SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

epickid37 Nov 1, 2017.

1. dc9884

dc9884 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2018
    United States
    I'm trying to figure out the best way to back up my legally purchased eShop titles, so that I can move them from my clean Switch to my Switch with CFW. I found a few options, but it's unclear which is easier or works better:

- Switch SD Dumper from caitsith (requires a complete NAND dump, which seems time costuming)
    - Goldleaf title manager (says it's still experimental, unsure if it works)
    - Memloader? (saw this mentioned, but haven't been able to find a guide)
    - Another way I haven't seen?

Thank you for your help!

2. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    Yes you should always create a new NAND backup and a backup of the boot files.
    No, there’s no reason to stay on 5.1.0. If you update without burning fuses, you can always go back to 5.1.0.

3. rohkeus

rohkeus Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2019
    Brazil
    Do somebody has seen this before?

4. boooluk

boooluk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Ok , so apparently i have an unpatched switch, now i need to know how to make nand backup, putting atmosphere cfw, getting my switch keys, and if it is pssible to have exfat support all without burning any fuses, thankx in advance

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Look for any UF2 file converter. I think there may be one posted around this forum, possibly in the Backup Loaders & Modchips subforum.

Switch SD Dumper is basically a more streamlined version of the memloader method. There was a way to dump titles via memloader but the resulting output was only .NCA files (and there weren't any good .NSP converters at the time). Goldleaf is the most fastest way but since it is a homebrew application, it runs the highest risk of getting you banned for running it. Both the memloader and SD Dumper methods are safe from a banning perspective since they don't rely on homebrew but trade safety for time.

Use Hekate to backup the NAND. Hekate is another payload that you would send. You're going to want to dump boot0/boot1 as well as the eMMC raw GPP. The partitions, SYS and USER, you will see as other dumping options make up the eMMC raw GPP. Be aware that the eMMC raw GPP is 29.1 GB and will be dumped in 15 parts if you don't have enough space and/or you are using FAT32.

For exFAT support, you can use the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX to add exFAT support to any firmware (except 1.0) whilst not burning fuses.

boooluk likes this.
  6. dc9884

dc9884 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2018
    United States
    Thanks so much for your quick help! Just to clarify, I would have to run Goldleaf on my clean switch (and then restore a backup to make it clean again)? Just inserting the SD from the clean switch into the CFW switch and running it would not work?

Thanks again!

7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Nope. SD cards used for the Switch are console-specific meaning if you insert an SD card used for one Switch into another, the other Switch will detect the SD card is being used with another console and ask you to format it. If you want to keep dumping eShop games with Goldleaf but prevent a ban, restore a complete NAND backup to make it clean again. This usually constitutes boot0/boot1 as well as the eMMC raw GPP or rawnand.bin

8. dc9884

dc9884 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2018
    United States
    Understood. Thanks!

Draxzelex likes this.
  9. boooluk

boooluk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    United Kingdom
    i would like to use exfat to make the backup nand but cant without having cfw and choi first, that is what i understood, i haven`t made not even a user profile on the switch.
    After i make the backup nand and store it in an hdd, reformat the sd card and make it exfat, will the backup nand work on the re formated exfat sd card, or will ineed in case i use the backup nand, to reformat the sd card back to fat32?

10. jorgesd

jorgesd GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2018
    East Timor
    Hi, if i installed exfat support in 6.2 but then i format my sd card to fat32. Then i updated to 7.0.1 but in ChoidujoirNX i choosed [7.0.1], not [exfat 7.0.1] can i use exfat or not in this version?

11. jorgesd

jorgesd GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2018
    East Timor
  12. boooluk

boooluk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    United Kingdom
  13. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    exFAT is firmware-specific. If exFAT support is not reapplied when changing firmware versions, it is lost but only temporarily.

I don't really recommend that guide as it uses pre-compiled files put together by the OP meaning the files in there will always be out-of-date. If you want to backup your NAND/keys, just follow the Hekate and lockpick threads as that is essentially what that thread is in a nutshell.

boooluk likes this.
  14. boooluk

boooluk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Draxzelex thankx for being so active, can you post the links please? also need answer to this:
    i would like to use exfat to make the backup nand but cant without having cfw and choi first, that is what i understood, i haven`t made not even a user profile on the switch.
    After i make the backup nand and store it in an hdd, reformat the sd card and make it exfat, will the backup nand work on the re formated exfat sd card, or will i need in case i use the backup nand, to reformat the sd card back to fat32?

Last edited by boooluk, Feb 24, 2019
  15. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    You can backup the NAND without having CFW or exFAT support; that is essentially what Hekate does and is for. Hekate is a bootloader that doubles as a payload you send so it doesn't count as CFW especially since it is loaded in RCM which is triggered before the NAND meaning there is theoretically no trace of Hekate being ran. And since Hekate is loaded in RCM, which is outside of Horizon (the name of the operating system the Switch uses), exFAT support in Horizon is irrelevant when it comes to Hekate as Hekate supports exFAT for usage in Hekate.

nutsack and boooluk like this.
  16. boooluk

boooluk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    United Kingdom
    i asked because in the guide i saw it says that for restoring nand i need the sd to be exfat, so in case i need to restore nand i can leave it fat32?

17. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Yes, you need exFAT to restore the NAND because Hekate currently doesn't support split NAND restoration.

18. boooluk

boooluk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    United Kingdom
    this is confusing, you can backup nand in fat32 but to restore i need exfat, the guide op better have said keep the sd card exfat,
    so the solution is keep exfat, backup, then reformat the card to fat32 so i can cfw the switch to recognise exfat

19. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Well Switch scene is still evolving so one day Hekate may implement split NAND restoration. This is why its ideal to have at least 2 SD cards, one formatted as exFAT and the other formatted as FAT32.

boooluk likes this.
  20. jorgesd

jorgesd GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2018
    East Timor
    so i lost exfat support right? All i have to do is re aply it using ChoidujoirNX?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

i have 2 sd cards. Fat32 is the one that i use to put cfw things. The otherone 32gb is exfat and i use it to do nand backups. Can i also use it to restare a clean nand backup right?

21. boooluk

boooluk Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    United Kingdom
    choi nx is also used to upgrade cfw without burning fuses right? or is there another way
    my ofw is i guess 3.0.1 and i want to play newer games so will put 6.2 cfw

Last edited by boooluk, Feb 24, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted