OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SX OS - Error and Solutions
Updated: June 25, 2018 11:00am (EST)

Rules & Intro
Hey Guys, This thread will serve as a go to Information Board for issues related to SX OS, compiles from the thread itself and information found throughout the forums. I hope the information here can help you solve whatever problem you're experiencing or at least save you time from trying to troubleshoot yourself, if the issue is found to have no solution as of the latest available firmware of SX OS.

Is there an issue not listed below? Post and let us know so we can discuss it, try to find a solution, and add the information for everyone to find easily!
If you are submitting a an error, please make sure to include as many details as possible, such as:

• Firmware You're Running
  • SD Card Specs (Brand, model, size, format)
  • Backup Name and Origin (i.e. Your own? BBB Release? header included or header free?)
  • Details of the error - how it happened. when it happened first. can you reproduce it?
  • Details of Solution - If you already found it, or went somewhere else online to find the solution, add it anyways so that every may know.
I will try to compile all issues and their solutions here as often as I can so we don't have to go through a sea of posts to get things running.

SX OS Firmware 1.2 has been released ( https://sx.xecuter.com/ ) - Allows for Type 2 Cards to work, but LA Noir and 1-2 Switch still have issues.

Ban Reports are starting to come in. In order to keep things in order, report to Draxzelex's Thread here: ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-banning-hub.508710/ ) Information regarding Bans will be updated here, but having long discussions here might creation chaos, so everything to its rightful place!

SD Cards - Information related to SD Cards and their reported success / failure to run games:
NOTE: If you are having issues with your SD card when running SX OS, mainly that only a few games show up, or you get game card error, please look into getting your sd card checked as it could be a fake with software like H2testw (follow this link as a guide: ).
What will happen here is, that you computer will see the advertised capacity (say 128 gb),but the card may actually be a 32gb modified to appear to be a 128gb card. On your computer it will seem like you have space and your game are being copied, but only the first few will work, anything after that is not actually stored, and will therefore not show up on SX OS. Please test if your card is real before reporting sd card errors.

Setup - Issues with SX OS nor running, not being able to set up correctly, activation, etc:
  • Boot.Dat?: Downloaded the Boot.Dat, but the CFW is not working.
    • Solution : Make sure the Boot.Dat is located in the root folder of your SD card
    • Solution 2 : Try re-formatting your SD Card using your PC, Insert Into Switch and format again using the Switch, and then re-add all files. The issue could be a bad format on the card.
  • I haven't received my Code yet (SX Pro): How can I run the games?
    • Solution : The Code is included in your Dongle. Simply proceed to enter RCM mode with the dongle on and the Boot.Dat files on the root folder, and go into CFW. This will give you the choice to activate online with Wi-Fi on, or take a file into your computer to activate through Xecuter's website ( https://sx.xecuter.com/sxos-license.html )
  • Can I Use Multiple SD Cards: My card is too small and I'd like to use multiple ones with the same license.
    • Solution : Yes, you can. The license is tied to the console. Simply Copy the Boot.Dat into the new card. Please remember you must reboot into CFW every time you change your SD Card
  • How do I reach the SX OS Menu again? (Mainly on Auto RCM): I need to remove Auto RCM, run OFW or run other payload, how do I do this?
    • Solution : Hold Volume Up as you cold boot while going into RCM, this will enable the menu again.
  • "Server Response error / missing license_request.dat": I then disabled the Auto RCM and followed the process to boot into the Custom firmware but the payload does not seem to generate the license-request.dat on my SD or accept my SX OS license key once booted and selecting the Album. It results in a “server response error”.
    • Solution : This could be fixed by using a non OSX system.

