Hacking Discussion Switch EmuNAND seems it will come way faster than what everyone thought! :)

What OFWs do you think the EmuNAND will more likely to support?

• OFW 1.0.0 through 3.0.0

• OFW 3.0.1 through 4.0.0

• OFW 4.0.1 through 5.1.0

• OFW 1.0.0 through 5.1.0

Results are only viewable after voting.

NeoSlyde

Let us start the game
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wouldn't it be better to play online with sysnand and keep the emunand that requires CFW offline? This way your sysnand is legit and won't get banned, and your offline emunand has no way (or a lesser chance) of being discovered while allowing you enjoy homebrew.
What if your sysnand is 1.0.0 or 3.0.0
It’s gonna be useful for coldboot or smtg like this

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people still don't understand what Emunand is. It's a sandboxed environment, whatever you do in there is quarantined - so it's a safety precaution. When you update your firmware, the emunand's firmware gets updated. The sysnand's firmware can remain the same forever and Nintendo will never find out what your real firmware version is.

Wezaa

Trophies
XP
Country
Some people still don't understand what Emunand is. It's a sandboxed environment, whatever you do in there is quarantined - so it's a safety precaution. When you update your firmware, the emunand's firmware gets updated. The sysnand's firmware can remain the same forever and Nintendo will never find out what your real firmware version is.

If you want to go online it's still kind of pointless. (Unless you are willing to update your sysnand too)

Nintendo might be able to detect if you are running an emunand if you go online while in emunand. So even if you aren't running personal backups or pirated ones, you could still be banned just for being in emu. (Maybe they won't be able to detect this, we have no guarantee either way).

If you wanna keep sysnand on the lowest possible firmware so you have more potential exploits, you won't be able to use the actual sysnand to go online, update games, or play any games beyond your current fw.

Using a jig and dongle/phone/PC every now and then (leave the console in sleep mode) is just not that big of a deal. An exploit that you can run by simply booting the console would be great, it is just not a big enough of an inconvenience using Fusee Gelee to care about it.
If you are gonna keep both nands up to date, than I can understand the use of emu as a 100% offline system for homebrew/piracy. While using sys for online play and genuine games.
Bear in mind that we also have no guarantees that Nintendo won't be able to detect even on the sysnand that an emu has been used on the console due the apparently recorded logs. The logs may also (not sure if confirmed) keep track of the number of times a console enters RCM. Maybe they will just ban all consoles that enter RCM more than a set number of times as it's a very good indicator that you are probably "hacking" your console.

This is a time will tell situation.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lmao it’s the opposite
Emunand is used for online because you can update it
And sysnand for backups because it stays always offline
There's only 1 problem where is the sysnand CFW for backups other than paying for TX OS?

Anyway using emunand for online is also a lot more risky than having systnand updated for online and emunand offline for backups, emulators and everything, just removing the SD console stay 100% original.

Anyway I want is emunand CFW offline and I will probably leave the nand untouched on 3.02 4 ever until someone comes up with a cold boot hack. I don't care a single bit for the online pay-to-play awesome world of consoles, I guess I will keep playing online on PC 4 free...

I even have PsPlus on my PS4 and last online game I played was like a year ago when BF1 came out, other than that I play GT Sport from time to time but only time trial, not online racing...

Last edited by guily6669,

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
No, if you want a offline EmuNAND for some dark things like backup loader, and a clean SysNAND to play online, so near 0 risk of ban.

But don't you think that EmuNAND on your SD card will actually perform less efficiently than your internal memory card?
If IRC someone said that in terms of performance internal SD > Gamecard Slot > External SD card.
So we might experience some slowdowns or crashes with games on the Emunand!?

Anyway I want is emunand CFW offline and I will probably leave the nand untouched on 3.02 4 ever until someone comes up with a cold boot hack. I don't care a single bit for the online pay-to-play awesome world of consoles, I guess I will keep playing online on PC 4 free...

But at some point you'll want to go online with your EmuNAND to grab some DLC and updates of your games.

Thetoto

Trophies
XP
Country
France
But don't you think that EmuNAND on your SD card will actually perform less efficiently than your internal memory card?
If IRC someone said that in terms of performance internal SD > Gamecard Slot > External SD card.
If you're using a backup loader, your game is in the SD card. So it's the same problem.

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
If you're using a backup loader, your game is in the SD card. So it's the same problem.

Not quite because the actual Sysnand is performing from the internal SD card.
I am wondering how the actual System will fare being on the external SD card though.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But at some point you'll want to go online with your EmuNAND to grab some DLC and updates of your games.
No, at some point we will most likely have updated games packed together or a way to inject\install updates+DLC...

About performance I wonder that too and asked before but no clear answer yet...

However I'm confident it will still run fast.

Actually games on the SD run faster than the original game, they load faster, it's tested on YouTube mostly because of the encryption used on the gamecards...

Reactions: Thetoto and Zumoly
D

Deleted User

after the hekate fiasco he stopped working on switch completely. Emunand died that way :o

D

Deleted User

When Hekate became associated with LayeredFS piracy.
exactly. some major dev quit working on switch after that because they dislike piracy and dont want their tools to be used by pirates.
emunand is useless for most non piracy people anyway.
only devs could make use of it and those know how to make their own emunand ...

CTCaer

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
He didn't stop actually.
It's internal work only now.

He doesn't only have emunand more than a month now, but also a whole emmc api which can be directed to any possible device or protocol (usb, sd, usb PC emulator, etc).

Also he didn't care about the usage, but about association (layeredfs was the gateway to that, not hekate).

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EMMC > Gamecard NAND > External SD NAND
I seem to recall speedtests done when the switch first came out and the different was miniscule.
Also, SD nand was faster than GC nand not the way you have it.

According to Panasonic, SD nand can be quicker than emmc but it seems the switch is not taking full advantage of it.

Source: https://na.industrial.panasonic.com/blog/emmc-vs-sd-cards

Not quite because the actual Sysnand is performing from the internal SD card.
I am wondering how the actual System will fare being on the external SD card though.
What is Horizon doing that is so performance demanding?

after the hekate fiasco he stopped working on switch completely. Emunand died that way :o
exactly. some major dev quit working on switch after that because they dislike piracy and dont want their tools to be used by pirates.
emunand is useless for most non piracy people anyway.
only devs could make use of it and those know how to make their own emunand ...
Don't worry, TX will come through.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

PrimeMG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
He didn't stop actually.
It's internal work only now.

He doesn't only have emunand more than a month now, but also a whole emmc api which can be directed to any possible device or protocol (usb, sd, usb PC emulator, etc).

Also he didn't care about the usage, but about association (layeredfs was the gateway to that, not hekate).

Expected release date? :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, a mixture of that and herbert the pervert +1