SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. iTz_Renzokuken

iTz_Renzokuken Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2018
    Brazil
    Just for curiosity, only bis keys are different for each console?

Last edited by iTz_Renzokuken, Dec 23, 2018
  2. adrenaline2010

adrenaline2010 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 9, 2010
    Netherlands
    New to the scene. I'm about to buy a 2nd hand switch that was bought by the seller in May. I assume this means it's impossible for the console to be patched. The seller probably updated to 6.2.0 ofw and burnt fuses. I'm getting 2 games with it so I doubt it's been modded.
    Can I run backups, homebrew and dlc on this device with ease or is the workaround for 6.2.0 ofw difficult? Will there possibly be a sleep issue or other downsides? I'm hoping for a quick reply because I'm meeting them soon. Thanks in advance

3. cyndor

cyndor GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2018
    United States
    No downsides and no increased difficulty. Might want to keep the serial thread opened up on your phone to double check if it's hack-able before buying it.

4. CapCaveman

CapCaveman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2018
    Sweden
    Draxzelex, you're a saint, seriously.

So I can dump the NAND to an exFAT formatted card, but then I'll have to use a FAT32 one anyway to load a CFW and update with ChoiNX. Only after applying the exFAT patch, I'll be able to use exFAT cards.

Thanks again for all the answers, you've helped me so much!

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    1. I think I used one of my smaller paperclips to boot into RCM since it slid in the rail perfectly
    2. Don't have any experience with cables but you can take a look at this thread for examples
    3. Let's Go doesn't support LAN, it only supports local wireless. However there is a kip that converts local wireless to LAN so it can be used with programs such as Switch LAN play or the newly updated Xlink Kai. But since you need the kip, that means both consoles need to be hacked as obviously, you cannot load the KIP without CFW
    Check the serial number to see if its patched or not in this thread.

Dumping the NAND has not changed ever since Hekate was able to do it. In my opinion, you don't even need a guide. Its just dumping boot0/boot1 and eMMC raw GPP. The former are small at 4 MB a piece but the latter is a whopping 29.1 GB. Hekate supports partial dumping in case your SD card doesn't have enough space and/or its formatted to FAT32. If you're really stingy about space but don't mind losing save data/installed content, you can dump eMMC SYS instead since that's the more important partition of the raw GPP. And the more recent, the better as Hekate is currently up to V4.6

Yup.
    Yes. My memory is slipping but in case I haven't told you already, if the SD card is larger than 32 GB, use a third-party program such as GUIFormat.

iTz_Renzokuken and CapCaveman like this.
  6. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    Did you relaunch? also from what I know the switch will load with a exfat microsd card but no driver, it then asks for an update.

BricMii, Hekate and ReiNX toolkit all enable/disbale autoRCM, however there is some overlap so if you use briccmii and then want to use reinxtoolkit for it, you would first need to disable the bricmii autoRCM

Lockpick and biskeydump dump different keys. Lockpick dumps the prod.keys which are shared between every console and are needed for converting or running any hactool based programs. biskeydump dumps your console unique keys that are needed for nand backup/rebuild/access in hacdiskmount. If you don't have those keys you can't rebuild you nand.

I used dedbae xci2nsp to convert xci to nsp then installed with tinfoils usb option

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Adding on Drax's reply about question 3, it is also possible to play with modded console and legit console over the local wireless

Last edited by Adran_Marit, Dec 23, 2018
    Draxzelex likes this.
  7. CapCaveman

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2018
    Sweden
    Will do. Also, you mentioned USB install as a highly recommended and faster method. Did you mean that for game backups? I tried searching the tutorials forum for a guide, but couldn't find one, would you mind linking it for me?

8. Adran_Marit

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    get tinfoil (here) and then use Aluminium Foil (here) then just follow the on screen instructions

CapCaveman likes this.
  9. CapCaveman

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2018
    Sweden
    Thanks! I'll be using SX OS as the CFW, I believe it already has an implementation of Tinfoil in it?

10. Adran_Marit

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    I believe they use dz tinfoil not og tinfoil which is what I linked and know works

CapCaveman likes this.
  11. CapCaveman

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2018
    Sweden
    Gotcha. I'll take a look at those later, thanks again.

12. CapCaveman

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2018
    Sweden
    While my sysNAND is being dumped (smooth sailing, so far), I was thinking about what to do after I create and update the emuNAND, since I'd like to later use exFAT (I've been warned about the risk of corruption, but the practicality of exFAT is more enticing).

@Draxzelex has already pointed out GUIFormat for FAT32. But what should I do with the files in the microSD before I format it back to exFAT? Can I just backup, then copy and paste them to the root of the formatted card? My main concern is the EmuNAND that I will create using SX OS (I won't have any games or save files in it).

13. shutupsitdown

shutupsitdown Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2018
    Canada
    What's special with that Tinfoil (you linked from discord) compared to the github version?

14. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Yes you can just backup whatever files are on the SD card, format it, then put them back.

15. shutupsitdown

shutupsitdown Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2018
    Canada
    I was just looking at what Goldleaf does as it seems to be the replacement for Tinfoil but either one in USB install seems to modify the Switch by replacing a library on it? Is that right? Seems like it would be pretty easy for Nintendo to write a future firmware that checks for such a driver being present. But I guess they could do that with a SD card as well, just look for the usual suspect directories, bootloader, etc.

16. Ranshiro

Ranshiro Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2018
    Japan
    Currently I am on 4.1.0 and I would like to set up emuNAND to 6.2

I have quite a few purchased/installed games. My question is if I play those games on the 6.2 emuNAND will I have to update the games to be able to play them? If possible I'd like to keep parity between the game versions on my 4.1 sysNAND and the 6.2 emuNAND

17. ore9ore

ore9ore GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    Hi. New to the scene switch. I havent done anything yet but I bought a 3d printed jig that will arrive around 20 Jan.
    My question is... Seeing that the scene is currently a bit choppy jet (pin shorts, exFAT random corruptions+need to update, Fat32 limitations, nice and crispy BANS)... Os going to be another method of softmoding that doesnt require messing with pins nor purposely mid-briking the console [the AutoRMC method sounded like that to me]? Like, something easier and nooby friendly?
    I heard of something like warmboot or something... What would that be? Is expected early or at least a few months?

Thans

18. Adran_Marit

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    Sometime soon, when they get around to releasing the writeup and whatnot. Until then RCM is the only way. RCM + Jig is still the best option as it gives you more access imo

If you follow the guides it's hard to mess up, not to mention we are happy to help. We can bypass the fat32 limitation with usb/wifi install. 90DNS to block telemetry to nintendo. ChoidujourNX for updating. It's all quite simple now. The hardest part is getting into RCM for the first time

CapCaveman likes this.
  19. Ivellios

Ivellios GBAtemp Regular

Sep 5, 2009
    Brazil
    Hello, ever since i switched from RajNX to Kosmos i have faced some problems:

1- Some NSPs just stopped working altogether, while others still works fine

2- On RetroNX my gba saves were completely lost and when i try to load states they just give a weird sound and crash

Is there anything i can do to solve this? thanks

20. Zonark

Zonark Zonark - Noun - A God

Jul 11, 2010
    United States
    Honestly I would revert back