Austria
Reactions: RitchieRitchie

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thanks for the link but that is a bit too complicated for me!
Afaik that's the only method for now. With FAT32 you have the problem that one file has a maximum size of 4GB and the NAND backup would be 32GB. You could format your micro sd card to FAT32 but you would still have the file size issue. Maybe we'll find a better solution later on.

Bocchuoi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
How do i know I'm in rcm mode?
I pressed volume+ and power button and nothing happened. After that i pressed the power button and the switch booted normally.

HoTsHoTz79

GIC-Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How do i know I'm in rcm mode?
I pressed volume+ and power button and nothing happened. After that i pressed the power button and the switch booted normally.

If using Windows... TegraRCMGUI is good for that, because it changes from Red to Green colored Switch icon

If you just wanna know without anything, simply do your RCM mode and then click the power button once... if it goes into normal boot, then you were not in RCM mode
If you were in RCM mode and you press Power button once, it shouldn't do anything, unless you hold power button for 12 seconds, then it shuts down, then you click power once and it will go into normal boot

P4wn4g3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to update specifically to 4.1.0, I would recommend you to buy a physical game because then it's easier to estimate the required firmware version. Generally game cards with 002 on it needs at least 4.0.1. For a list of games with their required firmware version look here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/list-games-required-firmware-version.485959/
I'm on 4.1.0 and I own Kirby which I'm fairly certain is 4.1.0. The reason I ask is the linked guide https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-exfat-driver-without-updating-2-x.505176/ says to match your system firmware with the game's update/firmware requirements. So I assume a version under 4.1.0 wouldn't work.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Bocchuoi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
If using Windows... TegraRCMGUI is good for that, because it changes from Red to Green colored Switch icon

If you just wanna know without anything, simply do your RCM mode and then click the power button once... if it goes into normal boot, then you were not in RCM mode
If you were in RCM mode and you press Power button once, it shouldn't do anything, unless you hold power button for 12 seconds, then it shuts down, then you click power once and it will go into normal boot
I don't have a computer to check but from what you describe i think i was in rcm mode :D
Thanks for the answer.

HoTsHoTz79

GIC-Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the link but that is a bit too complicated for me!
I agree, it does look complicated.. I read it multiple times and i still messed up my NAND and my switch was only going into BLUE screen. But i tried again and it worked perfectly fine (im on 4.1.0 and now have exFat installed on stock)

Basically what you are doing is
  • Backup your NAND, extract 1 file from it
  • Update that extracted file with exFat drivers
  • Injected that updated file back to your NAND
When you boot up your switch, it will read your NAND and see that you now have the exFat drivers

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm on 4.1.0 and I own Kirby which I'm fairly certain is 4.1.0. The reason I ask is the linked guide https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-exfat-driver-without-updating-2-x.505176/ says to match your system firmware with the game's update/firmware requirements. So I assume a version under 4.1.0 wouldn't work.

Just FYI, I am on 4.1.0 and i messed up my NAND the first time, I used Wonder Boy (from google) and my switch was giving me Blue Screen, i went into RCM mode and restored the corrupted file
Tried again with Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and worked fine.
The reason i didn't use Kirby because on this list, it said "[When installing day 1 update/ patch it needs 5.0.0!] - ^Update 4.1.0 on cartridge^" ... i did'nt understand that and didn't wanna take chances

Last edited by HoTsHoTz79,

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree, it does look complicated.. I read it multiple times and i still messed up my NAND and my switch was only going into BLUE screen. But i tried again and it worked perfectly fine (im on 4.1.0 and now have exFat installed on stock)

Basically what you are doing is
  • Backup your NAND, extract 1 file from it
  • Update that extracted file with exFat drivers
  • Injected that updated file back to your NAND
When you boot up your switch, it will read your NAND and see that you now have the exFat drivers

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just FYI, I am on 4.1.0 and i messed up my NAND the first time, I used Wonder Boy (from google) and my switch was giving me Blue Screen, i went into RCM mode and restored the corrupted file
Tried again with Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and worked fine.
The reason i didn't use Kirby because on this list, it said "[When installing day 1 update/ patch it needs 5.0.0!] - ^Update 4.1.0 on cartridge^" ... i did'nt understand that and didn't wanna take chances
Thanks for the advice but I'll wait until hopefully there is an easier way - total noob so would brick my switch!

coolbird22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Will there ever be an exFat driver for 1.0.0 ? Instead of there being more exploits for 1.0.0, there are more resources for 5.1.0 now.
Don't update 1.0.0 they said. :(

HoTsHoTz79

GIC-Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the advice but I'll wait until hopefully there is an easier way - total noob so would brick my switch!

well the easier way is without touching the NAND, you are supposed to add a line in the .ini file once done
but that didn't work for me... maybe cuz i used the wrong game dump?
Will there ever be an exFat driver for 1.0.0 ? Instead of there being more exploits for 1.0.0, there are more resources for 5.1.0 now.

Extremely Low to Zero chances of that happening.

if you want exFat to load game dumps bigger then 4gb, wait on a Backup Loader that supports split file reading from a FAT32...
otherwise if you plan on getting the SX OS/Pro... i think that already supports split file loading

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its a strange reason why they don't have exFAT support on 1.0. Nintendo is trying to save some money so rather than pre-installing the support, they make users grab it from their online server. Meaning they pay Microsoft per exFAT update versus up-front for every console manufactured. Regardless, exFAT support for 1.0 would have to be implemented via a CFW. Currently, SX OS does have exFAT support but Atmosphere does not. Eventually, I'd imagine they will implement exFAT support since its a CFW designed for all firmwares in mind. And currently, the only real benefit for exFAT is for the backup "swapping" method via LayeredFS which will be replaced by a more backup-oriented method such as a title manager or launcher.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a thought, I updated my switch to 3.00fw - did the sd card update come with that update? I have never used an sd card with the switch.
You will only get the exFAT update when there is an SD card inserted that is formatted to exFAT. You must also be on the latest firmware at the time of inserting the SD card as Nintendo won't let you grab the update by itself.

coolbird22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Its a strange reason why they don't have exFAT support on 1.0. Nintendo is trying to save some money so rather than pre-installing the support, they make users grab it from their online server. Meaning they pay Microsoft per exFAT update versus up-front for every console manufactured. Regardless, exFAT support for 1.0 would have to be implemented via a CFW. Currently, SX OS does have exFAT support but Atmosphere does not. Eventually, I'd imagine they will implement exFAT support since its a CFW designed for all firmwares in mind. And currently, the only real benefit for exFAT is for the backup "swapping" method via LayeredFS which will be replaced by a more backup-oriented method such as a title manager or launcher.

I see ... In that sense, I guess it is either better to buy SX OS or wait for it to be cracked. Thanks for sharing the info about exFAT. I didn't know any of that.

P4wn4g3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Won't game backups (read: not "Backups") get consoles banned due to the inability to verify certificates? Seems risky... I wish Nintendo wasn't so stern about their DRM crap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free