Crashes: Information related to errors that lead to blank screens, frozen system and other crashes.
  • System freezes / Black Screen: This can happen when using homebrew, and if software crashes, or the console goes to sleep, it can seem like a soft brick.
    • Solution: Hold the Power Button for 10-15 secons to fully shut down, and try turning on the console again. Note: If you have Auto RCM, you must use the dongle or computer method in order to boot up, otherwise you'll get a blank screen again.
  • Homebrew Running Slow: Even when other CFW / Payloads run the same Homebrew just fine.
    • Solution: This seems to be due to the last minute implementation into the first Firmware Release. We'll have to wait for an update to optimize, or for now, for Homebrew Intensive Tasks, I recommend using the Dongle / PC / Phone to use a different Payload for Homebrew.
  • Battery Dying : There's a report of the battery dying even though the level showed as 29%, and must charge again.
    • Solution: Have not been able to replicate this yet.
  • Not able to reach SX OS or Auto RCM : (Note: this is mainly the case when Auto RCM is installed)Console appears to stay frozen / in blank screen, and even when holding the power button and trying to cold boot, it will not load.
    • Solution: Take your Dongle out and charge it using a USB C battery Backup or the included cable for a minute or so, until you hear the buzzing noise it makes when it has a charge. Then attempt to cold boot again after with the dongle. If there is no charge, it wont be able to boot the CFW, and this will leave you at a blank screen RCM.
    • Solution 2: If using a computer, try a different USB port, as it is possible that your driver crashed and is not letting you access the payload, and you will stay stuck at the blank screen RCM

Backup Loading & Game Issues
  • Fat32 Split XCI not working (for systems on lower firmware): games will either not show up or will freeze upon loading.
    • Solution :
    • The problems occured with dumps which have been split with older versions of XCI-Cutter (< 2.4.2).
      These dumps have to be joined using an older version and then re-split using the current version.

The current version expects a slightly smaller part-size. Upon joining it will break previously split
      dumps, since it won't read the full parts.
      I'll add a check in the next version to detect parts with a different size.

For everyone who didn't use an older version, 2.4.2 should work without problems: https://github.com/Destiny1984/XCI-Cutter/releases
  • Card 2 Games Not working: Games like Sushi Striker (Type 2 Cards) will not show up on the loader using SX OS
    • Solution : Firmware 1.2 has been released, and type 2 cards will now work, please update.
    • List of Card 2 Games:
      • Harvest Moon Light of Hope
      • Sushi Striker The Way of Sushido
      • Happy Birthdays
      • Legend of Kay Anniversary
      • Cube Creator X
      • The Snack World Trejarers Gold
      • Fallen Legion Rise to Glory
    • "The game card could not be read.": This happens then either the SD Card controller doesn't communicate with the switch, or the files added are fragmented / corrupted, or SD card is fake.
    • Solution 1: Try Deleting the files, and adding them one by one again. Avoid using OSX (Mac).
    • Solution 2: Backup your license and other important files. Reformat Your SD Card, and add the files one by one (specially the boot.dat and XCI files).
    • Solution 3: Try a new SD Card
  • Game not showing up: Game XCI added to Root folder, but the game does not show up on the backup loader screen. (This was with a Trimmed Bayonetta 1 Japanese Card Backup)
    • Solution 1: Try renaming the .XCI first, specially removing any special characters and keeping the name as short as possible. This can interfere with the game showing up.
    • Solution 2: Try doing a second backup. If the first was trimmed, try to keep it intact and see if that changes the outcome.
    • Solution 3: Try transferring games one by one instead of many at once. This COULD create problems due to fragmentation of the file during a mass transfer
    • Solution 4: Avoid using Linux or OSX (Mac), as these could fragment the file transfer. - Based on user reports
    • Solution 5: Try re-formatting your card to Fat 32 or Ex-Fat, then format again on your switch. Warning: BACK UP YOUR LICENSE FILES BEFORE HAND!
    • Games that Seemed to be affected but are not Game Specific - This could be due to the way the file was written into the SD card, a XCI that got corrupted during download, bad dumped xci, or even the SD card itself.
      • Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection: Some users reporting it didn't showed up, most seem to have it working - just try re-dumping (or downloading from a different source), or re-format your card
      • Fifa 18: Some users reporting it didn't showed up, most seem to have it working - just try re-dumping (or downloading from a different source), or re-format your card
      • Gunvolt: Some users reporting it crashes / froze, most seem to have it working - just try re-dumping (or downloading from a different source), or re-format your card
Game Specific Issues
  • DK Tropical FreezeSlow Loading Screens : Game works, but load times are extended compared to original card (BBB release and multiple personal dumps, trimmed and un-trimmed
    • Solution : Not needed, game runs, just takes a little longer to load.
  • La Noir Not working: appear on menu but will not load (stuck in blank screen) or will show nintendo logo and then freeze.
    • Solution : If it freezes, hold the power button for 15 seconds and cold boot again. For now, we have to wait for an update. (Update 1.2 does not fix this issue yet)
  • 1-2 Switch Crashes: Reports show crashing at the Eating Game, but will finish playing the intro video
    • Solution : Avoid playing the eating game. If it freezes, hold the power button for 15 seconds and cold boot again. For now, we have to wait for an update. (Update 1.2 does not fix this issue yet)
  • Rocket League Doesn't work: Appears to be an issue where the game tries to connect online automatically and won't run (gives error code)
    • Solution : use an original dump with cert, or you could use an injected cert from another game at the risk of getting banned.
  • Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01 - Variety Kit:appear on menu but will not load (stuck in blank screen) or will show nintendo logo and then freeze.
    • Solution : If it freezes, hold the power button for 15 seconds and cold boot again. For now, we have to wait for an update. (Update 1.2 does not fix this issue yet)
  • Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 02 - Robot Kit: appear on menu but will not load (stuck in blank screen) or will show nintendo logo and then freeze.

Online Related Matters - Going Online, Downloading Updates, etc
Please be aware that Online use COULD lead to a System Ban, use at your own Risk - This section will only include experiences for informational purposes only, we take no responsibility if you go online.
A User has reported getting banned, and it appears that the trigger was him downloading updates in SX OS rather than OFW

• Downloading Game Updates for Backups: The Switch will see that a game cart was used, so you can use the backup in airplane mode, reset to OFW, and then download updates for the games then (Press + for more options, then download update). You can do the updates when in CFW as well, but it is recommended you do so only in OFW to avoid any possible flags.
  • Accessing e-Shop: You can access the e-Shop in CFW as well, but it is recommended you do so only in OFW to avoid any possible flags.
  • Playing Backups Online Pt1: There has been a few reports of people going online to test out. Some report being able to play without an issue (supposedly with BBB backups) for a few hours. Some others report getting a "Game card is banned" message, or something similar, but being able to play online in OFW with original game carts after the message appeared. Note that I have yet to see any reports about signed personal backups and them running online.
  • Playing Backups Online Pt2: There are new reports that the XCI's are being banned from entering online, even self made dumps. For self made dumps, the original game appear to still work in OFW.
  • Will I get banned?: Keep in mind that it is unlikely that Nintendo will insta-ban at this point. They will likely collect data and do a big ban hammer. There are no official and / or accurate reports to say that you 100% will or will not. Always take every possible precaution (second switch, airplane mode, not playing online, etc)
Sources about Online:

Last edited by OhhSheetz,

DarkOrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had the "BOOT.DAT?" issue even though I had the boot.dat file on my microSD root. I was able to fix it by formatting the SD Card with my PC AND with my Switch. Then I placed the boot.dat on my microSD root again and it finally worked.

Zolmastrian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can you have your own BOOT.DAT file in multiple sd cards?
Example: sd#1 with boot.dat --> turn off the console --> switch sd#1 with sd#2 (with boot.dat) --> turn on the console --> enjoy

Reactions: NikitaSW

chowyunfatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
anyone knows if it runs propely 'card 2' games? (like happy birthdays or sushi striker)
it doesn't

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

OK, after spending a bit of time here are some observations.
Each game has to be loaded in the TX menu to show in horizon, and they show up as a game cart. You have to then load another in the TX menu to load it into the slot so to speak.
No big hassle.

Card 2 Games not working it seams, not tried trimming or injecting header just bbb releases. Also not sure if those games work with the layered way?
Side loading payloads is probably only good with the dongle as you have to hold + when injecting a payload to begin with so if its already connected to PC you might as well just inject the one you want.
Games run fine and save so far, Samsung SD card. All load fast and no glitches yet, tried about 7.

Home brew, pfba of which I've played a lot of runs poorly using TX payload. Runs great with normal payloads so TX must have a problem with homebrew?
Switch in airplane mode is asking to update games straightaway, not sure if it should know the games need updates unless day one? Not tried updating tho and staying in airplane mode for now. No wifi.

Seems ok so far, compatibility and payload needs improving with updates but quite impressed. Thing is it feels a lot like original gateway, good or bad!

OhhSheetz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for your input so far guys, keep it coming so we can build a nice database for everyone to troubleshoot their Systems.

I had the "BOOT.DAT?" issue even though I had the boot.dat file on my microSD root. I was able to fix it by formatting the SD Card with my PC AND with my Switch. Then I placed the boot.dat on my microSD root again and it finally worked.
Thanks for the information DarkOrb - Added to the Post

anyone knows if it runs propely 'card 2' games? (like happy birthdays or sushi striker)
To My understanding, No, but Will attempt later myself, or see if anyone else has found a way to run them.

Can you have your own BOOT.DAT file in multiple sd cards?
Example: sd#1 with boot.dat --> turn off the console --> switch sd#1 with sd#2 (with boot.dat) --> turn on the console --> enjoy
Yes, I have added the information to the Setup Section, thanks for your question.

homebrew Ftp no working on sx os / has issue with showing directory structure
Have not had time to try this yet, but Will update once I try it or see if anyone else found the solution.

Reactions: lordhell

Masacci0

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
SX OS - Error and Solution Discussion Thread
Updated: June 19, 2018 7:00am (EST)

Hey Guys, so Instead of having a lot of Threads opened up to discuss issues about SX OS, I think it would be better to add them here to discuss, and create a collection of their solutions (if Found).​

Rules

If you are submitting a an error, please make sure to include as many details as possible

• Firmware You're Running
  • SD Card Specs (Brand, model, size, format)
  • Backup Name and Origin (i.e. Your own? BBB Release? header included or header free?)
  • Details of the error - how it happened. when it happened first. can you reproduce it?
  • Details of Solution - If you already found it, or went somewhere else online to find the solution, add it anyways so that every may know.
I will try to compile all issues and their solutions here as often as I can so we don't have to go through a sea of posts to get things running.

Setup
  • Boot.Dat?: Downloaded the Boot.Dat, but the CFW is not working.
    • Solution : Make sure the Boot.Dat is located in the root folder of your SD card
    • Solution 2 : Try re-formatting your SD Card using your PC, Insert Into Switch, and then re-add all files. The issue could be a bad format on the card.
  • I haven't received my Code yet (SX Pro): How can I run the games?
    • Solution : The Code is included in your Dongle. Simply proceed to enter RCM mode with the dongle on and the Boot.Dat files on the root folder, and go into CFW. This will give you the choice to activate online with Wi-Fi on, or take a file into your computer to activate through Xecuter's website ( https://sx.xecuter.com/sxos-license.html )
  • Can I Use Multiple SD Cards: My card is too small and I'd like to use multiple ones with the same license.
    • Solution : Yes, you can. The license is tied to the console. Simply Copy the Boot.Dat into the new card. Please remember you must reboot into CFW every time you change your SD Card

Crashes
  • System freezes / Black Screen: This can happen when using homebrew, and if software crashes, or the console goes to sleep, it can seem like a soft brick.
    • Solution: Hold the Power Button for 10-15 secons to fully shut down, and try turning on the console again

Backup Loading
  • Game not showing up: Game XCI added to Root folder, but the game does not show up on the backup loader screen. (This was with a Trimmed Bayonetta 1 Japanese Card Backup)
    • Solution 1: Try renaming the .XCI first, specially removing any special characters. This can interfere with the game showing up.
    • Solution 2: Try doing a second backup. If the first was trimmed, try to keep it intact and see if that changes the outcome.
  • Slow Loading Screens: Noticing Slow loading of games compared to original game cartridge
    • Cards used:
      • Sandisk EVP Plus U3 128gb
    • Solution : *Trying different cards right now, will Update later*

sandisk evp plus u3

you mean samsung evo?

lordhell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
it doesn't

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

OK, after spending a bit of time here are some observations.
Each game has to be loaded in the TX menu to show in horizon, and they show up as a game cart. You have to then load another in the TX menu to load it into the slot so to speak.
No big hassle.

Card 2 Games not working it seams, not tried trimming or injecting header just bbb releases. Also not sure if those games work with the layered way?
Side loading payloads is probably only good with the dongle as you have to hold + when injecting a payload to begin with so if its already connected to PC you might as well just inject the one you want.
Games run fine and save so far, Samsung SD card. All load fast and no glitches yet, tried about 7.

Home brew, pfba of which I've played a lot of runs poorly using TX payload. Runs great with normal payloads so TX must have a problem with homebrew?
Switch in airplane mode is asking to update games straightaway, not sure if it should know the games need updates unless day one? Not tried updating tho and staying in airplane mode for now. No wifi.

Seems ok so far, compatibility and payload needs improving with updates but quite impressed. Thing is it feels a lot like original gateway, good or bad!

happy birthdays (a card2 game) works and saves in layered way using his own demo as a donor game.

Reactions: chowyunfatt

OhhSheetz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
happy birthdays (a card2 game) works and saves in layered way using his own demo as a donor game.
As I added to the First Post, this seems to be needing a CFW Update in order to work, as these Card 2 Games have only been around for a small amount of time. I will look more into it, but do you know if saves worked using layered?

I always buy Samsung sd's... Is the best option to run backups on the Switch (?)
I'm not sure if we have quite determines the best SD Card for the SX OS, but my Samsung EVO Plus seems to be running games a little on the slow side (loading times only)

Is it cracked yet?
I don't think this is much of an Error and Solution, but I'm sure you can find some information on this in one of the "Cracking SX OS" Threads floating in the forums.

--

Well, I'm off to work, so I will update during the day as I get a chance.

lordhell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As I added to the First Post, this seems to be needing a CFW Update in order to work, as these Card 2 Games have only been around for a small amount of time. I will look more into it, but do you know if saves worked using layered?

As reported on lfsdb.com, save are working. I didnt tested myself.

Masacci0

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm not sure if we have quite determines the best SD Card for the SX OS, but my Samsung EVO Plus seems to be running games a little on the slow side (loading times only)

exfat or fat32? (also does that theoretically change something, is exfat better than fat32 regarding speed?)

OhhSheetz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
exfat or fat32? (also does that theoretically change something, is exfat better than fat32 regarding speed?)
Sorry, forgot to add that, it was Ex-Fat. As per speed, in theory, speed would be faster in Ex-Fat, but have not tried Fat 32 to really compare it.

DarkOrb

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the information DarkOrb - Added to the Post

Try re-formatting your SD Card using your PC, Insert Into Switch, and then re-add all files. The issue could be a bad format on the card.

Sorry, but you got me wrong. You have to format the SD using your PC and your Switch because in rare cases formatting with your PC only is not enough. Then you can re-add all files.

Reactions: OhhSheetz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr