Do I have to update OFW?

PartyWave269

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My switch is on 10.0.0 for my OFW, and I am running atmosphere 1.4.1 on my emuMMC. I am having an issue launching Mario Party Superstar's it says "The software closed because an error occurred" and it takes me back to the home screen.

I've done new sigpatches, tried the game without updates, with updates, xci version, nsp version, tried downloading it from multiple sources, I booted into maintenance mode, then rebooted into atmosphere.

Nothing seems to work, I stumbled across a rom website with mario party superstars on it, and it mentions the firmware versions needed: Base(Dump)=11.0.0 / Base(eShop)=12.1.0.... I take it my OFW is too old, and needs to be updated? from what I read in the past I thought you'd never need to update your OFW?

I think at one point in the past I may have booted CFW from my sysnand, so I was planning on restoring to my original 10.0.0 nand dump from when I first modded, then update to 15.0.0, and dump again for a clean backup? Is there an easier way ?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My switch is on 10.0.0 for my OFW, and I am running atmosphere 1.4.1 on my emuMMC. I am having an issue launching Mario Party Superstar's it says "The software closed because an error occurred" and it takes me back to the home screen.

I've done new sigpatches, tried the game without updates, with updates, xci version, nsp version, tried downloading it from multiple sources, I booted into maintenance mode, then rebooted into atmosphere.

Nothing seems to work, I stumbled across a rom website with mario party superstars on it, and it mentions the firmware versions needed: Base(Dump)=11.0.0 / Base(eShop)=12.1.0.... I take it my OFW is too old, and needs to be updated? from what I read in the past I thought you'd never need to update your OFW?

I think at one point in the past I may have booted CFW from my sysnand, so I was planning on restoring to my original 10.0.0 nand dump from when I first modded, then update to 15.0.0, and dump again for a clean backup? Is there an easier way ?
if you’re running AMS 1.4.1, just look for Darthsternie Firmware. Extract it to your /firmware folder (create it if it doesn’t exist) the go into homebrew and launch Daybreak to update firmware based on the files you downloaded.

Reactions: kidkat210

PartyWave269

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you’re running AMS 1.4.1, just look for Darthsternie Firmware. Extract it to your /firmware folder (create it if it doesn’t exist) the go into homebrew and launch Daybreak to update firmware based on the files you downloaded.
Using daybreak doesn't burn fuses right? So essentially I'm just updating the CFW side of the switch? My clean side is staying untouched?

Reactions: binkinator

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using daybreak doesn't burn fuses right? So essentially I'm just updating the CFW side of the switch? My clean side is staying untouched?
the only way you burn efuses is when you boot ofw without going through a bootloader like hekate, fusee.bin, etc. after updating sysnand. updating emunand wont affect the sysnand.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, so using daybreak I'm updating emunand and not sysnand?
Yes. There’s really no reason to upgrade unless you can‘t play a particular game you want. The features coming down from Nintendo are largely cosmetic. If it works to play games, it’s perfect where it is. You will likely be playing mostly on emunand so that’s where you will likely want to upgrade to latest and be all set for a very long time If you so desire.

PartyWave269

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. There’s really no reason to upgrade unless you can‘t play a particular game you want. The features coming down from Nintendo are largely cosmetic. If it works to play games, it’s perfect where it is. You will likely be playing mostly on emunand so that’s where you will likely want to upgrade to latest and be all set for a very long time If you so desire.
I am using the latest atmosphere which I think was 1.4.1? Should I update to the latest switch firmware as well? I think it's 15.0.0?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using the latest atmosphere which I think was 1.4.1? Should I update to the latest switch firmware as well? I think it's 15.0.0?
1.4.1 is latest Atmosphere. If you’re already there then you can go to latest FW if you’d like. If you search for Darthsternie he might have 15.0.1 for you to download. ;-)

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, you want the latest possible. The latest is the Rebootless (md5 hash 4fe164705b2392592553586f7cf9d03e)
Thought they were the same content…one was rebootless the other not.

Just for my understanding…not that anything will blow up.

komabear

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I've recently hacked a switch for a friend where this kept happening on installed games (error "The software closed because an error occurred") - it was on the latest FW version, so I don't think that it has anything to do with it.

What was actually happening was that there was no Nintendo account on the console (it had just been reset), so we had to run linkalho to link the offline account to a fake online account. After that we updated sigpatches and it worked.

Note that we also got that error after installing a NSP that hadn't been fully been downloaded (there was no error, we used Awoo to install it and everything seemed fine, but when trying to open the game we got the "The software closed because an error occurred" error. After checking, the download of the game hadn't finished when we installed it. I didn't even know that was possible!)

PartyWave269

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've recently hacked a switch for a friend where this kept happening on installed games (error "The software closed because an error occurred") - it was on the latest FW version, so I don't think that it has anything to do with it.

What was actually happening was that there was no Nintendo account on the console (it had just been reset), so we had to run linkalho to link the offline account to a fake online account. After that we updated sigpatches and it worked.

Note that we also got that error after installing a NSP that hadn't been fully been downloaded (there was no error, we used Awoo to install it and everything seemed fine, but when trying to open the game we got the "The software closed because an error occurred" error. After checking, the download of the game hadn't finished when we installed it. I didn't even know that was possible!)
Well in my case I have 2 accounts on this switch, one of them we had used to play online before we hacked the console.

The other thing with my situation is it's only 1 game that's giving me an issue, but of course it's the game the wife wants to play the most 😂

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Just get the latest Atmosphere version and install it.
Then get the latest Firmware version, and install it.
Then get the latest sigpatches and install them.

All of this on your emunand of course. You need Daybreak to update the FW on your emunand. Don't worry about OFW at all.

If after doing all of this the game still won't start. Try getting it from a different source. Also check if you are installing updates to it, or DLC, as sometimes they cause problems. So installing the base game and checking if it works before intallling updates-DLC is a good idea to determine if that's the issue.

If after doing all of that it still won't work, well.. I would try to disable everything else (like sys-clk, tesla overlays, reverse-nx, etc) or do an Atmosphere clean install. Also linking a fake Nintendo account using linkalho as someone above suggested could work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Accidently ok. :tpi: