SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. geeleonidas

geeleonidas Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    Brazil
    lol
    I tried to simplify the issue but probably I made it more confusing.

Basically I've initialized the clean emuNAND, and the system asks you to format the SD card if it was used before on it (or on another switch).
    I've formatted it through a dialog in the system, imagining that it would be safe to do this (and it it was, thanks to emuMMC)
    I'll be more specific this time:
    Does emuMMC virtualizes my microSD, showing Nintendo only what's inside that RAW folder? Because if it doesn't, I am afraid that Ninty could detect that the SD formatted but its free space didn't change.

Last edited by geeleonidas, Aug 10, 2019
  2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You're unlikely to get banned for anything on your SD card.

geeleonidas likes this.
  3. giovany86

giovany86 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2016
    France
    Hello, i have a few questions about sysnand, emummc and online (bans).

Is it possible to make a emmuMMC that doesn't have any serial info / console id info / wifi settings and use it to play homebrew / install nsp / etc and use the sysnand to go online without "risk" of getting banned ? (like with 3ds emunand fully unlinked from sysnand but without any console specific info that can lead to a ban)

Using android on an emuMMC will ban my switch sysnand if i go online ?

4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Yes. This is usually the purpose of an emuNAND. If you setup an emuNAND and either a.) Keep it offline, or b.) Install Incognito and/or 90DNS, then you can do whatever you want with the emuNAND without fear of being banned.

No. Using Android on your Switch doesn't touch your sysNAND or emuNAND. It's a separate thing that runs off a dedicated SD card. Since it doesn't touch Horizon (the Switch OS) at all, it is very unlikely to cause a ban.

5. giovany86

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2016
    France
    Okay thanks for the answers :)

In the first step of the tutorial about setting up emunand it's said that we need to clean sysnand (skip if new one or never hacked), in case of an already clean sysnand (just games updates with legit stuff like dlc and games) is it necessary to clean it ?

6. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If your NAND is already clean, you don't need to clean it. If you've installed NSP files, for example, then it's dirty and needs to be cleaned. Restoring a clean NAND backup is the recommended way of cleaning your NAND. You can also clean your sysNAND after making the emuNAND.

Which guide are you following?

7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    That is all correct although there are ways of updating your sysMMC partition without burning fuses.

If your console is hacked and you do not restore a clean NAND backup, there is always a risk that you will be banned.

There is no reason to leave the Switch in RCM for extended periods of time. Sleep mode is designed for this purpose specifically.

You should have a backup of your NAND in case it gets bricked. As for the best way to play games online while enjoying Atmosphere, you should setup an emuMMC partition.Then you can load Atmosphere in your emuMMC partition and play your games online in sysMMC.

SwineAdam likes this.
  8. giovany86

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2016
    France
  9. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    A dongle is not required if you can hook up your Switch to your computer via a USB-C cable. I'm assuming you already have a way to enter RCM, and I'm assuming the Switch is unpatched.

10. giovany86

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2016
    France
    Yup, my switch is unpatched (bought on december 2017), for now i don't have any way of entering in RCM mode (i've ordered a RCM Loader ONE kit) so i'm leraning as much as possible to be ready for when i'll get my kit :o

11. SwineAdam

SwineAdam Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2018
    United States
    wouldn't this require having to hack it in the first place? i would rather not touch sysnand with any hack. from what i can tell, there's no real reason to touch sysnand anymore. is there any actual benefit to this?

12. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Not necessarily. If you can manually reboot into RCM after installing a system update, then you can theoretically update your console without burning fuses. The procedure is risky because if you fail to boot into RCM then you will burn fuses but it is a 100% guaranteed clean method that technically does not involve any hacks (RCM does not count as a hack since it is a part of the console itself). Here is a tutorial if you wish to attempt this yourself but I only recommend trying it if you have a jig with 100% efficiency.

SwineAdam likes this.
  13. WiseFool

WiseFool GBAtemp Regular

Sep 3, 2018
    India
    Someone please help me @Draxzelex

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

14. ScrPotato

ScrPotato GBAtemp Regular

Aug 3, 2019
    United States
    in your closet
    If you want to hack your switch, you need to make a NAND backup if you want emuMMC. It really doesn't matter what your fw version is if your switch is exploitable. You can use your emuMMC for offline and homebrew eMMC for legit games.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You can use Hekate.

15. techmob

techmob Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2019
    United Kingdom
    i have a 256gb sd card split into two partitions

partition 1 = 204gb (exfat)
    partition 2 = 30.6gb (fat32)

i have booted into hekate 5.0.1 and have created an emummc and that went to an SD partition.
    i couldnt choose which partition, just had the option to click continue. it took apporx 15 minutes to complete and was saved in emummc/raw1/nintendo

from this point i then enable emummc by clicking change emummc and then i can only choose SD raw1
    i can then launch into emummc and atmosphere.

when i view the contents of the micro sd on my PC, i see that the 30.6 fat32 partition i created for the backup nand is empty and no space being used so 30.6gb free
    but then i have the emummc/raw1/nintendo directory on partition 2, however this only shows the contents as being 22mb.

if i look at the free space of either partitions, it would imply i dont have a 30gb nand backup anywhere.

16. aarti

aarti Killua Zoldyck

Jul 24, 2017
    Germany
    follow this to restore NAND backup: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/extras/nandrestore/

and this to create an emuMMC:
    https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/user_guide/emummc/partitioning_sd/

This is how it should be. The second empty partition is emulating the internal storage. If you can't find the NAND backup in SD:/backup/, retry to make it.

Last edited by aarti, Aug 10, 2019
    techmob likes this.
  17. techmob

techmob Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2019
    United Kingdom
    thanks. can you point me in the right direction in remaking my nand backup. like i said, i did the above steps but cannot see any large files. so assume it has not done it.

18. aarti

aarti Killua Zoldyck

Jul 24, 2017
    Germany
    Inject hekate, go to tools, then to backup eMMC. Now back up "eMMC boot0 & boot1" and "eMMC RAW GPP".

19. techmob

techmob Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2019
    United Kingdom
    thanks.
    i did the emmc boot 0 and boot 1 already, just not the emmc raw gpp

thanks

aarti likes this.
  20. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You can enter RCM using something like a paperclip.

If space or time are problems, you really only need to backup BOOT0, BOOT1, and eMMC SYS for brick-recovery.

techmob likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted