Hardware Swapping Switches housing

yashar13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello guys, I am wondering if I can swap the housing from a day1 Nintendo Switch to the New 2019 Switch with improved battery life.
I just wanna use the old housing in the new one. Do you think is possible?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello guys, I am wondering if I can swap the housing from a day1 Nintendo Switch to the New 2019 Switch with improved battery life.
I just wanna use the old housing in the new one. Do you think is possible?

I don't see why not, besides a different SoC and maybe some differences on the board, they should be the same, but why? The housing is identical, no?
Replacing the shell on the Switch is not the easiest thing, the touch digitizer and screen are glued pretty well in place and require some heat to remove. As does the battery.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
afaik the improved power is due to the improved Soc, the battery afaik is the exact same battery, so while you probably could swap the housing, you wouldn't see any gains in terms of battery life (except for the difference in terms of a new battery vs a used battery)

also there are different revisions of the screen, i know some switches have a different backlight setup, so even if the display works on an old switch the backlight might not

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Frankbel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
afaik the improved power is due to the improved Soc, the battery afaik is the exact same battery, so while you probably could swap the housing, you wouldn't see any gains in terms of battery life (except for the difference in terms of a new battery vs a used battery)

also there are different revisions of the screen, i know some switches have a different backlight setup, so even if the display works on an old switch the backlight might not
I have switched monitors on laptops with different resolution and they just worked fine. Of course, as long as those monitor are "known" by the motherboard. Hence, my guess is that you can switch panel on the switch without caring about the variant. Backlighting is part of the display hardware.

Reactions: yashar13

yashar13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok thanks for the replies, the point of doing this it's just because I bought a custom housing for my day1 switch and now am gonna buy the new switch and wanted to use that custom one on the new switch

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I have switched monitors on laptops with different resolution and they just worked fine. Of course, as long as those monitor are "known" by the motherboard. Hence, my guess is that you can switch panel on the switch without caring about the variant. Backlighting is part of the display hardware.
i have fixed a few switches and some combinations of screen/board do not work, the screen itself works if you hold it up to a light but the backlight doesn't power on and there is a visible difference in the backlight flex cable which is separate from the main display flex

LordRahl72

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks for the replies, the point of doing this it's just because I bought a custom housing for my day1 switch and now am gonna buy the new switch and wanted to use that custom one on the new switch

That bit of information would have solved some confusion about your question to begin with.

But yes. Your old housing should work just fine with the new Switch model.

yashar13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But I don't want to replace the screen, I just want to exchange the plastic cover like this in the picture
5d1abddc233226c36ef0f8dd73a0d378.jpg

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It appears the backlight is on a separate ribbon cable on the Switch. But in all likelihood they didn't change the cables/connectors for the LCD, since it seems like a pretty minimal redesign.
In principle, is it possible to combine two switches (new series and unpatched one) in order to get an unpatched new unit?
As you may already know, there are two ways to hack a Switch, either through the RCM exploit which requires an unpatched SoC, or through software exploits like Caffeine which requires a sufficiently old firmware version.

Sadly, the SoC and NAND are tied together by the encryption keys used to encrypt the NAND being stored in the SoC, so you'd have to swap out both parts, which even if the old and new SoC are pin compatible, swapping out the SoC and NAND for an old model one would essentially just turn your new model Switch into an OG one.

Even if you could somehow get the keys from the new console, and re-encrypt the NAND of the old console (with a sufficiently old firmware version to be exploited, currently <= 4.1) to match that of the new one so you could keep the new SoC, you would run into issues with the fuse count not matching when trying to load an older firmware leading to the system not booting, nevermind that such an old firmware wouldn't have all the changes added to support the new SoC, and nevermind that by the point you have enough access to dump the keys you are already able to launch payloads anyway.

Since you can't downgrade a Switch even by physically replacing the NAND chip, and switching out both the SoC and NAND in this case would be rather pointless (even if it might theoretically work), the only way the new model Switch is ever getting hacked is if a new RCM or firmware exploit is found, or some sort of hardware exploit is discovered (think glitch chips on the 360)
I think it's likely to happen eventually, but for now anyone wanting to hack their new model Switch (or Switch Lite) will just have to hang on.
There's no way to cheat that, I'm afraid.

Reactions: Frankbel

Frankbel

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sadly, the SoC and NAND are tied together by the encryption keys used to encrypt the NAND being stored in the SoC, so you'd have to swap out both parts, which even if the old and new SoC are pin compatible, swapping out the SoC and NAND for an old model one would essentially just turn your new model Switch into an OG one.
There's no way to cheat that, I'm afraid.
Clear enough, thanks!

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. But why?
Any display should Just Work(tm) on any hardware variation. I don’t think they ever changed the connector or anything like that.
SPOILER: old SoCs aren’t compatible with new boards :P

also downgrading is possible in some circumstances. Though the only circumstance where is possible on Mariko is completely pointless and actually makes you lose exploits (8.0.x ——> 7.0.x)

bis keys aren’t in the SoC. They’re derived from keys in the SoC though :shrek:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1