Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just finished backing up everything via Hekate and about to install SXOS and emuNand.

However the guide I've read (can't post links yet but it's the "how to setup emunand" guide on this site) is saying to update SysNand to latest before setting up emuNand, but everywhere else I'm reading warnings to NOT update the SysNand to the latest 7.0 OFW.

Any advice on what the best option is and why?

I'm currently on 6.0.1 but it seems 6.2 is the most popular to be on - was something added in 6.2 that makes it the goto OFW?

Is the purpose of preventing the fuses being burnt just for a potential cold boot hack in future or are there other reasons I am unaware of?

I'm thinking of making an emuNand on 6.0.1 (or 6.2 if it's better?) and just updating the SysNand to 7.0 if the only reason to save fuses is for a possible future coldboot hack.

Any advice appreciated!

Last edited by DoobyDude,

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
Should I install the Homebrew Menu .nsp or use the title override function of Atmosphere?

If it comes down to personal preference (or if the latter is better), what "dummy" title is recommended to use?

nswuser007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
should you dump your NAND before or after making an EMUNAND? thats my only question before i mess soemthing up for the 4th time and waste another day with this. thanks!

TheGlow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just grabbed a serial that says should be good,xaw1, 0063...
I'll grab a 64gb sdcard in meantime to do a nand dump. My question is what's my fear in regards to upgrading the firmware after the dump? I'm under the impression without this being a patched model I can restore my dump any time and guess I can run cfw whenever.
Brief background is I've done x360 DVD firmware flashes, cool runner chip and a dual nand demon. Also some new 3dsxls.

nswuser007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I dumped the NAND on 6.2 after I had upgraded to 7.0 OFW with nintendo and i restored my 6.1 nand and then updated to 6.2 with choi thing .

is it safe to save this NAND since the system was on 7.0 ofw? or should I just use the 6.1 nand instead to avoid any issues when backing up in the future since that was done PRIOR to any updates and or crazy issues past 6.1/6.2 I just am not sure if it even matters at all and someone who knows could answer this very easily to help save me some time and also create some peace of mind

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone
I recently restored my 5.1 hacked Nand and because I currently have 8 burned fuses (FW 6.2), Sleep mode isn't working properly and I cannot wake it up again after I enter sleep mode. I thought Hekate 4.6 was supposed to fix this issue, but it isn't working for me. Any idea about what's going on would be greatly appreciated cuz frankly I am lost. It's been months since I last used my hacked Nand, but I am sure sleep mode worked just fine up until the point I accidently blew the fuses...
Maybe try another CFW like Atmosphere using Fusee or ReiNX?
Heya'll I've recently started to play some newer games and ran into some firmware related issues. (Deadcells V1.1). Would updating the switch to v6.2 from 5.1 allow the game to run without erroring out?
If i do update from 5.1 to 6.2 with Choidujour, would i have to do anything with the CFW?
If you update your firmware, make sure your CFW is updated to support the firmware you are updating to. The latest versions of all CFW support 6.2 so just replace the CFW files/folders then update your firmware with ChoiDujourNX (ChoiDujour is a Windows exe program).
I am a little confused, i am on sysnand 6.1.0, can i setup an emunand to keep it on 6.2. and the sysnand as low as possible?
( could you please hint me a tutorial , i'm kinda lost)
Yes that is the original purpose of EmuNAND; to allow you to update your firmware without updating the firmware of the console. This also allows you to not have to rely on AutoRCM as it is impossible to burn fuses with EmuNAND but you can use AutoRCM in conjunction with EmuNAND if you so wish.
I am using xs os 2.53 and 5.1
My question is: is it safe to use retroarch emulator on switch with sd card, using exfat? There are some users expereinced corruption of data on sd card with exfat.
It is not safe to use exFAT in general, especially with homebrew such as Retroarch.
Just finished backing up everything via Hekate and about to install SXOS and emuNand.

However the guide I've read (can't post links yet but it's the "how to setup emunand" guide on this site) is saying to update SysNand to latest before setting up emuNand, but everywhere else I'm reading warnings to NOT update the SysNand to the latest 7.0 OFW.

Any advice on what the best option is and why?

I'm currently on 6.0.1 but it seems 6.2 is the most popular to be on - was something added in 6.2 that makes it the goto OFW?

Is the purpose of preventing the fuses being burnt just for a potential cold boot hack in future or are there other reasons I am unaware of?

I'm thinking of making an emuNand on 6.0.1 (or 6.2 if it's better?) and just updating the SysNand to 7.0 if the only reason to save fuses is for a possible future coldboot hack.

Any advice appreciated!
That guide sounds like its not updated, which is a bad sign, because likely the latest firmware at the time it was written did support CFW but currently the latest firmware does not support CFW yet. For now, you can just skip that step and update your SysNAND later such as when CFW does support the latest firmware. The only reason to have SysNAND on the latest firmware is to play the Switch online.

Should I install the Homebrew Menu .nsp or use the title override function of Atmosphere?

If it comes down to personal preference (or if the latter is better), what "dummy" title is recommended to use?
The developers behind Atmosphere are against any .NSP files you install because of multiple reasons (e.g. piracy, ban risk, etc.) so they created an override function to not only allow a safer way to use homebrew, but to also confuse pirates by creating another type of .NSP file. While this doesn't answer your question, just know that it is down to personal preference. The only noteworthy difference is that the override function has a lower ban risk but for people who don't care about being banned, that difference becomes negligible. Not sure which dummy title is preferred but any free game on the eShop should do like Pokemon Quest, Hulu, Fortnite, etc.

I just grabbed a serial that says should be good,xaw1, 0063...
I'll grab a 64gb sdcard in meantime to do a nand dump. My question is what's my fear in regards to upgrading the firmware after the dump? I'm under the impression without this being a patched model I can restore my dump any time and guess I can run cfw whenever.
Brief background is I've done x360 DVD firmware flashes, cool runner chip and a dual nand demon. Also some new 3dsxls.
The sole purpose of a NAND dump is to recover from a brick. In regards to your actual question, the Switch has fuses like the Xbox 360 that prevents downgrading. When you update the console's firmware, you will burn fuses when it reboots. And just like in the 360, these fuses are designed to prevent downgrades. This is important as there may be better or more convenient exploits on lower firmwares that may be released in the future. Now there is a way to update the firmware without burning fuses but this requires the usage of homebrew which may not appeal to people who want to play the console online.
so I dumped the NAND on 6.2 after I had upgraded to 7.0 OFW with nintendo and i restored my 6.1 nand and then updated to 6.2 with choi thing .

is it safe to save this NAND since the system was on 7.0 ofw? or should I just use the 6.1 nand instead to avoid any issues when backing up in the future since that was done PRIOR to any updates and or crazy issues past 6.1/6.2 I just am not sure if it even matters at all and someone who knows could answer this very easily to help save me some time and also create some peace of mind
There is not much difference in saving a 6.1 NAND versus a 6.2 NAND especially since your console has a fuse count of 9 on account of updating to 7.0. You can go ahead and make a copy of your 6.2 NAND but its about as useful as your 6.2 NAND. And by useful, I mean you can still use either one of those NAND backups to recover from a brick as long as you remember that the firmware of those NAND backups are lower than your fuse count meaning after you restore one of the NAND backups, you can only boot the console through RCM.

Reactions: NFates

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That guide sounds like its not updated, which is a bad sign, because likely the latest firmware at the time it was written did support CFW but currently the latest firmware does not support CFW yet. For now, you can just skip that step and update your SysNAND later such as when CFW does support the latest firmware. The only reason to have SysNAND on the latest firmware is to play the Switch online.
Yeah I ended up skipping that step, remaining on 6.0.1 and creating an emunand on a hidden partition.
If I can get away with being on 6.0.1 I'll stay on that until a 7.0 CFW is released, not too bothered about online for now.

Finally got games showing up! :)
Now to work out how to install updates etc
is it OK to have a game .xci and an update as .nsp or do they need to be the same? It is, works fine.
So much information to take in!

Thanks again for all your help!

Reactions: Draxzelex

TheGlow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The sole purpose of a NAND dump is to recover from a brick. In regards to your actual question, the Switch has fuses like the Xbox 360 that prevents downgrading. When you update the console's firmware, you will burn fuses when it reboots. And just like in the 360, these fuses are designed to prevent downgrades. This is important as there may be better or more convenient exploits on lower firmwares that may be released in the future. Now there is a way to update the firmware without burning fuses but this requires the usage of homebrew which may not appeal to people who want to play the console online.
My current intent is to just play backups, mostly the single player stuff and get the feel for it. Then if I like a game, get a 2nd switch down the road for the kids as they are already hyped Animal Crossing is coming soon.
If I recall the 3ds could still restore a nand and not blow fuses? I might be mistaken.

XaneTenshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Maybe try another CFW like Atmosphere using Fusee or ReiNX?

Thanks as always. I am using ReiNX and I would have tried Atmosphere right now to check if the same thing happens, but it looks like AutoRCM has killed my Switch for the second time now! I don't understand what the hell is happening anymore. Each time I put the Switch in sleep mode and it fails to wake up, I assume it's either stuck in sleep mode or has crashed and entered RCM thanks to AutoRCM, so I send Hekate Payload and turn it off, yet when I return later to use it, there is no Power and it doesn't respond when connected to my PC....*SIGH*

I'll try tomorrow once the Switch has Power and see if I get the same result with Atmosphere...

Reactions: Draxzelex

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I have a hacked Switch and still want to be able to inject payloads and such, but I am getting a new laptop in a week or 2. Once I get it, don't I need to install something with the "zadig-2.4" program? What do I need to select when I run said program on my laptop? I was following a guide online for this when I first hacked my Switch, but I don't remember site. Is there a guide I can follow that lists steps I need to take or do you guys know what I need to do to get my new laptop prepped for Switch hacking? Any help greatly appreciated :)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My current intent is to just play backups, mostly the single player stuff and get the feel for it. Then if I like a game, get a 2nd switch down the road for the kids as they are already hyped Animal Crossing is coming soon.
If I recall the 3ds could still restore a nand and not blow fuses? I might be mistaken.
3DS did not use fuses which made downgrading easier but the 3DS didn't have a coldboot exploit like the Switch very early on. It had firmware-specific exploits meaning if you weren't on that firmware, you couldn't downgrade and if you were already on that firmware, there was no reason to downgrade.

I just got a 4.10 unpatched. Can I update this to 6.2?
Sure. The best way to do that is with the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX.

Hi guys. I have a hacked Switch and still want to be able to inject payloads and such, but I am getting a new laptop in a week or 2. Once I get it, don't I need to install something with the "zadig-2.4" program? What do I need to select when I run said program on my laptop? I was following a guide online for this when I first hacked my Switch, but I don't remember site. Is there a guide I can follow that lists steps I need to take or do you guys know what I need to do to get my new laptop prepped for Switch hacking? Any help greatly appreciated :)
The instructions for using Zadig can be found on the GitHub page for TegraRCMSmash.

TheGlow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS did not use fuses which made downgrading easier but the 3DS didn't have a coldboot exploit like the Switch very early on. It had firmware-specific exploits meaning if you weren't on that firmware, you couldn't downgrade and if you were already on that firmware, there was no reason to downgrade.
Thanks. I have a nand dump in progress currently.
Ive seen some mention of just launching a backup is a flag for being banned, is this true?
Can I do something like stay offline and play away and then if/when I have to go online I can restore nand?
Sorry for annoying questions, just looking to get as much paved out of the way before I cross any points of no return.
And what about homebrew? Like retroarch, is that less risky?
I know about inherent risks, i've caught x360 bans before.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I have a nand dump in progress currently.
Ive seen some mention of just launching a backup is a flag for being banned, is this true?
Can I do something like stay offline and play away and then if/when I have to go online I can restore nand?
Sorry for annoying questions, just looking to get as much paved out of the way before I cross any points of no return.
And what about homebrew? Like retroarch, is that less risky?
I know about inherent risks, i've caught x360 bans before.
Anything performed in RCM is virtually undetectable such as dumping the NAND and sending a payload. RCM is triggered before the NAND therefore Nintendo should have no way of tracking what we do in RCM. Bans are distributed for everything after RCM such as running CFW, using homebrew, playing game backups regardless if you legally own them or not. So it stands to reason that if you dump your NAND before hacking the console, stay offline with CFW & homebrew, then restore the NAND prior to going online, you will evade a ban. However you must be aware that if you plan to return to CFW & homebrew after restoring the first NAND backup you made, then you must make another as you cannot flash the same NAND backup more than once with regards to ban prevention. This is because it logically wouldn't be possible for you to return to the state you dumped your NAND more than once.

Reactions: DoobyDude

Zozolight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i been trying to use FTPD to get a 5.3 gig NSP on my switch and it keeps stopping at 80%

It's not the file, it's basically anything bigger then 5 gigs

I've gotten like 15 gig nsp on there before, but i just had to downgrade from 7... is that what happened?

any solutions?

TheGlow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything performed in RCM is virtually undetectable such as dumping the NAND and sending a payload. RCM is triggered before the NAND therefore Nintendo should have no way of tracking what we do in RCM. Bans are distributed for everything after RCM such as running CFW, using homebrew, playing game backups regardless if you legally own them or not. So it stands to reason that if you dump your NAND before hacking the console, stay offline with CFW & homebrew, then restore the NAND prior to going online, you will evade a ban. However you must be aware that if you plan to return to CFW & homebrew after restoring the first NAND backup you made, then you must make another as you cannot flash the same NAND backup more than once with regards to ban prevention. This is because it logically wouldn't be possible for you to return to the state you dumped your NAND more than once.
That makes sense. So if I was crackheaded I could do whatever, restore, Play a week or so online cleanly, then do another dump, stay offline, cfw away, if wanting to back, repeat by restore nand, stay clean, etc?
I wanted to ensure I had an unpatched console for myself for future shenanigans, but potentially clean as my kids loved animal crossing online.
I had a 3dsxl and honestly had more fun modding it than playing any games. So I dont want to get banned in the event I dont even like it and kids cant go online.
I think I'll get at least 1 more switch and keep that offline.
Also from what I read the fuses would burn on an update, so would I still be able to restore and older nand?

DoobyDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
However you must be aware that if you plan to return to CFW & homebrew after restoring the first NAND backup you made, then you must make another as you cannot flash the same NAND backup more than once with regards to ban prevention. This is because it logically wouldn't be possible for you to return to the state you dumped your NAND more than once.

This isn't something I'd considered, but makes sense if I'm understanding it correctly.

Playing online on the first "clean" NAND would make some changes to it, so restoring the same original NAND backup again would raise red flags as it would restore the NAND to the state it was before you went online and the NAND was changed by going online.

So after every period online with the "clean" NAND and before you go back to CFW, you should make a new backup to store the NAND at that point (with whatever changes were made by going online with it) ready to restore the next time you want to go back online.

Sort of like a rolling NAND backup system after every time you're done playing online and before you go back to CFW.

Am I understanding that right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle