pausuri Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the clarification!

2. json

json MUSCLEMAN

Burkina Faso
    These are pretty strange things to say.

Are you sure the power is off? What VCC rails are still powered in this 'power off' state? How did you measure it?
    And to compare, with a 'unmodified' Switch, what power draw do you measure for 'power off' ?

Modificatorul likes this.
  3. Modificatorul

Modificatorul GBAtemp Regular

Romania
    Lab power supply set to 4.2 v conected to cut from dead batery cable + 10k resistor betwen battery detect grey wire and gnd, when is properly off moded or no moded no power draw, power off from horizon with core in v2 normal switch aprox 0.003 , power off from horizon os ,v2 sw with no core, nand clip on mb, flex still on tegra no power draw.
    V1 with core probably power off corectly didn't test yet, this all i tested lets say i simulated a battery.

I asume 3.3 rail stays on , i hope this helps, for my is case close , my customer now is happy and i now what to tell to the next one if he/she prefer to keep the sw powered off instead off sleep mode.
    Maybe I was to harsh, the core works nice ignoring this litle problem.

"Say Hello to My Little Friend" :)

15967654459921109785080.jpg

Last edited by Modificatorul, Aug 7, 2020
    LiveMChief, Emeraldu and hartleyshc like this.
  4. json

json MUSCLEMAN

Burkina Faso
    It looks like a software issue. Here's to hoping it gets fixed!

5. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    the switch has always lost battery power even when turned off, its nothing to do with the chip, its cheap shitty hardware, its nintendo

6. json

json MUSCLEMAN

Burkina Faso
    I've compared the current draw on a Lite with SX Lite installed vs without SX Lite installed, scoping the voltage drop with a 0.25 ohm resistor in series on the battery positive rail. Used latest SXOS 3.0.4 with latest SX Lite firmware.

Selecting "Power off" from the Nintendo OS menu and then waiting a few seconds gives the same current draw of nothing for both modded and unmodded Lite. So it looks there's not really a battery drain issue using SXOS on a SX Lite.

So I'm not seeing any issue here

hartleyshc likes this.
  7. Emeraldu

OP Emeraldu Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Romania
    deleted my post - will let the pros figure it out

Last edited by Emeraldu, Aug 13, 2020
  8. 3DSDSXL

3DSDSXL GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I also notice bigger battery drains with switch lite compared to my switch Mariko in standby switch lite drains quite a lot powered off drains too but a lot less.

9. squee666
    This message by squee666 has been removed from public view by shaunj66, Sep 7, 2020, Reason: At request of Nintendo.
    Aug 14, 2020
  10. Modificatorul

Romania
    1.jpg Finaly i have something to show dummy battery test on lite.
    Sx core and sx lite ar perfect but sx os has a bug ? i'm not a programer, i'm not a pro, see video.
    When my crap power supply is showing 3ma is no drow,6ma is drowing i will not buy expensive power supply to show perfect values.
    You will see the geniune boot power off corectly.
    Thank you tx and i hope i didn't create to much truble.
    People with foulty switch or foulty battery ignore this thread.
    So you can use geniune boot for now and then from ofw you can power off completly, if for some resson you don't whant to use sleep mode like most of the users.

Last edited by Modificatorul, Aug 15, 2020
    susi91 likes this.
  11. json

json MUSCLEMAN

Burkina Faso
    What resistor value are you using? And what does your circuit schematic look like for measuring the current draw?

12. Modificatorul

Romania
    7.6kohm between bat detect test point and gnd( to full bq ic he has a battery) , vcc from batery test point to lab power supply and gnd from power suply conected to gnd on switch, no battery connected, power supply set in this case to 4.7v not stable on 4.2v.
    I just watch the power supply display, if i boot cfw and power off i see 6ma on display if i power on with geniune boot option and power off from ofw i see 3ma on display , my power suply shows 3ma with nothing conected.
    So i considered a 3ma drow if you power off from cfw.

Is not a big deal.

This thread made me so mad and instead off thanking tx i used harsh words, users started to think i replaced the batery, or the install is wrong, and so on.

My test is wrong ?

I dind't tell him about power off after geniune ofw boot yet.
    Emeraldu say if is powering off his mariko sx core force shotdown down or the fix he found after 2 days the procentage don't go to 93% from 100% but ofcourse i don't trust what the horizon displays, but i seems happy now with what horizon displays.

Last edited by Modificatorul, Aug 20, 2020
    susi91 likes this.
  13. json

json MUSCLEMAN

Burkina Faso
    I don't think your test is wrong. Just not been able to reproduce it. The 3mA current draw is pretty small, so it might be getting lost in the noise floor in my test setup. I'll try a setup similar to yours to test

14. json

json MUSCLEMAN

Burkina Faso
    OK, some new evidence that supports your test:

Booted with SXOS cfw button, select Power Off from Nintendo OS: the eMMC CMD shows 68mV
    Booted with SXOS genuine boot button, select Power Off from Nintendo OS: eMMC CMD shows ~0mV

So there is a difference, confirmed

15. MomZo

MomZo Advanced Member
    Newcomer

France
    You shall contact TX responsibles with your evidence and your test procedure so they can fix it in a future SX OS version.

16. Modificatorul

Romania
    Emeraldu reported already, i reported now via contact form to tehnical departament, the video is not clear enough to see what i press on screen so i deleted, but i will try to make a better one if is needed.

Thank you @Jason for confirmation and info.

So for now if you want true power off , power on again,press vol + go to sx core menu ,geniune boot, and power off from ofw, next boot will take more time.

Last edited by Modificatorul, Aug 17, 2020
  17. NO_sauce

NO_sauce Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Correct. The best practice for Li-Ion batteries is to drain to 20% and charge to 80%. That will give you the longest lifespan. It's also important to use slow chargers whenever possible. Fast charging creates heat and wears down the cells as well.

It's hard to maintain this with something like a Switch. I have a portable battery and I use that to keep it from dropping below 20%. The dock uses a fast charger, so if I plan on charging overnight, I use a USB C cable on a slow charger with the proper ratings.

18. MomZo

MomZo Advanced Member
    Newcomer

France
    According to Team Xecuter, the battery drain coming from SX Core/Lite modchips is now fixed with SX OS v3.0.5:

Anybody here wants to confirm by formal test that the battery drain is really fixed?

olive069 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Battery, drain,