Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Jocke1234

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
And after it is modded, i can probably upgrade to the latest firmware or do i have to avoid some? I dont really care about online, but i would like to keep everything updated..

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently updated my switch firmware to 17.0.0. I updated hekate and atmosphere before installing the latest firmware to emummc and the latest version of sigpatch, but I kept getting a fatal error. In the end, I deleted my atmosphere file and replaced it with a fresh one from the latest hats pack.

emummc launches just fine now, but I seemed to have lost some game save data. Some months ago, I dumped my cartridge of ToTK and made a save file in my emummc. Now I don't have the option to launch ToTK without the carttridge being inside my machine and I fear that I've lost that save file. Have I lost my save data? Where is save data for games on the emummc normally stored within the atmosphere folder? Is there a way to recover my data?
Try putting the whole hats pack on there instead of part of it. It sounds like your atmosphere is good to go now but maybe not your sigpatches and possibly other components
Post automatically merged:

And after it is modded, i can probably upgrade to the latest firmware or do i have to avoid some? I dont really care about online, but i would like to keep everything updated..
Just a heads up, the oled chip install is not for beginners. If you have experience in micro-soldering, then review a guide or two and go for it. Otherwise, you are better off finding a modder to pay to do it professionally.

Jocke1234

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yeah i have never modded, but feels kind of hard to even find anyone from Finland to do the mod for me and its also hard to trust strangers nowadays so this has become kind of a big project to figure it all out and make it happen :D Maybe it would just be easier to go for a used v1/v2 which is already modded and buy that..

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I have an OLED model (not hardware modded) which I'd like to keep on the lowest firmware possible just in case an exploit is found and it can be hacked through software. I play my legally purchased games and carts on it. However, whenever I try to open eShop it asks me to update my system first and closes afterwards. Same for the games, whenever I try to play Animal Crossing: New Horizons, it always ask for an update first (but it does allow me to play the game).

Is it possible to block updates but keep online connectivity for games?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an OLED model (not hardware modded) which I'd like to keep on the lowest firmware possible just in case an exploit is found and it can be hacked through software. I play my legally purchased games and carts on it. However, whenever I try to open eShop it asks me to update my system first and closes afterwards. Same for the games, whenever I try to play Animal Crossing: New Horizons, it always ask for an update first (but it does allow me to play the game).

Is it possible to block updates but keep online connectivity for games?

Keep it offline if you want to keep it as low firmware as possible, if you load a cartridge and it won't boot then it just mean it want the firmware update.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Keep it offline if you want to keep it as low firmware as possible, if you load a cartridge and it won't boot then it just mean it want the firmware update.
So, there's no way to block the updates but still use online connectivity for some games? I have a digital copy of Animal Crossing: New Horizons and it always asks for Internet connection in order to start the game.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, there's no way to block the updates but still use online connectivity for some games? I have a digital copy of Animal Crossing: New Horizons and it always asks for Internet connection in order to start the game.

You can use 90DNS, it is just a DNS blocker, but easier if you keep it completely offline. You may as well just get an Instinct NX V6 Black installed so you can take advantage of CFW.

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
You can use 90DNS, it is just a DNS blocker, but easier if you keep it completely offline. You may as well just get an Instinct NX V6 Black installed so you can take advantage of CFW.
Tired the 90DNS but, sadly, now Animal Crossing won't start since it can't check whether the game can be played or not. Shame, but it is what it is. Thanks for the replies!
As for the modchip, I'll order a few just in case there happens to be no means to hack Switch without installing a modchip.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tired the 90DNS but, sadly, now Animal Crossing won't start since it can't check whether the game can be played or not. Shame, but it is what it is. Thanks for the replies!
As for the modchip, I'll order a few just in case there happens to be no means to hack Switch without installing a modchip.

Probably there won't be anymore software based exploit beside the one for firmware 4.1.0 and below.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, there's also the theory that an exploit might exist for later models, but it was being kept secret for fear that Nintendo would patch it as soon as it became public, as they did with Fusée Gelée. In a best case scenario, if this is true, the exploit could be released at the end of life of the Switch console, after the successor to Switch has been released and Nintendo doesn't care anymore about the old Switch. Nobody knows, it might happen. Just a couple more years of waiting, in that case.

Reactions: Blythe93

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there's also the theory that an exploit might exist for later models, but it was being kept secret for fear that Nintendo would patch it as soon as it became public, as they did with Fusée Gelée. In a best case scenario, if this is true, the exploit could be released at the end of life of the Switch console, after the successor to Switch has been released and Nintendo doesn't care anymore about the old Switch. Nobody knows, it might happen. Just a couple more years of waiting, in that case.
Yea, possible. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
There isn't an exploit.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I want to ask a few questions about how switch modding works. I have already searched for these on Google as much as possible but there were no answers for these specific questions, so I made an account here to ask these. I already have some assumptions about certain things, so I did this quiz-style.

1. Atmosphere looks EXACTLY like HOS, same sound effects and all. It even runs games designed for HOS. So what exactly is Atmosphere? Context: sysNAND containing stock HOS + SD card containing Atmosphere and basic homebrew apps like goldleaf (no emuNAND)
Is Atmosphere:

A) a modified copy of HOS (located on the SD card) that uses data (user icons, save files etc) from the internal NAND copy of HOS to give the illusion of a stock HOS that also has homebrew capabilities?

B) a different OS not based on HOS (where said OS is located on SD card) that uses a HOS-style UI and uses data (user icons, save files etc) from the internal NAND copy of HOS to give the illusion of a stock HOS that also has homebrew capabilities?
(If Atmosphere is not based on HOS, how can it run HOS games? API translation layers or something? Is this like booting a Windows PC from a Linux USB and using Wine to run Windows apps?)

C) a piece of software that boots into the stock HOS which is located on internal NAND, but applies small modifications on-the-fly by altering RAM data or otherwise?

D) something else? (Please explain)

2. Why does Atmosphere look exactly like HOS? Is it a deliberate design choice, or is it due to some technical limitations of how Atmosphere works?

3. What is the purpose of a custom bootloader like Hekate?
Is it:

A) because the stock bootloader only boots into stock firmware and not custom firmware

B) because custom bootloaders have more features such as NAND backup and NAND restore

C) Both A and B

D) another reason (please explain)

Please reply if you know the answer to at least one of these.
  1. You were close. A is the most similar to what Atmosphere actually is but Atmosphere is not a modification. Instead, Atmosphere is a rewrite of HOS from the ground-up. Its meant to replace HOS as the operating system but also emulate it at the same time with the caveats that we all associate with CFW. Because of this, it will have the same functions as HOS explaining why it looks the same but it also removes the restrictions that HOS had such as the ability to use homebrew, pirate games, and so much more
  2. I don't think the exact reasoning is ever given but given that its a rewrite of HOS, making it look different would defeat the purpose. Atmosphere is not meant to be a different OS than HOS but an upgraded version if you will
  3. Technically it is both A and B but strictly speaking, it is A at the very least. The console's own bootloader will never boot into CFW without an exploit which is where the custom bootloader comes into play. But since we have access to custom bootloaders, tools in this area have special privileges that apps running in Atmosphere don't have. For example, since the eMMC (not NAND) isn't running when using a custom bootloader, dumping the eMMC is easier because its not actively running so you don't have to worry about changes to the eMMC when its being backed up. Hekate was originally designed as an alternative method of launching Atmosphere but the developer kept adding features over time that made it so much more than a custom bootloader.

MaximLufia

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Do you have any cheats and/or sysmodules enabled?

Sorry for the delay in responding.
Cheats - no.
sysmodules - only Emuiibo

I didn't make any changes to the settings after the update.
Before the update it worked with the same settings.

Thank you for your help Draxzelex.
Problem solved.
I was using a translation file that was only compatible with version 2.0.
I updated the translation with a file compatible with version 3.0 and the game stopped freezing.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 11.41.58.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 11.41.58.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 12
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 11.41.58 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 11.41.58 (1).jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 10
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 11.41.56.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 11.41.56.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by MaximLufia,

BadgeringInTheForest

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
  1. You were close. A is the most similar to what Atmosphere actually is but Atmosphere is not a modification. Instead, Atmosphere is a rewrite of HOS from the ground-up. Its meant to replace HOS as the operating system but also emulate it at the same time with the caveats that we all associate with CFW. Because of this, it will have the same functions as HOS explaining why it looks the same but it also removes the restrictions that HOS had such as the ability to use homebrew, pirate games, and so much more
  2. I don't think the exact reasoning is ever given but given that its a rewrite of HOS, making it look different would defeat the purpose. Atmosphere is not meant to be a different OS than HOS but an upgraded version if you will
  3. Technically it is both A and B but strictly speaking, it is A at the very least. The console's own bootloader will never boot into CFW without an exploit which is where the custom bootloader comes into play. But since we have access to custom bootloaders, tools in this area have special privileges that apps running in Atmosphere don't have. For example, since the eMMC (not NAND) isn't running when using a custom bootloader, dumping the eMMC is easier because its not actively running so you don't have to worry about changes to the eMMC when its being backed up. Hekate was originally designed as an alternative method of launching Atmosphere but the developer kept adding features over time that made it so much more than a custom bootloader.
Alright thanks a lot for the answers. But what’s the difference between saying “eMMC” and “NAND” in the context of switch hacking? As far as I am aware NAND is a type of storage architecture, and eMMC is a specific type of chip that uses the NAND architecture. So what does it mean when someone says “eMMC” versus “NAND” in the context of switch hacking? Also, what’s the difference between emuMMC and emuNAND?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright thanks a lot for the answers. But what’s the difference between saying “eMMC” and “NAND” in the context of switch hacking? As far as I am aware NAND is a type of storage architecture, and eMMC is a specific type of chip that uses the NAND architecture. So what does it mean when someone says “eMMC” versus “NAND” in the context of switch hacking? Also, what’s the difference between emuMMC and emuNAND?
The 3DS uses a NAND chip to store its software. Because of that and the fact that the first exploit for it worked on a specific firmware, emuNAND was developed which is short for emulated NAND. I think the Wii U used a NAND chip as well because it also had emuNAND but it was less practical since the Wii U's internal storage was 32 GB. The Switch on the other hand uses an eMMC instead and a lot of the community are used to the vernacular used during the 3DS/Wii U Era. So when someone says "NAND", they actually mean "eMMC" because the Switch doesn't use a NAND chip. That also means the difference between emuMMC and emuNAND depends on what you're emulating, whether its a NAND or eMMC.
Safest way to update firmware? I saw you could do in tinfoil and it downloads for you so easy but tinfoil but how stable tinfoil is can sometimes be questionable. I understand that 17 is too new but I know eventually I will have to so what is in your view safest way to update to nintendos 17 firmware
Safest way is obviously the official Nintendo servers.

Reactions: Blythe93

doped505069

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a picofly modded oled.

I followed the rentry mariko guide and set up my emummc.

When I power on it always boots to hekate instead of cfw. Is this normal and desirable?

Another question:

Also when it comes to hekate i only have 2 bootable options now [Atmosphere CFW] & [Warmboot Error Fix].

Is there not meant to be a sysmmc option?

And what is the Warmboot Error Fix option? Is that just OFW?

Appreciate any replies thanks guys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zTei5RMhQ8