SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Sure although not much reason to update to 7.X right off the bat even if Kosmos supports it. Not sure if you've heard but title installers are a bit broken on 7.X. You cannot install anything on the SD card on 7.X. You can only install via USB or network on 7.X until the title installers are updated so I'd recommend staying on something stable like 6.2 until that gets resolved.

nutsack likes this.
  2. nutsack

nutsack Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2018
    United States
    If install over USB is working that's all that really matters to me, since I use a FAT32 microSD and thus have to install over USB anyways. I'm in no rush to update though. I'd just like to be on it by the end of next month when Final Fantasy VII and Yoshi's Crafted World come out, since I imagine both will be 7.0.1 games.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Or do you mean even if I install over USB I still couldn't have the game installed to the SD card? That it would have to be installed to the NAND? That would be a huge reason not to upgrade yet.

3. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Not sure about the specifics but it just seems like USB install works fine regardless of the destination whereas any .NSP file that starts out on the SD card can't be installed anywhere.

nutsack likes this.
  4. niickie

niickie Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2016
    Brazil
    Oh, thank you for your answer!

Can I set up Kosmos and still run backup files? Because I am also interested in homebrew but it is not my main concern, and I want to keep my games always updated. In this case which one is what I am looking for? Or in the end I can do the same things with both scenarios?

And just another thing... How is the relationship between a modded Switch and original games (cartridge and digital)? Will I be able to still play them or would it be just wise to sell my games later?

Thank you again!

5. boooluk

boooluk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    United Kingdom
    what do i need to download to check if my switch is 100% unpatched? the method that is 100% safe and wont damage or get me banned

6. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Yes you can use Kosmos to launch backups. For your second question, you can play your legally owned games while using CFW (there is one rare case but it involves having a console with a firmware lower than 4.0 which is not very common nowadays).

Any payload .bin file and a way to launch send payload .bin file (which will differ based on how you send the payload) is all you need to check if your Switch is patched. Just sending a payload has no risk of getting you banned.

boooluk and niickie like this.
  7. TheGlow

TheGlow GBAtemp Regular

Nov 23, 2013
    United States
    Da Bronx
    Hey Draz, thanx for all the support. Every thread I check has you in there somewhere.
    I also started off with Kosmos but would rather have things as "clean" and minimized as possible.
    Where can I read about the differences from Kosmos and Atmosphere? It seems to be some patches I guess that allow the unsigned codes to execute?

8. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Their GBATemp thread highlights some of the features and items that are included in Kosmos. Also those patches don't necessarily allow for unsigned code to be executed; that is actually what the payload you send via USB enables. The patches allow for the installation of games you don't legally own.

9. 3I_R

3I_R Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2019
    Canada
    Hi, first time CFW user here with a quick question.

Everything is working great, my nsps, emulator, themes, etc are all working well after spending a few hours setting it up yesterday.

However I can no longer enter my main settings for the switch. Anytime I try to open settings, I get this error screen:

"Error Code: 2168-0002 (0x4a8)
    Title: 0100000000000036
    Firemware: 7.0.0 (Atmosphere 0.8.4-master-37161c5d)

An error has occured.

Please press power blah blah blah"

Anyone have any ideas on why this is occurring? I've googled the codes and haven't come up with anything yet.

Edit: I appear to have fixed the issue by uninstalling the themes I had downloaded. One of the files must have been corrupted.

Last edited by 3I_R, Feb 23, 2019
  10. boooluk

boooluk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    United Kingdom
    downloaded tegrarcm smash but it doesnt stay open, it quickly flashes a command prompt and disappears

11. Lovingmyswitch

Lovingmyswitch Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2019
    Congo, Republic of the
    Hi there! First post at the forum.
    I use an R4S dongle and jig to use Atmosphere on my Switch 6.2, at least until I mistakenly updated to 7.0.0.
    I patiently waited for an update to launch, but now that we have Atmos 0.8.4 I wonder where is the UF2 payload file I need to copy on the dongle so I can launch the new Atmosphere.
    Do I have to wait for R4i´s site to be updated or can I go ahead on my own following any tutorial?

I really would like to have my emulators on the go again.

Hope somebody can shed some light about this!

SaUzEr likes this.
  12. Bo0pNasty

Bo0pNasty Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2019
    United States
    Have a few no0b Q's before I start and could use some awesome community help! After reading a few guides and various posts I feel like I have a basic gist of things but would like some confirmations too. Thanks in advance!

I have a switch on 4.0.1 and am looking to run HB and legal baks of the carts I have now. Ive verified its unpatched and ran the fusee-test.bin successfully.

1) Is Hekate and Atmosphere a good and safe (safe as can be expected from modding anyway) route to go for FW 4.0.1 in Feb 2019 still or is there a better way now?

1a) Should I use the latest most updated versions of them (Hekate and Atmosphere) or older versions?

2) Am I correct in understanding that staying on lower FW is generally best, but at the loss of some features contained in those updates and the ability to play some newer games?

3) Do I need to worry about expending e-fuses in the above mentioned process?

4) Do I have to boot and dump payloads with a jig every time or is something like AutoRCM reasonable to accompany (or even already a part of) this setup?

5) Is there anything else you awesome people think I should know or do or understand to help with the process before I start?

13. GarnetSunset

GarnetSunset GBAtemp Regular

Apr 27, 2017
    United States
    Moreso a dumb question: is sys-ftpd broken for others on 7.x/0.8.4?

14. lukands

lukands I took the little bus here

Mar 27, 2009
    Estonia
    Your mamas house
    Would there be any conflict if the same xci game is on SD card AND external HDD?

15. Ali3n90

Ali3n90 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2019
    United States
    Ive gather a bunch of keys from the internet, however none of them seem to work for conversions etc. I tried dumping my console keys with lockpick, but it does not dump all of them including TEGRA key. I am also unable to dump part of the keys in Hekate. (Firmware 7.0.1)

Thanks,

16. Kinno

Kinno Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2019
    Australia
    a noob question, I have everything running good, but my sd card is getting full. Can I simply copy everything from the current SD card to the new 200GB SD card. Should it work that way or I have to re install everything. thanks

17. lukands

lukands I took the little bus here

Mar 27, 2009
    Estonia
    Your mamas house
    Are you using emunand? If so is it a hidden (separate) partition?

18. arculus

arculus Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2019
    United States
    Definitely a noob question, I just purchased a switch with a XAW7 safe serial with 4.1.0 software. Before I start all the guides and tutorials, is it best to stay at this software or can I safely update to a certain one that still allows homebrew,cfws, etc?

19. boooluk

boooluk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    United Kingdom
    arculus something similar i asked too for me also, anyway i downloaded a payload biskey payload to be exact and it brought a bunch of text and a smiley face with its eyes rotataing, does that mean my switch is unpatched good to go for cfw?

20. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    I believe they have a converter on their site you can use to convert the fusee-primary.bin file in Atmosphere's 0.8.4 release in the meantime.

1. I mean you can use ReiNX as an alternative as its much easier to setup ReiNX than Hekate and Atmosphere but all CFW pretty much use the same exploit which is Fusee Gelee aka sending a payload via USB while the Switch is in RCM. No matter what CFW you use, always use the latest versions unless told otherwise
    2. Lower firmwares are useful for future exploits such as untethered coldboot while higher firmwares are only necessary for playing newer games or going online. However the ability to update without burning fuses, which prevents normal downgrading in the first place, makes firmware a moot point. The best way to update without burning fuses is with the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX
    3. See #2
    4. AutoRCM removes the need for a jig as the sole purpose of a jig is to boot the console into RCM (as the name implies, AutoRCM AUTOmatically boots the Switch into RCM)
    5. Backup the NAND with Hekate. This means dump boot0/boot1 along with the raw eMMC GPP. Hekate will also display partitions that you can dump however these make up the raw eMMC GPP so if you dump the raw GPP, you already have the 2 partitions. This is all to help you recover from a brick should you so encounter one.
    I don't think so although I am not sure which one it would default to.

For what purpose do you require the keys for?

You can use the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX to not only update your firmware but do so without burning fuses meaning you can return to firmware 4.1 at any time in case a better exploit is released for that firmware in the future. The firmware I recommend updating to is 6.2 and 7.X is displaying some incompatibilities with certain homebrew apps and all non-Atmosphere CFW.

Yes.

Bo0pNasty and arculus like this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted