Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Gasket

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Full n00b question for you guys, bit difficult to catch up on all the nuances for the various homebrew / FW revisions.

Haven't touched the switch in a long time and had lent it to a relative. Decided I'd now like to play through the BOTW DLC. Fired up the switch and found out that apparently BOTW only has one save file and my save has been overwritten.

Basically, all I want to do is to load a 100% (non-dlc) BOTW save file and then return my switch back to factory. Is this possible currently (once things are stable with FW 11)? And if so, what's the easiest way to go about it? My switch is un-patched (XAW40000xxxxxx).

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Full n00b question for you guys, bit difficult to catch up on all the nuances for the various homebrew / FW revisions.

Haven't touched the switch in a long time and had lent it to a relative. Decided I'd now like to play through the BOTW DLC. Fired up the switch and found out that apparently BOTW only has one save file and my save has been overwritten.

Basically, all I want to do is to load a 100% (non-dlc) BOTW save file and then return my switch back to factory. Is this possible currently (once things are stable with FW 11)? And if so, what's the easiest way to go about it? My switch is un-patched (XAW40000xxxxxx).
First thing you would do after successfully hacking the console is to backup the eMMC. Hekate is by far the best tool for the job and you will be using it for many other things such as also restoring the eMMC. The reason you are backing it up is twofold; the backup you are making is going to be clean and devoid of any CFW/homebrew so this way, the console will not get banned after hacking. The other reason is that having an eMMC backup assures that if your console somehow gets bricked, you have a fallback. After that, its as simple as loading CFW and any save manager homebrew to load the save file. You can follow any number of non-video based guides to accomplish this. The one I recommend is this one.

Reactions: Gasket and ca032769

Al3Drk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my controller config resets and disappears after each time I reboot to payload. this happened after I updated to ATM 16 and I'm on Emunand firmware 11. can someone help me figure this out? thanks.

Kadin

Ain't no rest for the wicked...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My system seems to hang somewhat often after I've done anything in the HBL. Once I press Home to exit and start up something else, it seems like 50% of the time it will just go to a black screen and then I need to hard reboot via RCM. On the 0.16 version of Atmosphere using either hekate or fusee-primary. Does this happen for all or is there something I should check to fix this from happening as often as it does?

Last edited by Kadin,

Alacres

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't recommend updating yet as the latest firmware is 11.0 and it is still a bit unstable for CFW/homebrew. The guide also recommends you to download a title because you can use that title to launch the homebrew menu with more RAM (it will make more sense once you're using homebrew apps). You don't necessarily need it as you can achieve the same effect with a cartridge or by installing the homebrew menu as a .NSP file. If you want to download a title, I would recommend doing it before setting up emuMMC so that way it carries over to emuMMC. Lastly, some people think that Nintendo scans the SD card which is a load of malarkey because not only is that potentially illegal due to privacy violations but it is not enough evidence to claim that someone is hacking as that SD card can be used for many reasons.

Ahh okay. Is there a recommended version I should update to? And if so, how do I go about doing that manually? The firmware on this thing is really low as it was never used from around launch.

Also, I like the sound of installing the menu as a .NSP file. That's the same file type that the games use, right? It'd be cool to have a homebrew icon right on the front page so I can just launch it right from there, rather than using some random game to do it.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll try going with the guide you recommended to someone else -- https://switch.homebrew.guide/. Seems more in-depth than the one I was using.

Rugar_Pastrana

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I just have an easy question.

I got my sysnand on 11.0, and the eMMC in 10.4, but I have AutoRCM.

I read somewhere that you must disable AutoRCM beforeupdating the sysnand, Is that really necesary? What happens if you update the sysnand via internet with AutoRCM on? I want to update sysnand only, just to play online.

xividi

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
okay, i have pre patched serial number switch and 9.0.1 firmware. I always used only original firmware never played with cfw or anything, now as Im looking forward to selling switch to my friend who might load cfw and stuff. Im wondering what firmware versions can be jailbroken and is it safe for me to update it?

Lavaimp

☆ミ
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If https://ismyswitchpatched.com says your console is not patched then it doesn't matter what version of FW it is running (bar possible issues with the very latest v11) - you should still be able to get it to boot into rcm.

Make sure you insert the jig fully into the right hand side of the console, hold the volume+ up button down and press the power button. If you just see a black screen (and you don't see the Switch logo) then the console is in RCM.
FORTUNATELY yes, it isn't patched.
i'm realizing that it's possible the rcm jigs i bought weren't fitting right then, or I, er... may have stupidly put it in the left side instead of the right. Either way, I seem to have misplaced the ones I have.

... where would be the best place to get one that'd work?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh okay. Is there a recommended version I should update to? And if so, how do I go about doing that manually? The firmware on this thing is really low as it was never used from around launch.

Also, I like the sound of installing the menu as a .NSP file. That's the same file type that the games use, right? It'd be cool to have a homebrew icon right on the front page so I can just launch it right from there, rather than using some random game to do it.

Thanks for the help. I think I'll try going with the guide you recommended to someone else -- https://switch.homebrew.guide/. Seems more in-depth than the one I was using.
You can use the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX to update your firmware manually. And yes, .NSP files are the same types used for digital games as well as updates and DLC.

I just have an easy question.

I got my sysnand on 11.0, and the eMMC in 10.4, but I have AutoRCM.

I read somewhere that you must disable AutoRCM beforeupdating the sysnand, Is that really necesary? What happens if you update the sysnand via internet with AutoRCM on? I want to update sysnand only, just to play online.
I don't know where you read such a thing but you don't have to disable AutoRCM before updating sysMMC. In fact, system updates typically remove AutoRCM so its actually more of an unnecessary step. The only possible reason I can think of is that some people believe AutoRCM can get you banned but ever since its release, no one has ever been banned for using AutoRCM alone. That may change but it seems highly unlikely at this point. I should also mention that if you want to prevent fuses from being burnt, you will need to update in CFW to prevent AutoRCM from being removed.

okay, i have pre patched serial number switch and 9.0.1 firmware. I always used only original firmware never played with cfw or anything, now as Im looking forward to selling switch to my friend who might load cfw and stuff. Im wondering what firmware versions can be jailbroken and is it safe for me to update it?
If the console is not patched, then the firmware is irrelevant. And while you can technically load CFW/homebrew on the latest firmware, things are a bit unstable so I recommend not updating to the latest firmware just yet.

Reactions: Alacres

E30Nova

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, got a kinda weird question for ya.

So I let my kids play on my switch lately and I made it abundantly clear, don't hit the update button.

I believe I was on 10.2.

Well, while I was gone, one of them accidentally hit the update button and was super upset about it.

I figured, no big deal, there's already a pre-release atmosphere version for the latest firmware, so I'll just update and everything will be fine.

Well, for some reason, all my cartridges no longer work.

I've tried adding "nogc = 0" to the BCT file (without quotes), but still, carts won't load.

All I get is a message saying:

"Unable to start software.
Return to the HOME Menu and try again."

I've googled and everyone says sigpatches need to be updated, but I did that and still nothing.

I'd like to be able to play the games I actually bought, but if I have to, I guess I can just buy a bigger SD card and install the games, but that's a last resort.

Any ideas?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my controller config resets and disappears after each time I reboot to payload. this happened after I updated to ATM 16 and I'm on Emunand firmware 11. can someone help me figure this out? thanks.
What exactly do you mean by your controller config resets?

FORTUNATELY yes, it isn't patched.
i'm realizing that it's possible the rcm jigs i bought weren't fitting right then, or I, er... may have stupidly put it in the left side instead of the right. Either way, I seem to have misplaced the ones I have.

... where would be the best place to get one that'd work?
You can order one off of AliExpress or eBay. Alternatively, you can just use something conductive to enter RCM like a paperclip or aluminum foil. Either way, its recommended to enable AutoRCM so that way you don't need to manually enter RCM ever again.

Hey guys, got a kinda weird question for ya.

So I let my kids play on my switch lately and I made it abundantly clear, don't hit the update button.

I believe I was on 10.2.

Well, while I was gone, one of them accidentally hit the update button and was super upset about it.

I figured, no big deal, there's already a pre-release atmosphere version for the latest firmware, so I'll just update and everything will be fine.

Well, for some reason, all my cartridges no longer work.

I've tried adding "nogc = 0" to the BCT file (without quotes), but still, carts won't load.

All I get is a message saying:

"Unable to start software.
Return to the HOME Menu and try again."

I've googled and everyone says sigpatches need to be updated, but I did that and still nothing.

I'd like to be able to play the games I actually bought, but if I have to, I guess I can just buy a bigger SD card and install the games, but that's a last resort.

Any ideas?
How do you boot into Atmosphere? Is it with Hekate or fusee?

Reactions: E30Nova and Al3Drk

Al3Drk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exactly do you mean by your controller config resets?
You see in the settings under controller settings there is this option to bind keys right? After I set my configuration and save it and reboot to payload the configuration profile will be gone

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You see in the settings under controller settings there is this option to bind keys right? After I set my configuration and save it and reboot to payload the configuration profile will be gone
Unfortunately I have neither used this option nor have I updated my console to firmware 11.0 so I am not sure how I can help. Its possible that because Atmosphere is operating as a pre-release that it is a bug of the CFW itself but I have not seen anyone else complain about this issue. It might be worth either making your own thread here on the forum or filing a bug report on the Atmosphere GitHub page.

Reactions: Al3Drk

Lavaimp

☆ミ
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Ok so new issue. I THINK I got the jig I made working bc when i hold power & vol up it seems to not "start", but the new issue is the fact my computer seems to not detect the switch at all

the switch can still boot normally if I only hold the power button, but i'm unsure if i need to restart after installing the drivers or what.
I've tried two different cords, neither of which seemed to detect.

Is there a duration I have to hold down the power and volume up for? I've been holding it for 12 seconds but if I actually just need to "press" it like i guess that flew right over my head.

Kadin

Ain't no rest for the wicked...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so new issue. I THINK I got the jig I made working bc when i hold power & vol up it seems to not "start", but the new issue is the fact my computer seems to not detect the switch at all

the switch can still boot normally if I only hold the power button, but i'm unsure if i need to restart after installing the drivers or what.
I've tried two different cords, neither of which seemed to detect.

Is there a duration I have to hold down the power and volume up for? I've been holding it for 12 seconds but if I actually just need to "press" it like i guess that flew right over my head.
All I need to do to get into RCM where I can load a payload is while it's powered down, simply hold Vol Up and then tap Power. Then let go of both. That's it. Doing this will then allow me to then plug in the USB cable at which time my PC will do the normal sound that something has been plugged in and then I can start up the TegraRCMGui app and load a payload. So basically I don't ever hold both buttons, just hold the volume and tap power. Done. I used this step in this guide and had no issues with the PC detecting it at this stage.

Edit: Do make note of the part in the guide I linked about going into Settings of the TegraRCMGui app to install the drivers. This might be what you need to do specifically so that your computer recognizes it. Good luck!

Last edited by Kadin,

Tanubi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, might be a stupid question to ask but I am still new to this by maybe a week. I want to use some online capabilities with emummc setup. I have it running and of course the regular stock. The question is, can I use online for both the stock nand and the Emu? Stock to play bought games online and Emu to run the homebrew with online features?

I know there are things like incognito and apparently exosphere but I wasn't sure if it would be okay to connect stock to the internet, turn off and then boot up into emu and connect there and just turn off and switch back and forth between the two after that.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going to sell my switch, how do I go about removing my profile? Just hard reset of settings?
Essentially.

Hey, might be a stupid question to ask but I am still new to this by maybe a week. I want to use some online capabilities with emummc setup. I have it running and of course the regular stock. The question is, can I use online for both the stock nand and the Emu? Stock to play bought games online and Emu to run the homebrew with online features?

I know there are things like incognito and apparently exosphere but I wasn't sure if it would be okay to connect stock to the internet, turn off and then boot up into emu and connect there and just turn off and switch back and forth between the two after that.
Assuming you're going to use something like 90DNS or PRODINFO blanking via exosphere, then it is fine to access the Internet in emuMMC as those two block connections to Nintendo's servers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.