SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    If you boot with hekate, you need to disable autonogc in the hekate settings.

XaneTenshi likes this.
  2. XaneTenshi

XaneTenshi GBAtemp Fan

Nov 24, 2013
    Denmark
    Finally!!! This did the trick. Can't believe that was all it took. I guess the solution I was trying to use only works for Atmosphere and not stock FW then? Damnit lol, all in all, this took well over 3 hours...

Thanks

pLaYeR^^ likes this.
  3. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    Hekate doesn’t use BCT.ini but the hekate ipl ini. BCT.ini is used by fusee primary.

4. Hesham

Hesham Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2019
    Egypt
    Hello and good day, I have a switch it was 8.1.0 firmware, i updated yesterday to 9.0.0 and used the latest version of kosmos and atmosphere. Unfortunately I couldnt install any nsps at all. So i tried rolling back to 8.1.0 using this video guide: unfortunately my switch after turning it on again in rcm then launching sysnand the atmosphere logo shows up then the nintendo logo then it freezes for a bit then it gives me a huge error message, i tried using my nand backup today and then rebooting the switch does the same thing and gives me an error message, the error message is attached as a picture to this post. please help is my switch bricked or is there hope? It only starts up into rcm mode with hekate or whichever payload I use but it doesnt boot properly to my main menu. 69990463_3457465377600511_6824406723550248960_n.

5. Gizmo2k

Gizmo2k Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2019
    United States
    If it’s getting you to the boot logo it’s gotta be something like a theme you had installed or something you have to delete to get past it or even background services, becauss I just literally downgraded with that same tutorial from9.0.0 sysnand to 8.1.0 so I could use emunand again and it went smooth first try no backup needed

6. mIRChele

mIRChele Member

Newcomer
    Nov 4, 2016
    Italy
    I'm going to hack my hackable switch soon, I've ordered a decent 256gb microsd. I have a few questions:
    -is fat32 really more stable than exfat or it's just a rumor?
    -can I use the same microsd for both emunand and sysnand without having issues? Note that I want to go online with the sysnand.

Thanks!

Inviato dal mio SM-G960F utilizzando Tapatalk

7. Gizmo2k

Gizmo2k Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2019
    United States
    Fat 32 is more secure yes but I use exfat always and never have problems plus I prefer it because I don’t have to split files into 4gb increments like fat 32 will have you doing or usb installs is the other route (computer to console install for fat32)

Second yes you can have emunand on the SD and boot normal os when you please and the filesystems remain separate from eachother so what you do on one won’t show on the other , I have sxos + atmosphere on one sd (atmosphere for edizon use), and the other sd card I have is just emunand and clean sysnand

8. Chupa

Chupa Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2010
    Brazil
    Ok so, Just bought a "hackable"Switch and I have been reading around the forum for a couple of days...

Got SX OS Pro..... finished backing up my Virgin NAND with SX OS bootloader and now I'm ready to hack..

My OFW is currently 4.1.0, so I know I won't be able to play many games with it...

Question: Is there a way (and is it the best way?) to keep my OFW on 4.1.0 and let's say, install EmuNAND on 8.1.0 to be able to play newer gamer?

or,

EmuNAND won't accept a newer firmware than the OFW from the device??

if not, should I use ChoiDujourNX to install 8.1.0 since 9.0.0 is non hackable yet and then install EmuNAND also in 8.1.0?

and lastly, should I go up to 8.1.0 or is there a better FW a long the way that I should update and stay at??

Details: Trying not to get banned so quickly, will be playing mostly offline on EmuNAND, want to play some switch games, and some emulators.

Sorry for the long post.... If anyone can help I appreciate, thanks..

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Well what firmware did you update and what version is your CFW?

The main purpose of EmuNAND is to load higher firmware versions than your system. Of course, you can only load as high a firmware version as the CFW you are booting supports. In the case of SX OS, that is firmware 8.1 but Atmosphere (which is a free alternative) currently supports up to firmware 9.0. Regardless of which CFW you choose, I recommend updating to firmware 8.1. And ChoiDujourNX is the perfect way to update your EmuNAND to that firmware.

3dswitch and Chupa like this.
  10. Chupa

Chupa Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2010
    Brazil
    Ok, fist of all, thank you so much for such a quick response, you guys rock :bow:

Since I never played Switch before I'll stick with SX OS 8.1 for now, I know there will be plenty of games for me to enjoy.

So as a next step clarification:

-It's fine to leave my OFW on 4.1.0 since I won't be using it that much now anyways.
    -Install EmuNAND and then use ChoiDujourNX to update it to 8.1.0 so I can enjoy all the cool games that will support it.

Now the last question that should answer all my doubts:

Should I try to use ChoiDujourNX to also update sysnand to 8.1.0 when I have some spare time or maybe that could flag Nintendo since I'll be doing it offline and then when I go online crap can happen??

or,

Maybe I should just play my cool 8.1.0 emunand games offline untill SX OS releases a full integration with 9.0.0 so I can go ahead and update my OFW normally in Switch's system and then update emunand, etc, later?

11. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Well that depends if you don't mind using SX Pro to boot your CFW forever or if you want to have the chance to boot CFW in other ways in the future. See the Nintendo Switch has these things called fuses and some of these are used to prevent downgrading. When your console normally installs a system update and reboots. When the console's stock bootloader detects you are running a firmware higher than your current fuse count, it burns fuses until they match. And in order to prevent your console from downgrading, the stock bootloader will not allow you to boot a firmware lower than the current fuse count. So in order to prevent fuses from being burnt, we install firmware files and AutoRCM where AutoRCM prevents us from using the stock bootloader. This is how ChoiDujourNX works in order to update your firmware without burning fuses. However as you said, it may flag your console for a ban since it requires the usage of CFW & homebrew. But there are other ways of updating your firmware without burning fuses.

The first method involves updating the console with AutoRCM enabled while running CFW. You may have asked, "If AutoRCM can be used to prevent fuses from being burnt, why not just update with AutoRCM already enabled?" The reason that is not possible is because system updates normally remove AutoRCM. However free CFW can prevent this. This is not a feature of SX OS and may never come to the CFW much like the other features of free CFW such as overclocking and external sysmodule loading. Anyway, installing a system update with AutoRCM enabled while running a free CFW will not remove AutoRCM thus preventing your fuses from being burnt. But this still requires the usage of CFW which means it still has a chance to ban your console. There is one more method of updating without burning fuses.

The last way involves manually applying AutoRCM after the system installs the system update. There is technically a way to prevent the stock bootloader from burning fuses without CFW and that involves putting the console into RCM before it has the chance. This is the safest method in terms of a ban since RCM and AutoRCM are next to undetectable but it is also the most dangerous as failing to boot into RCM will burn your fuses. If you wish to try this method, I recommend following this guide.

Or if you do not care about other exploits and are content with using SX Pro until time immemorial, then you can just ignore the walls of text above and just update to 9.0 normally once SX OS supports that firmware.

Sullie Lore, 3dswitch and Chupa like this.
  12. Chupa

Chupa Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2010
    Brazil
    Thanks again for the quick (and thorough) response. I don't know how you type that fast:O..

So, yeah I don't really care for other exploits that much, if SX OS can get me the right amount of games and emulators that's all need from my hacking.

I had actually rad your discussions around the forum about burning fuse's and what not and you just refreshed my memory about the process of doing the RCM at the right exact time to prevent the fuse burning but I'm too much of a sloppy guy when it comes to dealing with this type of stuff (it actually took me 5min to fit the SX jig on my Switch cuz I was trying to slide it in on the wrong side :hateit:lol)

With that being said, I think I'm on the right track then... Emunand is being created here (40% right now), while that installs I'm getting everything ready for updating it with ChoiDujourNX and then from there I'll be enjoying my fare share of gaming and emus for a while:gba:

So, last NOOB question if you may be kind to answer:

- I actually installed SX OS 2.5.3 because I'm usually scared of beta realeases and I'm having a hard time finding what is the latest ChoiDujourNX update it can support. Some sites say 6.2, others say 7.0. Which one is it?

or,

-Should I trust the 2.8 beta version of SX OS and rebuild my EmuNAND on it so I can use ChoiDujourNX to update to 8.1 and not worry too much about what games I can or cannot play since it will be a much more newer FW???

and thanks again for being so helpful.

13. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    For all intents and purposes, assume ChoiDujourNX supports all firmware versions. There is a tool with a similar name by the name of ChoiDujour which only supports up to firmware 6.1. As for your other question, the beta tag is just an excuse for them to not take responsibility for any bugs users encounter. You can easily encounter bugs on the stable versions and several users still experience those without using the beta.

Chupa likes this.
  14. Chupa

Chupa Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2010
    Brazil

Ok, cool...

I kind of knew that ChoiDujourNX supported all firmwares but I thought that SX OS on a certain (older) version wouldn't accept an update of a certain (newer) FW from ChoiDujourNX update... I guess I was wrong..

I think I get it know, let's see if this makes sense. I can keep using SX OS 2.5.3 because my OFW is 4.1.0 so it runs OK, then I can use ChoiDujourNX to update my EmuNAND to 8.1.0 since it supports all versions and then I'm good to go???

"if feels that I'm getting so close to have my perfect gaming machine here... this is awesome haha!!!"

EDIT: It's never that easy right? :cry::cry:

So,
    - finished installing EmuNAND, loaded and it was fine..then
    - got ChoiDujourNX and updated EmuNAND to 8.1.0
    - Now CFW only boots to a black screen :sad:

What did I do wrong?? or maybe I was right and SX OS 2.5.3 does not support EmuNAND running 8.1.0???

Last edited by Chupa, Sep 19, 2019
  15. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    This is why the beta line is stupid. Version 2.5.3 only supports up to firmware 6.2. The only way to boot higher firmware versions with SX OS is with the betas

Chupa likes this.
  16. Chupa

Chupa Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2010
    Brazil
    Ow, crap, I understand.. I tried to ask you that but I think I stated my question wrongly (sorry english is not my native language)

now, since I can't boot into CFW I guess I need to boot into SX OS menu, delete emunand, update SX OS to 2.8 beta, redo de emunand process and then use ChoiDujourNX update 8.1.0 right?

or is there a faster route to this?

EDIT: if I just leave everything as is and update the SX OS files from the 2.5.3 version to the 2.8 beta will it work?

EDIT 2: It works, the short route.... just swapped boot.dat files from 2.5.3 to 2.8 and it booted by EmuNAND on 8.1.0 now!!!

YEEEAAHHH mission accomplished

Last edited by Chupa, Sep 19, 2019
  17. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Yes, you can just update your version of SX OS to the latest version.

Chupa likes this.
  18. Chupa

Chupa Member

Newcomer
    Aug 17, 2010
    Brazil
    I aaaaalmost beat you to it this time man haha... but I guess we posted at the same exact time!!

thank you so so soooo much for your help tonight... gonna try to load some XCIs now and see how it goes....

again, you guys rock! :bow:

3dswitch, Gizmo2k and Draxzelex like this.
  19. Mogiie

Mogiie Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2018
    Greece
    what happens if I update with ChoiDujourNX from 5.1 to 8.1 and one time I forget to go to RCM and inject the payload (my switch doesn't have internet access) ?

thanks

20. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    You can't inject a payload if you are not in RCM.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted