Question SX OS affecting Switch battery life

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by radine, Aug 3, 2018.

1. radine
    OP

radine Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2007
    Afghanistan
    hello,

anyone else who jailbreak their switch with sx os noticed that their switch's battery life has gone down the toilet?
    before jailbreaking, my switch can be turn off completely and it will not drain bettery at all, but my jailbreak switch now will drain battery even when the switch has been completely turned off.

ItsKipz likes this.
  2. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    magico29 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    I dont think so!!

3. Rob Blou

Rob Blou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    If you have autoRCM or brickmii your switch will reboot into recovery mode after 15 sec when you power it off from the switch OS. You have to reboot, go in the SX OS menu and press power off.

4. radine
    OP

radine Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2007
    Afghanistan
    Hey Rob

I think you misunderstood, here's what happened.

1. I charge switch to 100%, play game till switch is 80%.
    2. Turn off switch by long press on power button and choosing power off
    3. hours later, power up the switch with the sx dongle and now my switch is 15% power.

Tested this on another non Jb switch, and even powering off overnight it was able to retain it's charge amount.

5. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    Totally sounds like you have AutoRCM installed. Do you?

6. nWo

nWo The Game Master

Oct 20, 2016
    Mexico
    While I have seen some battery drainage when the Switch it`s on sleep mode (no autoRCM), it`s minimal and not a problem. What I have noticed tho, it`s that two chargers (third party) went crazy and stopped working about two weeks since using SX OS. Don`t know why, or if it`s in any way related to that.

7. radine
    OP

radine Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2007
    Afghanistan
    yes, I do have AutoRCM installed, is this normal for it to drain battery even when it's off?

8. Wezaa

Wezaa GBAtemp Regular

Apr 29, 2015
    Omfg. Can we please have a PSA to NOT use autoRCM. So many people just do not read about the cons of it and makes these posts....
    Is it really so hard to use a well made jig every now and then?
    Sheesh..

tbb043, RahFah and slaphappygamer like this.
  9. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa Planeptunes Male CPU

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Planeptune
    AutoRCM causes bad batterydrain. if you turn it off the normal way it boots 12-15 secs after it shuts down in RCM mode.... eithery you have to uninstall Auto RCM or you turn console off from sx os menu

RahFah likes this.
  10. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
  11. andyhappypants

andyhappypants Pika!

Jul 27, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hoenn
    Nothing wrong with AutoRCM. People just need to using the fucking search and not expect to be spoon fed an answer when THEY cock up. Mine lives in its dock when its not being used so always charged.

12. Rob Blou

Rob Blou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2013
    Canada
    That's exactly what I was refering to. With autoRCM your switch will reboot when you power it off the way you do ... only thing is, you won't notice it because the screen is black so your battery is draining. Do what I said and you'll be fine.

iktwo and tehlers like this.
  13. MikeTheKnight2016

MikeTheKnight2016 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 26, 2016
    United States
    AutoRCM is not a bad thing, people just need to research what can happen when enabled.

This is normal.

RahFah likes this.
  14. ABigMoustache

ABigMoustache GBAtemp Regular

Jan 22, 2016
    Colombia
    [​IMG]

15. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    So, bad meme aside.. This isn't even relatable. You're not killing or damaging your Switch while using AutoRCM, just have to understand the caveats that come with it.

tbb043 and Supster131 like this.
  16. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    yeah, if I have to get out the dongle, the jig is right there in the same box anyway. unless you bought from those dumbasses that just threw out the boxes and sent it to you in an envelope... I just use sleep mode anyway, unless changing sd cards or something.