wad manager). But I wouldnt do anything else until you know EXACTLY how to fix it. Blindly changing options and deleteing things is only bound to screw yourself over more if you have no clue what the heck you're doing. For additional fun reading I suggest this topic: http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=176554

theninjapenguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so if i were to load the wad manager off a sd card, what systemmenu.wad would i need?
also, would nintendo be able to repair it? (i know i'd have to pay since i was hacking it)

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
You will need the corresponding sys menu wad for your region. If you have been on 4.1E per example, you gonna need this wad.

And for Nintendo... you only have to say that the power went out during and update and then the Wii was dead.

theninjapenguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if i told nintendo that it happened during a power outage or what ever, and i disabled preloader on start up, do you think i could still get the warranty? cuz the wii is only a few days old
frown.gif

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
theninjapenguin said:
if i told nintendo that it happened during a power outage or what ever, and i disabled preloader on start up, do you think i could still get the warranty? cuz the wii is only a few days old
frown.gif

They wont check what is installed... they just either flash it with a new Nand or replace the Wii(not in this case, mostly with hardware issues).

theninjapenguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
muck chucker said:
what sort of "format" did you do also which cios did you install.

I did the format in the wii system menu. And I followed the "mod any wii" guide that's stickied on this forum, so I used whatever cios is in there.

HellFireXS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I might be wrong about this (Still a newbie) but couldn't you use preloader boot the hackmi installer and install the HBC channel then use preloder to run it?

theninjapenguin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, thanks for all the help everyone. i ended up just calling target and saying it wasn't working out of the box and got it replaced. i am still interested in getting it to play back ups though, and would like any input on where i should find a guide to do so. (should i just follow the same guide as before?) and what discs i should use. i burned twilight princess at 4x using imgburn on a maxell dvd-r. was that the reason they wouldn't play in my machine?

Maybe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My recommendation is to first READ this whole thing to get used to the programs and terms: here

Then use this guide for the actual modding: this

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is why formatting systems is dumb and noobs should not do it. Backups rely on a cIOS to work so if you didn't properly install one and use NeoGamma to load them that would be why they wouldn't work. Trying to "start over" is worthless and stupid because it will inevitably lead to things like this when you don't know what you're doing and anything can pretty much be installed over anyways. If you can still load preloader at all, you should be able to load a wad manager and install necessary system files.

It is risky to install IOS60 and a 4.1 system menu wad of your region, as it will remove preloader, but as long as you don't have a banner brick it should work.

The first thing you should try is loading the preloader installer .dol file directly from preloader, you could even try loading the hackmii installer boot.elf directly from there as well and install the HBC/bootmii, then load it from the HBC. Anyways, try to reinstall preloader.

If that doesn't fix the brick, then first see what system menu preloader says you are on, then install the IOS that corresponds to that system menu (IOS30 for 3.2, IOS50 for 3.4, IOS60 for 4.0/4.1) and make sure those IOS's aren't stub IOS's that you install otherwise you'd fuck yourself harder. Then try reinstalling preloader again and see if that works.

If it doesn't, then install IOS60 and then a 4.1 system menu wad of your region. If it's still bricked, send it to Nintendo.

Edit: Or you can do that and not be a noob this time when hacking your new Wii. And read through my entire guide posted above and in my sig and in the stickies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1