Hardware Switch screen is black after fan repair

The_Doge_Gamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a v1 switch but I noticed a issue with the fan so I replaced it. Ever since then the display is black with no backlight. I read up on lathe cables I needed to check and I tried pulling them out of there connector and putting them back in to fix my issue but that didn’t work. I’m stumped as I don’t know what the solution could be to my problem. On top of that one of the hinges you flip up to remove the cable came off so I’m not sure if the switch is done for. It works fine in docked mode but obviously I shouldn’t disregard this issue and it really sucks as just when I get my hands on a v1 switch it’s now possibly dead.

Here are some images to see if maybe my cables are inserted incorrectly:
image.jpg
image.jpgthe Cable where the white hinge came off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

The_Doge_Gamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you think that could be the problem? If so how would I go about cleaning it? Would I clean it the same as when reapplying thermal paste?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you think that could be the problem? If so how would I go about cleaning it? Would I clean it the same as when reapplying thermal paste?

You should clean it up with 99% isopropyl alcohol, it is possible reason why your switch isn't turning on, there is not suppose to be thermal paste over there, changing the fan doesn't requires unplugging the screen.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It can be so simple since you changed the fan that your emmc have been knocked out of it's socket. Therefore it boots to a blackscreen.

The_Doge_Gamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should clean it up with 99% isopropyl alcohol, it is possible reason why your switch isn't turning on, there is not suppose to be thermal paste over there, changing the fan doesn't requires unplugging the screen.
My switch turns on and works in docked but the actual display that is mounted on the switch does not work. I never messed with the screen cables when replacing the fan so I’m not sure what the issue is.
Post automatically merged:

It can be so simple since you changed the fan that your emmc have been knocked out of it's socket. Therefore it boots to a blackscreen.
How would I know if it is out of its socket? How would I go about reinserting it back into the socket?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My switch turns on and works in docked but the actual display that is mounted on the switch does not work. I never messed with the screen cables when replacing the fan so I’m not sure what the issue is.

How would I know if it is out of its socket? How would I go about reinserting it back into the socket?

Did you disconnect the lcd ribbon when replacing the fan? I don't see the need to unplug the lcd cable so reseat the ribbon cable. Also your picture are so dark.

1699138096523.png

The_Doge_Gamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, prior to this post I’ve been reading trying to figure out the solution as to why my screen has been black. I checked and one possible reason was because the cables were loose so I tried to reseat them to no avail. The one cable you’re looking at is the one where the white hinge came off which I’m not sure I how bad that is.

Did you disconnect the lcd ribbon when replacing the fan? I don't see the need to unplug the lcd cable so reseat the ribbon cable. Also your picture are so dark.

View attachment 402797
Here’s a better lighted picture:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, prior to this post I’ve been reading trying to figure out the solution as to why my screen has been black. I checked and one possible reason was because the cables were loose so I tried to reseat them to no avail. The one cable you’re looking at is the one where the white hinge came off which I’m not sure I how bad that is.

Sound like it is something else if you attempted to turn it on with the thermal paste in area it not suppose to be at, you might have damaged some components affecting display on the LCD screen.

The_Doge_Gamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sound like it is something else if you attempted to turn it on with the thermal paste in area it not suppose to be at, you might have damaged some components affecting display on the LCD screen.
I used the switch a little bit prior to the fan replacement and had no issues besides the fan. Do you know what areas of my switch should I check to see if I damaged something?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the switch a little bit prior to the fan replacement and had no issues besides the fan. Do you know what areas of my switch should I check to see if I damaged something?

That I have no idea which exact components, since you had thermal paste over the emmc that one bad sign, is there paste over other components when there not supposed to be thermal paste.

When you turn it on the first time after replacing the fan and it displays nothing on screens and you didn't touch the lcd ribbon cable and have thermal paste over other components, that possible reason it is causing problems.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
are you talking about the wide copper ribbon cable in my pictures? If so the hinge came off so I think it could be a little loose right now.
The white hinge? Well there is your problem mate. It needs to be "pushed down" on the pins inside the connector to make a connection.

Reactions: BigOnYa

The_Doge_Gamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The white hinge? Well there is your problem mate. It needs to be "pushed down" on the pins inside the connector to make a connection.
yes, the white hinge even prior to it coming off I was having the issue but I don't know if it was the cables or something else? I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to get it back on unless it snaps back on?

Did you broke the white hinge?
yes, after I turned it back on after the fan replacement. I went back in to diagnose the problem and accidentally took the hinge off.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
yes, the white hinge even prior to it coming off I was having the issue but I don't know if it was the cables or something else? I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to get it back on unless it snaps back on?
Well, find it and try your best. The cable have to be inserted in that slot and locked down. It's the LCD Ribbon cable.

Else it needs to be exchanged as in removed from the board and a new one soldered down.

The_Doge_Gamer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, find it and try your best. The cable have to be inserted in that slot and locked down. It's the LCD Ribbon cable.

Else it needs to be exchanged as in removed from the board and a new one soldered down.
I still have the hinge with me, a tiny part of the hing broke off and I think its on the floor somewhere I would have to look

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto