Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, long time reader first time questioner.

I have a modded Switch Oled and the picofly chip has failed me. The chip has been replaced by the modder and is on route back to me. I was wondering if I have to setup partitions, emunand, android, etc. all over again or if I can just use the SD card I have been using before the chip failed.

Will it give issues if I do that or can I use it just fine?

What did the guy replace picofly with?

Prostidude

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well hopefully he solder correctly, also you should keep a NAND backup around just incase anything happens to the NAND.
Thank you I have a NAND backup on an external ssd in case of emergency. And the modder claims he has a lot of experience ofcourse it's a leap of faith for me. But do you think I can keep using the same sd card which I used before the previous chip failed? Or do I have to act like it's a newly modded switch that I will setup for the first time?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you I have a NAND backup on an external ssd in case of emergency. And the modder claims he has a lot of experience ofcourse it's a leap of faith for me. But do you think I can keep using the same sd card which I used before the previous chip failed? Or do I have to act like it's a newly modded switch that I will setup for the first time?

Should be able to use the same card.

Reactions: Prostidude

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, you're right. I just want to be 100% sure of what I'm doing, as this feels more complicated than when I softmodded my other systems.
Post automatically merged:

I have a few more questions about online play & sysnand stuff.
  • Should I update my firmware to the latest version before doing anything cfw related? (RCM mode, etc)
  • Should I link a Nintendo account to get NSO features before or after installing cfw? (On my sysnand only if that's possible)
  • Will updating stock sysnand with future firmware updates be safe?
    • Will I need to keep creating new sysnand backups with these firmware updates?
      • If so, will the sysnand now be dirty somehow because of a modified console?
  • Looking through the guides, one suggests using 90DNS (switch.homebrew) while the other (rentry) says NOT to use it and instead use exosphere/incognito/emunand. Which method should I be using?
  • No, I would recommend you update everything after you can load CFW because there are alternative ways of updating your firmware via homebrew
  • While it is recommended to link a Nintendo Account prior to setting up CFW, that will require you to update to the latest version which counteracts my previous statement. However there is a way to setup a fake Nintendo Account with a homebrew application. There is no right or wrong answer in this scenario
  • You do not need to make new sysMMC backups every time you update your firmware but it can save you a step if you need to use a backup to recover from a brick. And so long as you never launch CFW or homebrew, the backups will not be tainted. However if you're going to be online with sysMMC, you will need to create a backup every time you go online. This is because your sysMMC will be modified every time you go online and Nintendo will record these changes. If you restore a backup that was made before you went online, your sysMMC will revert to the state it was in when that backup was made. This means your sysMMC will revert to a previous state which will not match Nintendo's records and flag you for a ban. Therefore, I would recommend just keep one backup of sysMMC if it somehow becomes bricked
  • I don't recommend using 90DNS or any equivalent. This is because their sole utility is being able to use Internet-based features without connecting to Nintendo's servers. However these are far and few in between as well as there being plenty of alternatives to these utilities so I advise avoiding them altogether. If you really don't want to connect to the Internet, simply delete the Wi-Fi settings

Reactions: jellwiifish

jellwiifish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
  • No, I would recommend you update everything after you can load CFW because there are alternative ways of updating your firmware via homebrew
  • While it is recommended to link a Nintendo Account prior to setting up CFW, that will require you to update to the latest version which counteracts my previous statement. However there is a way to setup a fake Nintendo Account with a homebrew application. There is no right or wrong answer in this scenario
  • You do not need to make new sysMMC backups every time you update your firmware but it can save you a step if you need to use a backup to recover from a brick. And so long as you never launch CFW or homebrew, the backups will not be tainted. However if you're going to be online with sysMMC, you will need to create a backup every time you go online. This is because your sysMMC will be modified every time you go online and Nintendo will record these changes. If you restore a backup that was made before you went online, your sysMMC will revert to the state it was in when that backup was made. This means your sysMMC will revert to a previous state which will not match Nintendo's records and flag you for a ban. Therefore, I would recommend just keep one backup of sysMMC if it somehow becomes bricked
  • I don't recommend using 90DNS or any equivalent. This is because their sole utility is being able to use Internet-based features without connecting to Nintendo's servers. However these are far and few in between as well as there being plenty of alternatives to these utilities so I advise avoiding them altogether. If you really don't want to connect to the Internet, simply delete the Wi-Fi settings
This is extremely helpful, thank you!
However, I do wish to play online with my stock sysMMC. How will I best prevent my emunand from connecting while allowing my stock to play online? Should I really be avoiding exosphere/90DNS/etc in that case? I wasn't aware about making backups between each online play session, as I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else. Thanks for the heads up! To avoid it being tedious, should I instead make a backup after I'm done for the day? Or is one after every session the best choice? Also, when you say
  • And so long as you never launch CFW or homebrew, the backups will not be tainted.
do you mean at all or while on sysmmc?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is extremely helpful, thank you!
However, I do wish to play online with my stock sysMMC. How will I best prevent my emunand from connecting while allowing my stock to play online? Should I really be avoiding exosphere/90DNS/etc in that case? I wasn't aware about making backups between each online play session, as I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else. Thanks for the heads up! To avoid it being tedious, should I instead make a backup after I'm done for the day? Or is one after every session the best choice? Also, when you say

do you mean at all or while on sysmmc?
As I stated previously, removing the Wi-Fi settings is sufficient in preventing emuMMC from connecting to the Internet. While 90DNS and exosphere offer ways to block connection to Nintendo, they aren't foolproof and each have their own "holes" to speak. 90DNS relies on an external DNS server to redirect wireless traffic while exosphere doesn't block all information from being transmitted such as battery ID. Therefore, deleting the Wi-Fi settings is the most reliable way of not going online.

Also, my advise was to not consistently make backups. Since you will not be using CFW or homebrew on sysMMC, the chances of a brick on there is highly unlikely. Just having a single backup is sufficient for your use case in the highly unlikely event that sysMMC does get bricked. What I would recommend though is to periodically make backups of your emuMMC since it will be regularly loading CFW and other various hacks which can cause it to malfunction. How often is up to your discretion as there is no right or wrong frequency.

And for the last question, yes I mean while on sysMMC. Running CFW/homebrew on emuMMC will not affect sysMMC as those two are treated as separate consoles; the only difference between that emuMMC exists on your SD card whereas sysMMC is your literal physical Nintendo Switch.

Reactions: jellwiifish

jellwiifish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As I stated previously, removing the Wi-Fi settings is sufficient in preventing emuMMC from connecting to the Internet. While 90DNS and exosphere offer ways to block connection to Nintendo, they aren't foolproof and each have their own "holes" to speak. 90DNS relies on an external DNS server to redirect wireless traffic while exosphere doesn't block all information from being transmitted such as battery ID. Therefore, deleting the Wi-Fi settings is the most reliable way of not going online.

Also, my advise was to not consistently make backups. Since you will not be using CFW or homebrew on sysMMC, the chances of a brick on there is highly unlikely. Just having a single backup is sufficient for your use case in the highly unlikely event that sysMMC does get bricked. What I would recommend though is to periodically make backups of your emuMMC since it will be regularly loading CFW and other various hacks which can cause it to malfunction. How often is up to your discretion as there is no right or wrong frequency.

And for the last question, yes I mean while on sysMMC. Running CFW/homebrew on emuMMC will not affect sysMMC as those two are treated as separate consoles; the only difference between that emuMMC exists on your SD card whereas sysMMC is your literal physical Nintendo Switch.
That clears everything up! Thank you so much. I still have a few days before my jig and system arrive, so I'll be preparing until then. :yay:

Reactions: Draxzelex

WarioBalotelli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Soo,
i got hekate running, even atmosphere. so, i´m fiddling with auto boot. now, when i shut the console down from atmosphere it get´s in a kind of sleepmode. only the usb connection to my pc wakes it up and automagically goes into RCM, i´ll have to send the hekate payload to boot it in atmo. how can i achieve this:

power button -> boot into atmosphere from emummc

right now the power button acts as an rcm enabler.

is there a way to proper this?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soo,
i got hekate running, even atmosphere. so, i´m fiddling with auto boot. now, when i shut the console down from atmosphere it get´s in a kind of sleepmode. only the usb connection to my pc wakes it up and automagically goes into RCM, i´ll have to send the hekate payload to boot it in atmo. how can i achieve this:

power button -> boot into atmosphere from emummc

right now the power button acts as an rcm enabler.

is there a way to proper this?

You need a internal modchip if you don't want a pc or payload dongle to be tethered to it.

askronaut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can someone tell me how i got banned? i have pirated nsp’s on emu, and only use them on emu.

i have all nintendo servers blocked. the only thing i can think of is using fpslocker on sysnand, is that bannable? i used it on RDR which is a single player game.

edit: wanted to add ive had the mariokart 8 cartridge inserted the whole time, could that have done it?

Last edited by askronaut,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can someone tell me how i got banned? i have pirated nsp’s on emu, and only use them on emu.

i have all nintendo servers blocked. the only thing i can think of is using fpslocker on sysnand, is that bannable? i used it on RDR which is a single player game.

Possibly, homebrew can get you banned also, just not as often as nsp.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Your Red Dead Redemption is a legit purchased game, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c