Hardware Switch not charging

Gaster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Alright iknow this is something you have probably seen a million times but i have problems and i need somewhere where i can actually get feedback. So 3 moths ago my Switch suddenly stopped charging. I was using it to make some backups in Hekate when i tried to charge it. however when i plugged it into a wall socket it just didnt charge. I tried multiple chargers nothing. Something to add which seemed very important last time i asked this: i havent been using the official nintendo charger as i was not aware that this could fry switch internals.
I do not have tools such a multimeter and was wondering if there is anyway to see what causes my issue. if needed i could try to open it and get some pictures.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Alright iknow this is something you have probably seen a million times but i have problems and i need somewhere where i can actually get feedback. So 3 moths ago my Switch suddenly stopped charging. I was using it to make some backups in Hekate when i tried to charge it. however when i plugged it into a wall socket it just didnt charge. I tried multiple chargers nothing. Something to add which seemed very important last time i asked this: i havent been using the official nintendo charger as i was not aware that this could fry switch internals.
I do not have tools such a multimeter and was wondering if there is anyway to see what causes my issue. if needed i could try to open it and get some pictures.
Get a cheap multimeter for 10 bucks. They get the job done and are very useful to have.

Gaster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so i just found out we do actually have a multimeter however we do NOT have a Triwing Screwdriver. Anything else i can use to open it or do i have to buy a triwing screwdriver for that?

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
so i just found out we do actually have a multimeter however we do NOT have a Triwing Screwdriver. Anything else i can use to open it or do i have to buy a triwing screwdriver for that?

You need one, the 80% of screws of the outside are Triwing.

When you open the switch, check first the USB C port, if it's OK the most common fault are on charging IC chip, you should check if the closest capacitors are shorted, if yes, you need to replace the IC.

I give to you a nice video about Switch repair, he fix 20 Switches on 3 videos:

MarioTheGreat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just so you know, I use non official chargers (mostly the one from my Oneplus phone) and have no problems with charging.
But I am curious what you find.

Reactions: Gaster

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
could also be the battery itself and trickle charge would bring it back to life. if u have a second switch/battery would help with elimination

what charges have u used since there are ones that kill a certain chip that deals with power delivery

Last edited by pcwizard7,

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i used generic samsung USB-C cables.

if its the charger as well? that's a 9v and will charge it slowly if the switch is off I think i might be think of time with a 12v device? the official charger 19v and will charge faster and while the switch is running as well

5v will not charge at all

Last edited by pcwizard7,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You can use a very small flathead.
It should fit in the groove like this and grip securely:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4p624k7d03ge3a/triwing.jpg?dl=0
triwing.jpg

I used that method on the JoyCons and it didn't damage the screws, but YMMV. Just make sure the screwdriver you use fits perfectly without any slack.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
i tried multiple chargers including the Dock. The Dock had the green blinking light of death and all chargers did nothing.

if your not in the operating system the dock will give you the green blinking of death light anyways. plug the power adapter you have for the dock into the switch directly

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2