Switch a good emulator hardware?

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a new iPad and I am very disappointed because retroarch will not even emulate PSX properly (enhanced resolution etc.). I guess it is because JIT is missing. Is there anything that can be done to improve emulation on the iPad?

faithvoid

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
virtual.dimensionless.space
XP
Country
Canada
I was looking into a good console that I could play on my tv for emulators, but also handheld would be a plus. Is the switch good hardware to run most emulators? My main thing is simplicity plug into tv and grab a controller instead of a mini pc to set things up and then grab a controller. Open to all options, but needing my emulator fix and I dont game on my computer screen at all. So its tv and some handheld. Thanks.

I'd argue that it's pretty good for what it is. I constantly use RetroArch on my Switch to play PS1, NES/SNES and Sega Genesis games with a slight overclock (I usually OC the CPU to 1224MHz/1428MHz and downclock the GPU to 76MHz as there's usually tons of GPU headroom left over) with pretty much no major issues, and using the sys-con and Mission Control plugins I can use a whole variety of different system's controllers perfectly (although you may not need any plugins at all for USB controller support in RetroArch? I'm not fully sure). PSP/Dreamcast games also work, but those tend to work a lot better in L4T Ubuntu / L4T Android or Lakka (Games like GTA LCS/VCS pretty much run full-speed but are plagued by stuttering issues as the world loads, most other games that don't stream data constantly should be fine though, except for more graphically intense titles like God of War). N64 games are a bit of a struggle but SM64 has a native homebrew port and Zelda OoT works fine enough with some tweaking so the Big Two (tm) work at least. I'd watch a few videos about emulators on the Switch before biting the bullet on getting a Switch for retro emulation use just so you can set your expectations accordingly.

• Angry
Reactions: ChibiMofo

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Are you saying the steamdeck, or are there different handhelds that will have hdmi out to tv? not caught up on anything other than the steamdeck
No, not the Steamdeck. The same old 100 bucks android based handhelds manufacturers (and some new ones) are using new, more powerful chips and Linux emulation this year for around 350 and will emulate upto Gamecube/PS2 level with ease. TV output, external controllers etc..

Way above and beyond the Switch and hands on previews have been promising but the mid season versions coming later are the ones to watch for as they'll be the ultimate all in one emulation solution. No need to mod prehistoric Switch hardware and then use crappy ports of barely optimized emulators when the dedicated Open Handhelds will run well developed apps directly.

Tumbleweed

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why u guys are suggesting steamdeck? Wtf…. I could buy what? 3 or 4 switches for the price of one steamdeck IF im lucky enough to even be able to get one…

Reactions: Minattz

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Pretty basic hardware. If you want to emulate until snes and neo geo, you will be fine with retroarch. After this, not so much. ps1, n64 and saturn you will get mixed results.

6 generation and up, you don't even think about it.

Also, you can't use advanced shaders like crt royale. Switch can't handle. Simple scanline effect at most.

Minattz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone consider a nvidia shield pro? Im trying to think of ease of use for tv turn on and pick up a gamepad.

CloudStrife190100

HaxCommunity
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Emulation for me on the switch is hit and miss. I'll stick to using my Samsung galaxy s20fe with the snap dragon processor. This thing runs most things up to wii at decent speeds

Steam deck on the other hand is probably something you should invest in especially if a docking method releases

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Games like GTA LCS/VCS pretty much run full-speed but are plagued by stuttering issues as the world loads,
this isn't an emulator issue even the official pbp shop files on psp had this issue due to it being compressed so you are 100% using a cso file. use an iso file instead

faithvoid

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
virtual.dimensionless.space
XP
Country
Canada
this isn't an emulator issue even the official pbp shop files had this issue due to it being compressed so you are 100% using a cso file. use an iso file instead

Nope, all my PSP games are in uncompressed .iso format and I don't get any stutters playing them on my desktop. Trust me, I know all about .cso compression as someone who owned a PSP as long as they were relevant. LCS/VCS are just finnicky I think. 😛

• Angry
Reactions: ChibiMofo

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, all my PSP games are in uncompressed .iso format and I don't get any stutters playing them on my desktop. Trust me, I know all about .cso compression as someone who owned a PSP as long as they were relevant. LCS/VCS are just finnicky I think. 😛
the only time the gta games should ever have that issue is if they are compressed I didn't have that issue at all

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty basic hardware. If you want to emulate until snes and neo geo, you will be fine with retroarch. After this, not so much. ps1, n64 and saturn you will get mixed results.

6 generation and up, you don't even think about it.

Also, you can't use advanced shaders like crt royale. Switch can't handle. Simple scanline effect at most.
Dreamcast and Gameboy Advance are systems from the 6th generation, both run great with or without overclock. Nintendo DS from 7th gen using melon DS runs almost perfect for the majority of games. N64, as said, is a mixed bag. Between HOS, switchroot android and lakka we can play almost the full N64 library. Some nice widescreen mods (super mario world and super metroid) can be played (lag free or stuttering) with bsnes hd beta with a full overclock on HOS (2295 cpu, 921 gpu, 2131 ram), same for some arcade demanding games (cruisin usa). An overclock practice not recomended for mixed reasons, but the system can reach a good performance if pushing it to the next -warning- level.

Esdeath

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why u guys are suggesting steamdeck? Wtf…. I could buy what? 3 or 4 switches for the price of one steamdeck IF im lucky enough to even be able to get one…
Sure m8, tell me where I can get the switches for that price, cause I could probably sell them for double on eBay, especially since they need to be unpatched.
The Steam deck or similar devices provide a much better experience and should be a much better investment than a 5 year old console, except of course the switch could be obtained for a bargain.

Reactions: bad361

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a heads up that the Ayn Odin, while a great android handheld, the docked experienced seems to be quite bad at the moment in terms of massive input lag. I would at least research that for any solutions before jumping in to it.

If you're willing to give up handheld there's a bunch of other TV-only options. But personally I would only go that route if you're gaining something big for the sacrifice, like the following:

Pi: Normally quite cheap ($50) and handles up to 5th gen, but seems to be super scalped at the moment.

Mister FPGA: Same kind of systems as Pi, but it is absurdly accurate, zero lag, perfect timing, but far more expensive at around Switch prices. More for the purist given the price gap.

Xbox Series S: You can install Retroarch and play up to Gamecube quite well. But this is probably more about the versatility of having a digital xbox, especially with gamepass.

Mini-PC: Opens up 3DS, Wii U, PS2 and the like, but you will need to use mouse to interact with emulators from time to time, which could be a dealbreaker.

As for more powerful handhelds, Steam Deck is the best one on paper, but getting one for MSRP will be challenging if you aren't willing to wait like a year. And the Deck's main performance advantage over competing handheld PCs is more on the GPU side, which isn't as relevant for emulation. Still the competition tends to be more around $1000 so its quite expensive just for picking up some of the 6th gen+ systems the Switch can't manage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety